Monday, 3 April 2017

Chapter 13


 



Chapter 13: Standoff
 
“So did you have fun?” James asked slightly concerned.
            “Yes and no. Alex and I got into a fight, I started walking home and my night vision had already kicked in, then I realized that I didn’t have my cell or keys so I went back to the house to got them and then I got sick.  I think because I was so angry at the time I didn’t notice that I was using my night vision and I over did it.  I feel like a bit of a fool for thinking I could be a normal kid for a night.  I’m not normal and I have to accept that.” I said flatly looking away from James and out window gazing at the lake.  All I wanted was to be a regular kid.  It was so depressing knowing that I would never be normal.
“Anna, you can have fun.  Perhaps you did overdo it a bit, you’re normally in bed by ten, so it could be because you stayed up really late or it could be because of the stress of your fight with Alex.” he suggested gently pulling me into a quick reassuring hug.  He felt so safe, I wish he was my father.
“It’s possible, Alex was being a supreme jerk last night and after he told me off I was too angry and hurt by what he said.” I answered frustrated.  “Don’t worry I’ll tell them it was great and it was until the end.” I half smiled.  We didn’t speak for the rest of the ride home.  Once we got home I put the outfit away and got back into bed.  Around noon I got a phone call.
“Hey, Anna.”
“Hi, Lizzy.” I said drowsily
“Why did you go home so early, we could have done something together today, are you feeling okay?” she asked.
“I didn’t want to disturb you while you and everyone else were sleeping.   I had a lot of fun last night until the end.  I’m really glad you invited me and don’t worry I just have a slight headache.” I said honestly.
“Your welcome and thanks for helping with the clean up you didn’t have to do that.” she said warmly.

“I didn’t mind, it kept me busy while I waited for James.” I tried to sound happy.

“Alex is really sorry about his behaviour Anna, he feels awful.” Lizzy said quietly.

“He should feel that way.  I’m sorry Lizzy but I don’t want to talk about him, it was nice of him to stay with me through the night but right now I still think he’s an asswipe and I don’t want anything to do with him.” I grumbled.

“Give him a chance to make it up to you.” Lizzy pled.

“Why, so he can treat me like that again.  I don’t think so and people always wondered why I didn’t date much.  I mean really, why bother if you’re going to be treated like that.” I said coolly.

“He didn’t mean it.  He was jealous and stupid and I know that is no excuse but it’s true.  He’s been beating himself up all morning especially when you got sick and then slipped out of the house this morning without letting him apologize.” She tried again.

“Well perhaps he needs to learn to control his temper.   I have to go Lizzy I need to get some rest, my headache is getting worse.  I’ll see you on Monday okay.” I sighed.

“Okay I’ll see you on Monday.” she replied not very happily.  I hung up the phone and closed my eyes.
 
Image result for Huntsville high school Muskoka hallway

On Monday Lizzy met me in the parking lot, I could tell she had something on her mind because she was tapping her foot impatiently.

“Hello Lizzy, what’s up?” I said slowly as I approached her.

“Nothing, just wondering how you’re feeling is all.” Lizzy said looking at her hands.

“I’m fine, now please tell me what’s bothering you before you wear out your shoe.” I said quietly eyeing her.  She shifted uncomfortably and then handed me an envelope.  I took it slowly and opened it.

Anna

I’m very sorry for hurting you the other night.  Lizzy and everyone else were right I was being a jerk.  I should have controlled myself better and I promise it won’t happen again.  I hope you’ll be able to forgive me.  I never really meant what I said.  I never meant to hurt you.

Alex

I looked at the letter for a moment then folded it up and put it in my pocket.  I looked into the trees fiddling with the ring on my chain then I turned and started to head for class.

“Anna, please wait, don’t be mad at me because of him.” Lizzy whined.  I rolled my eyes at the drama.

“I’m not mad at you but if we don’t get moving we’re going to be late for class and no I’m not going to respond to the letter.  I’m not in the mood to deal with this right now.” I said trying not to show any emotion at all but I knew I was failing.  Lizzy walked me to my locker and we chatted lightly when Mark the jock I had seen in the gym my first day of school approached me.  Mark was your typically tall guy with dark hair and deep hazel eyes.  If he didn’t act like a jerk all the time he would be kind of good looking, well at least better than average.

“Hey Anna, do you want to hang out later.” He said placing his hand on my shoulder.  My anger flared and I spun around.

