Chapter 19: Decisions
Looking out the
window thinking about everything that I had heard yesterday was
overwhelming. My father was in
Huntsville, he had found me once again and I didn’t know what to do. My head was reeling with so much information
that I just didn’t know where to start.
I didn’t want to think about my father so I guess I should sort through
everything else that I heard them talking about.
Vampires now
there’s a concept, what on earth is going on, I mean really, vampires! How is that possible? They are just made up fictional characters
right? They are just scary creatures of our
subconscious, like the monster under the bed or in the closet. They are just figments of the
imagination. Okay, what did I honestly
know about the Foxworth’s and Worthington’s.
Well, they were all exceptionally
beautiful, smart and talented. They seemed
so much older than they appeared and they knew things that no ordinary
seventeen or eighteen year old student would or should know. Alex moved so fast yesterday that it freaked
me out and their eyes were so vibrant, no ordinary human had eyes like that and
the scent that always surrounded them and seem to sooth everyone’s nerves. It was like they could somehow control the
people around them. I wasn’t sure how I
knew this, I just did. Things seemed to
be falling into place and if they were vampires it would explain a lot. If I remembered right Will said that they
were a hundred and twenty five years old and Alex said that Will was older than
he was. I can’t even fathom being alive
that long. Damn they looked good for
their age. I wish I could look like a
super model when I was thirty let alone a hundred. Well the one thing I did know was that none
of them had ever hurt me so they couldn’t be all that bad and Lizzy said that
they were protecting me. James has known
their secret all along. That’s why he was never worried about me going
out with Lizzy or the others. He
encouraged my friendship with them and he told me that things would work
out. He also told me that when he was
with me my protectors were off duty. That
meant that I was always with someone who could protect me or help me
escape. I sat in awe of his brilliance,
have my protectors befriend me without my knowledge of who they truly were so
that I could have a false sense of freedom.
I suddenly felt like a total fool and a caged animal. My father had
found me once again. For the first time
in my life I truly believed that I would never escape my fate. Tears streamed down my cheeks and then my
stomach growled. Great I had been
looking out the window most of the day thinking not realizing that I hadn’t had
anything to eat. Well the only
conclusions I had come to was that everyone was protecting me even if they had
lied to me. I went to the store across
the street and grabbed a few things that I could eat and then had a shower and
went to bed.
Wow my nightmares
were relentless but I had come to terms with the fact that I was being
protected by immortal beings and if the stories were right they fed on
blood. That gave me the creeps but I
guess I would have to live with it. I guess I didn’t care that I was being protected by a group of vampires
it was kind of neat really. Like the
character Michael in the movie Underworld being protected by Selene, how poetic
is that considering I dressed up as her for Halloween. Only as far as I knew I wasn’t going to
become a vampire or a lycan I was still human, just with abilities that you
read about in comic books or watched on TV or movies.
So now I had to
decide what I would do about the knowledge that Alex loved me. It wasn’t something that I understood. I mean he was so out of my league or at least
I thought he was. I knew that he teased
me all the time and Lizzy had said that he wanted me to be his girlfriend but
love was something I hadn’t expected.
Could I possibly be in love with Alex? The thought made my heart quicken, I never
really thought about love before. I had
always hoped that I would meet the man with the green eyes again and the funny
thing is Alex is that man. Never in my
wildest dreams would I have imagined that he was my protector and the more I
thought about it the more I realized that I was in love with him and not just a
little. I had dreamed about Alex every
night since I saw him at the school. I
couldn’t deny it any longer, I couldn’t live without him. Every fiber in my being knew that he was the
only one that I could ever be with. He
made me smile and I had never felt safe, really safe, with anyone but him not
even James made me feel that safe. So I
guess that meant I needed to make a decision about going back to James or stay
on the road and keep running. If I
stayed on the road I could easily go anywhere. I had enough money on me to last about three
months and I could probably stretch it out to last a bit longer if I needed to
but did I really want to keep running?
That was the big question wasn’t it.
I popped another
cheesy into my mouth and started pacing the room. I just didn’t know what to do so I flopped on
the bed yet again and tried to get some sleep.
Day five cooped up
in this stupid hotel room and I still hadn’t made up my mind about what I was
going to do. I felt like such a coward
and a wimp I mean could I really go back and be with Alex and have my happily
ever after? I just didn’t know. It would mean that I would have to face my
father, not something that I really wanted to do. If I wanted to be free I would have to stop
running, was I ready for that? Well I
had some really cool abilities that I had pretty good control over and I was a
great street runner and martial artist so I knew I could defend myself, heck
I’d done it before I could easily do it again.
Well I guess I knew my answer. I
wanted to go back and be with the people I loved but I was still angry with
James so I needed to work that out before I did anything else.
James had been
wonderful to me since I arrived that was true but he had also lied. I hated being lied to. It was one thing to be
protected it was another when someone you thought you could trust was being
deceitful. Well one thing was for sure
if I go back, James would have to be forth right and honest with me from now
on. I would not allow him to keep me in
the dark especially when it came to my father.
I had been taking care of myself for a long time and I knew that I could
handle whatever situation came my way. I
would deal with each problem as it came but I needed to trust the people around
me. It wasn’t something that I was used
to doing but I had trusted them and James.
I knew they were just trying to keep me from being scared but they
couldn’t protect me from everything. I
paced the room for hours making one small decision at a time. I would go home to James and confront him and
the others, they would either accept my rules or I would disappear for
good. I was willing to fight for my
freedom if it meant that I could stay in Huntsville and make it my home with
Alex and the others. What really
startled me was that I was actually willing to die for it. I would rather die than be separated from any
of them ever again. I loved James as if
he were my father and Lizzy and Cassy as if they were my sisters and I even
loved Will and all his teasing ways.
Alex was more important to me than anything else in the world and I knew
that I couldn’t be separated from him ever again. There had to be a way of breaking this
dreadful curse and if I was going to find a way, I need help. So there’s my answer. I would return to James and fight for my
freedom. The only problem was it was too
late in the day to ride home so I would have to stay one more night in this
retched room.
The next morning I checked out of the roadside
inn and headed south. I knew that I had
to go home I had to face James and then the others. They couldn’t keep me in the dark anymore I
wouldn’t allow it. If they wanted me to
stay they would have to keep me in the loop from now on. I was very good at hiding, James new that
now. What I didn’t know was if he would
agree to my terms and there was only one way to find out and that was a face to
face conversation. And so I raced home
to face him. I didn’t like hurting him
and I knew that he was worried. I
stopped just outside of Huntsville
to fill up my gas tank. I put my cell
phone back together and turned it on I had messages of course and I listened to
each one. James had called everyday
pleading for me to at least call to let him know that I was ok. There were several from Lizzy, Alex, Will and
Cassy as well. I had given them a world
of heart ache and worry, I knew I was in for a blasting, I had been gone for a
week with no explanations or communication.
Well that was just too bad for them.
I wasn’t a child and I wouldn’t let them coddle me or make me feel
bad. If I stayed it would have to be all
or nothing.
No comments:
Post a Comment