“Take your filthy hands off me.” I snapped.

“Come on babe, I saw you at the party.  You were looking pretty hot, a party girl.” He smirked.  Half the football team was there watching and so was Alex and Will.  I reacted the only way I knew how.  I stomped on his foot with my heel which brought his head down then I elbowed him in the chin and punched him as hard as I could in the solar plexus and pushed him away from me.  He fell to the ground in agony from my assault.  I knew I was going to get in trouble for this but I didn’t care.

“I will not be used as a cheap piece of trash by the likes you.  I won’t give you or any guy in this school some cheap thrill just because you’re a jock on the stupid football team.  You are a user, all you do is treat girls as if they are nothing and when you get your gratification from them in the gym you treat them like wasted garbage.  You are an ASSHOLE and if you ever touch me or come near my friends again I’ll break every bone in that steroid infested body of yours.  Am I clear?” I spat as I stepped on his crotch and applied moderate pressure. He nodded as tears of pain slowly leaked from his right eye.  I pushed myself upward and grabbed my books to head for class.

“Miss Graham.” Said a stern toned Mr. Chang.  I turned my head slightly to acknowledge him.

“Detention in the music room after school.” He said.  I nodded and continued walking to class.

“Anna I can’t believe you did that.  You were so cool standing up to that jerk.” Sally said quietly.

“Don’t worry about it.  Someone had to do it.” I smiled half heartedly.  I saw Alex out of the corner of my eye and I could see that he was impressed but his expression changed as I walked past him without acknowledging him.  I was still mad and I wasn’t going to give in that easily.  The rest of the day was pretty smooth except that several girls thanked me in the hall or nodded their appreciation for what I had done earlier to Mark.  I was polite to everyone but tried to stay away from them as much as possible.  I didn’t really want to be a hero or a celebrity.  When music class was over I sat quietly waiting for my detention to start.

“Anna, are you going to come over later?” Lizzy asked quietly.

“Can’t, have detention then I have to get home so I can get my homework done and get everything ready for school tomorrow.  Maybe you could spend the weekend at my place and we could go do something in town.” I suggested.  I knew she was trying to get me to her place so that she could conveniently trap me in a room alone with Alex and I had just dodged that bullet with my suggestion.

“Okay I’ll talk to you later.” She said sadly as she looked at her brother and shook her head ever so slightly.

“Anastasia” Mr. Chang said quietly.

“Yes” I turned to face him.

“You will have detention for two hours every day this week with me.  Now sit at the harp and start practising.” I smiled ever so slightly.  He knew that this really wasn’t a punishment but he had to make it look good because the principal was at the top of the stairs watching us.

“Can I call my godfather first to let him know I’ll be late?” He nodded.

I dialled the number quickly and hit send so that I wouldn’t have to speak to the principal.

“James it’s me.  Don’t worry everything is fine I got into a fight at school because one of those stupid asswipe jocks insulted me.  I put him in his place and now I have a two hour detention every day after school for the rest of the week.” I rattled on.

“Ok kid, who gave you detention?” James said.

“My music teacher.” I responded.

“Let me guess, he’s proud of what you did and he’s just doing this to make it look good because the principal is standing there right.” He chuckled.

“Yes” I answered evenly.

“You’ll be practising the harp I gather.” I could hear the humour in his voice.

“Yes” I answered again.

“If the principal gives you any trouble call me and I’ll deal with it.” James said. 

“Ok.  I’ll call you when I’m on my way home.” I closed my phone and took my seat at the harp.

“Anastasia” the principal said.  I just looked at him not caring what he had to say.

“You shouldn’t have hurt Mark like that.” He looked perplexed by my reaction.

“A stupid jock who forces girls to give him blowjobs in the gym when it’s empty deserves what he gets.  I don’t care what happens to him.  Football is not wise career choice and to be perfectly honest he sucks as a player.  If you want to see real football go to one of my old schools and watch them play, now there’s talent.” I snapped.

“You could have broken his foot with your heal.” He snapped at me.

“But I didn’t so he’ll get over it. Now if you don’t mind I’d like to start my detention so that I can get out of here.  I do have a life beyond this institution.” I practically yawned.

“I’ll be watching you Miss Graham.  If you get out of line again I’ll suspend you.” He turned and walked away.  Well I had been warned I guess I was back to hiding in the music room and library as much as possible.  I smiled slightly and started to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment