Chapter 22: Happiness
I woke up in a strange room. It was dark out, the moon light was coming in
through the window giving the room a soft white glow. I stretched slightly, every muscle in my body
was stiff and I noticed then that my head hurt, it felt as if someone had
stomped repeatedly on my forehead for the fun of it and I felt a bulky bandage
on my wrist. I groaned quietly to
myself.
“How are you feeling?” a familiar voice
whispered.
“I ache all over and my head is killing me.” I
whispered back.
“Are you ok? How’s your shoulder?” I sat up a
bit too quickly and the room started to spin like a roulette wheel. Alex put his hands on my shoulders to keep me
steady in the bed.
“You should lie back down. You expended too much energy today.” and he
gently and pushed me back towards the pillows.
“My shoulder is fine I heal pretty fast,
especially after you slashed your wrist for me.
You shouldn’t have done that. I
could have killed you.” He said seriously.
“I was so scared when you fell. I wanted to fix things between you and me and
then those jerks showed up and ruined it.
I thought that I had lost you, I had to do it and I would do it again.”
I rushed in a whisper trying to hold my tears back. He smiled down at me and brushed a loose
strand of hair away from my face.
“I’m not that easy to kill Anna and besides I’m
a bit mad at you still. Everyone knew
you were back before me that hardly seems fair.” he chided.
I smiled weakly at him. “Well I knew I would be longer with you and I
needed to deal with people one at a time.
I’m surprised Lizzy didn’t let it slip since the two of you are so
connected.” I replied.
“We may be connected, but we have to let each
other in. It’s kind of like a two way
radio, we need to be within range of each other for it to work.” I nodded.
“You still tired” he asked. I nodded again.
“Then I’ll let you sleep” he started to get up
to leave. I grabbed his hand and pulled
him towards me, I didn’t know how he would react but I knew I didn’t want him
to leave. I didn’t want to be alone. I wanted to feel safe and for some reason he
made me feel that way.
“Stay, please” I said softly. I curled up on my side and tugged his hand
again. He curled up behind me and
wrapped his arm around me. I felt safe,
and warm and above all happy. I inhaled deeply savouring the feeling of having
his arms around me, his sent was almost like a combination of jasmine and
vanilla, it was so soothing, it was exactly as I remember it I thought as I
drifted back to sleep quickly in his embrace.
I woke in the morning well rested and perfectly
warm and content. I hadn’t woken up in
the middle of the night soaked in sweat for the first time in months. What a relief that was. I stretched as I slowly started to become
aware of my surroundings. As I slowly
started to move I realized that there was someone very warm beside me and at
that moment I realized my head wasn’t on a pillow. My head was resting on a
very well formed chest that was slowly rising and falling rhythmically. I opened my eyes and slowly turned my face
upward to peek at who I had so conveniently been using as my personal pillow. I saw vivid green emerald eyes staring down
at me with an amused edge to them. His
smirk at what was most likely sheer mortification in my eyes as I realized Alex
had stayed with me all night and that I had made myself perfectly comfortable using
him as my own personal heater and pillow.
I turned bright red at that moment looked down and tried to pull myself
away from him. His arms tightened and I
was in an unbreakable hold, my eyes widened and I looked back into his
eyes.
“I happen to like you where you are if you
don’t mind I’m not ready to let you go yet.” he said in a quiet amused
voice.
“I’m sorry, I-I didn’t mean to. I-I shouldn’t
have. Oh! W-What have I done.” I stuttered in a mortified voice. He laughed quietly.
“You’ve done absolutely nothing but sleep for
the past 12 hours. I rather like having
you here, that way I don’t have to keep tabs on you through my sister although
she is wondering if you’re ever going to get out of bed. She’s a bit mad that I haven’t gotten up
either but I didn’t want to disturb you and since you were using me as a pillow
I had the perfect excuse.” he smiled at me.
“So you see there’s really nothing to worry
about.” I nodded and buried my head in
his chest again, I inhaled deeply trying to relax he smelled so good I must be
in heaven I thought to myself. I could
feel him chuckle again as I started to relax.
“So I’m not in trouble with you then?” I asked
quietly.
“Oh! You’re in big trouble. How could you leave like that? I almost went
insane with worry?” he demanded.
“Well, I was a bit confused and terrified that
I had been found at the time and it’s not like you’re my boyfriend. How was I supposed to know that my leaving
would cause you so much discourse? I
tend to run a lot, that’s how I deal with things. I don’t know any other way of being but once
I made up my mind about things I came back.” I replied almost annoyed. “And you
never said that you liked me, you mostly just teased me and treated me like a
little sister. Between you and Will
trying to make me blush, I can’t read your mind like your sister and she never
told me how you really felt either she just hinted.” I was definitely getting
annoyed. I’ve had this pent up anxiety
about how I felt about Alex for months and I never acted on any of it for two reasons,
one that I couldn’t get attached to anyone because of my stupid ‘Curse’ of an eighteenth
birthday that would force me into a life of servitude and two that Alex was way
out of my league and how could he possibly like his sister’s best friend.
He laughed at me again. “Are you that blind? I would purposely be in the hall between
classes to watch you. I know you saw me,
you would blush ever so nicely and I would go to the music room just to listen
to you practise. What guy do you know
that would do that if he wasn’t interested?” he said exasperated.
“Oh please.
Like I knew that you were in the hall where I could see you on purpose,
I didn’t even know your class schedule last semester and I’ve hardly been in
school this semester. As for you being
in the music room, you ignored me. You
would work on sheet music and play at the synthesizer with head phones on.” I
chided.
“Wow, you’re really a piece of work you know
that. I’ve done everything to convince
myself that I was so out of your league and you’ve had as much of a crush on me
as I had on you.” I almost snapped. I
started to pull away and he let me sit up this time. He appraised me for a second and began to
smirk.
“Nice hair.”
“Arggg.” I growled as I rolled my eyes at
him. I swung my legs over the bed and
started sliding forward. His arm was
around my waist so fast I had no time to react and then I was suddenly sitting
in his lap. He glared at me.
“We’re not done yet.” his eyes narrowing
slightly. I shook my head slowly, I was
not going to win a strength contest that I was sure of but I did need to go to
the bathroom.
“I will come back you know but I DO need to get
to the washroom.” I said as he tightened his arms around me again.
“Please” I whispered. He sighed and reluctantly let me go, I got up
and looked towards the door I expected to be the bathroom I looked at him
questioningly and he nodded. I found my
bag of toiletries on the counter so I decided to have a shower and clean myself
up before I went back into see Alex. I
turned on the water in the shower I was about to get undressed when I heard a
knock at the door. I opened it a crack
and looked up into his amazing green eyes.
“You never said you were going to have a shower,
that’s not fair, I wouldn’t have let you go.” he teased. I shook my head slowly grinning.
“I won’t be long I promise but it would be nice
to feel normal. I have been asleep for
quite a long time and you laughed at my hair.” I stuck my tongue out at
him. His laughter filled the room with
the sound of bell like chimes it was the most amazing sound I had ever heard.
“The robe on the back of the door is for
you. I’ll shower when you’re done so
leave me some hot water.” I closed the door.
“Not a chance” I replied to the door and
chuckled to myself. My shower didn’t
last long enough I was too anxious to get back to Alex. I dried myself off and donned the rob hanging
on the back of the door then I brushed out my tangled hair and brushed my
teeth. I almost felt human again but I
was still feeling off though, I was still exhausted from the day before. I walked back into the bedroom.
“Feel better” Alex asked.
“Yes I do” I smiled as I walked to his side and
sat on the bed.
“Lizzy brought some clothes for you, there over
there on the desk. I’ll be done in a few
minutes, then I’ll rebandage your wrist and then we can go get breakfast or
lunch rather” he smirked and shook his head as he went into the bathroom and
closed the door. I quickly got dressed. Lizzy had packed my favourite jeans and a
couple of different tops. I chose a
light navy blue T-shirt. I found my hair
combs and pulled my wet hair up so that it wouldn’t fall into my face. I placed the robe I had used on the back of
the chair I didn’t want to take it off because it smelled so good, it smelled
like him. I was off in my own world fiddling
with the ring around my neck as he immerged from the bathroom with nothing but
a towel wrapped around his waist. I was
awestruck. He looked glorious, his messy
wet blond hair fell perfectly around his face, his chest was perfectly formed
and a six pack for abs that any guy or girl for that matter would give anything
for. He had well formed shoulders and
his arms were nicely sculpted. I felt like
I was looking at one of the figures in a Michael Angelo painting. He was beyond words, the most beautiful
creature I had ever be held. I realized
I was staring when he smiled widely at me. I turned quickly trying to hide my blush at
being caught. A few seconds later I felt
his arms wrap around my waist.
“Why are you blushing” he asked in a very
amused tone.
“Oh no reason, just a practically naked guy
walked into the room and took me by surprise is all.” I said as I looked at my
feet.
“Does it bother you to be so close to me? I already know how you feel about me. ” he whispered in my
ear his lips lightly brushing against my neck.
I shivered my heart racing.
“No, I like being close to you, a little too
much.” I confessed. I could feel his
warm breath on my neck.
“hmm” he said.
I shivered again and I leaned my head back into his shoulder. I never wanted to be anywhere else but in his
arms.
“Here let me bandage your wrist again. It will take a few weeks to heal but it
shouldn’t scar too badly.” Alex said as he inspected the gash across my wrist.
“How do you know how I feel about you?” I asked
curiously.
“Your blood told me and the fact that you
whispered in my ear helped.” He smiled warmly.
“What do you mean my blood told you?” I cocked
my head to the side gazing at him curiously.
“The reason we don’t drink human blood is because
we can learn a person’s experiences or emotions. Like snap shots, feelings or images. It’s hard to explain but it also ties us to
that person and if a vampire has feelings for the one they feed on it can be a
very intense and rather sexual experience.
Some vampires do it to gain secrets so that they can manipulate people while
others just get high from the sensation.
We’re all a bit different.” Alex explained as he put the finishing
touches on my bandage.
“What did you experience?” I asked curiously. Alex smiled as he gazed at me deciding what
exactly he was going to say.
“Well it was a very intense and interesting
experience. First I felt your fear for
my life, it was so intense that it almost smothered me but once I got past that
I felt your loyalty to James and my family and your love for us but I also saw
your intense feelings for me. I was
shocked at how you felt. I had no idea, I
was so overwhelmed by it that I got lost in it, it was like I could actually
touch your soul. Then I saw snapshots
that I don’t understand, of an alleyway and two men and a woman who looks like
you with her hair blowing in the wind, it’s a beautiful image really. Max had to stop me or I could have drained
you, thankfully I didn’t drink that much or you would be in worse shape. You’ll be weak for a few days until you
replenish your blood supply.” Alex said softly as he watched for any sign of
distress.
“Well you know how I feel but you haven’t
really told me how you feel. I can guess
but it would be nice to hear it.” I said quietly looking down at my hands.
“Anna I could barely live without you before
and now I don’t think I would survive if anything were to happen to you. You are my soul and the light in my life,
without you I’d be nothing.” He said softly.
I smiled and nodded. I guess that
was his way of saying that he loved me.
Alex brushed my cheek with two of his fingers and then traced them down
my neck and finally rested his hand over my heart. I sighed contently and then as usual my
stomach kicked in and demanded to be fed.
I blushed slightly as Alex smiled and nodded.
“I guess we better get something to eat I’m
sure Max and James and everyone else for that matter have a few questions for
you.” Alex sighed. When we got up I
noticed he had jeans on and a cream coloured short sleeved polo shirt. I hadn’t realized he had dressed so quickly I
was too focused on our conversation, I wonder how he does that?
“You can move really fast can’t you?” I
asked. He smiled.
“Not as fast as Max, Katie, George or Stephan
but yes I do move relatively fast when I want to. I suppose you have a lot of question about
us?” he looked at me questioningly.
“Yes I do, but I want to know where we stand
before I leave this room. What are we exactly, are we dating now?” I asked
quietly looking into his eyes trying to figure out how he would take the
question.
He smiled “I guess you could say that, I kind of
like the idea of you being my girlfriend even if I think of you as more than
that. You are a part of me now.” he
replied.
“What about this?” I asked as I showed him his
ring that was still hanging around my neck.
“I’m glad you still have it.” He smiled.
“Why did you give it to me?” I asked curiously.
“I wanted you to remember me, you were
amazingly strong and I was surprised that you trusted me so completely. You always held my hand or slept in my lap. Those few days on the bus with you changed me
forever. I knew that you were the only
person I wanted to be with but I had to wait until you were old enough. I didn’t want to leave you in New York, I
wanted to keep you with me but James wouldn’t let me. George had to drag me out of New York so that
you could experience life on your own.
They were right of course and I waited patiently until you arrived here,
believe me when I say that you surprised me, you’re even stronger than I
remembered.” He smiled.
“Do you want it back?” I asked curiously.
“Keep it, I know how attached to it you are. I’ve watched you play with it since you got
here, it seems to help you somehow.” He said softly as he placed a hand on my
cheek.
“I always wanted to be with only one person and
you are that person, it’s just hard to believe that you were there with me during
that horrible time but I’m glad I had your strength, thank you.” I said quietly
as he took my hand and led me to the kitchen where everyone else waited our arrival.
We walked into the kitchen hand in hand. James, Max, Katie and Lizzy were sitting at
the table talking. Lizzy looked at us
and smiled widely. “It’s about time you got up” she teased.
I blushed as usual. “Hey”
“How are you feeling?” asked Max.
“Still pretty exhausted, to be honest I didn’t
even wake up soaked with sweat and screaming like I normally do in the middle
of the night.” I replied. It was nice to
not have to hide things anymore.
“What do you mean?” Max asked concerned.
“Every night since she got here she would wake
around three thirty in the morning, sometimes gasping, sometimes
screaming. I got used to it. When I asked her about it, she wouldn’t say
anything.” James said looking at me.
“Most of the time in the beginning I didn’t
remember what woke me. Recently though,
I’ve started to remember bits and pieces of dreams. Mostly I’m standing in a field of some sort
I’ve never been to. There are two lines
of people, on one side I think it’s the ones I love, my friends and the people
I consider my family on the other side is my father and his goon’s. I believe it’s my birthday a few minutes
before the claiming rite. Two people are
making a claim at the same time I’m scared because I have no control over the
outcome. I always wake up before the
outcome is determined, I’m too afraid to see the outcome.” I was almost shaking
with fear. Alex put his arm around my
shoulder protectively and squeezed me gently.
“It is quite possible that you are seeing a
piece of your future” Katie said “Your abilities are not fully developed yet
and we do not know exactly how powerful you will be.”
“Have you tried to use your second sight kid?”
asked James.
“No, I never thought to try” I looked out the
window at the trees along the far end of the yard. I tried to look closer and beyond to find
something. Nothing. I couldn’t see
anything beyond normal.
“It’s not working” I said with fear in my
voice. “What’s happening, why can’t I see beyond normal, what’s wrong with me?”
I was shaking, my voice trembling.
“Calm down, Anna it’s going to be ok” Max said
gently. “I was afraid this might happen.” he shook his head slowly from side to
side.
We all turned and looked at Max.
“What do you mean?” Asked Lizzy her voice full
of concern
“When Alex was hurt Anna was enraged. She used everything she had to protect him
and protect herself. She actually saved
Alex’s life with her abilities and she didn’t even know it and before I could
stop her she gashed her wrist open and fed Alex her blood.” he looked at me
with eyes full of ancient knowledge “your ‘life force’ or energy whatever you
want to call it, you stopped the bleeding with it I’m not sure how but you
did. Just like how you stopped those
men, you wrapped your energy around them and threw one into the tree. It’s not the same thing you did when you
blinded them or tried to get them to drop their weapons, you hypnotised them and
also wiped their memories. That was something completely different. I’ve never seen someone with more than one
ability like you, so I need to do more research.” Max looked at me
thoughtfully.
“But why can’t she use her abilities now?”
asked Alex.
“If I’m right she exhausted all of her reserves
during the fight and then replenishing you, she’s going to have to rebuild her
energy and her reserves and that could take awhile. Once you turn eighteen your abilities will be
limitless if the stories are correct, I’ve only heard of two others with
similar potential but their abilities were very different and they each only
had one ability not multiple abilities.” Max explained.
“Anna I spoke with James we both think that you
should stay here for the time being, with you not being able to protect
yourself and your father still in the area we want to make sure your safe.”
Katie said as she looked from James to me with a mother’s concern.
“I thought you led him away” I said confused a
hint of fear in my voice and eyes.
“He has a picture of you.” I looked at her with
a confused expression. “I was in his room. I saw a recent picture, only a week and a half
old. He knows you’re here and I don’t
think he’s going to leave. He’s staying
at Deer Hurst lodge. He’s sent some of
his men to follow up the leads we planted in other towns but that picture of
you at the store here in town is pretty incriminating. He still has to figure out which high school
you’re at but that won’t take him long.
I’m afraid that we’re going to have a fight on our hands sooner than
later and you still have two months of school left.” Katie said.
“I don’t want to fight, I don’t want anyone
else to get hurt because of me.” I looked down angrily. “It’s just not right, why
can’t I just be normal?” I resisted the urge to stomp my foot like a four year
old.
“We’ll protect you Anna. We can keep you safe.”
Alex assured me. I looked at him and
shook my head at him.
“You’ve already been shot because of me I can’t
risk that, not again, Paul died because of me. I can’t lose any more people, I
just can’t.” he put his fingers to my lips.
“I’m stronger than you think and I heal faster
than you do. I can take care of myself, we didn’t know they were there, they
were down wind or I would have known. We
didn’t realize they had gotten that close.
Now that we know exactly where they are we can get them to a place of
our choosing.” Alex grinned. Will,
George, Stephan and Cassy entered the kitchen.
They had heard what Alex was saying.
“Hey we could find the perfect place to meet
her psycho father, that way no one else would have to get hurt.” suggested
Will.
“There are a lot of open areas that are well
protected in this region. We wouldn’t
have to go that far.” said Stephan quietly.
“We’d have to take her to school early and
bring her back here late so that they don’t see her, she’d have to stay indoors
too.” said George
“Wait just a second. Don’t talk about me as if I’m not here I can
take care of myself thank you very much. I’ve been hiding for years I know how to drop
off the grid.” I said.
“That’s not the problem, Anna.” said Cassy “We know
you can hide but you cannot hide anymore.
You must face him a decision has to be made.”
“I know you’re right.” I said looking down and
sighing, I turned to James.
“James, do you mind me staying here?” I asked.
“No kid, I think it’s the safest place for
you. I’ve known this family for almost
thirty years Anna, if anyone can keep you safe its them.” he said
thoughtfully. I nodded and looked at
Lizzy
“Do you mind coming with me to get my
stuff? I’m going to need more than one
change of clothes and I’m going to need a few other things too.” My mind was
racing, I would get to see Alex and Lizzy every day but what about James, my
thoughts kept swirling round and round as I moved slowly towards the front
door.
“Sure let me get my bag. Stephan I think you should come too, we’ll
take the truck.” Lizzy said. She was out
of the kitchen and back in less than a minute.
She had grabbed her hand bag and she had a set of car keys in her hand,
Stephan grabbed the keys and disappeared.
We walked to the front door and Stephan pulled the truck up just as we
reached the steps. We got into the truck
and headed to James’ place. It was mid
afternoon we knew that my father had no idea where I was living. It was a fluke that the men had found me in
the woods. George, Katie and Cassy left
before us because they were faster on their feet, they would scout out the area
to make sure it was safe. We took the
long way to James place, it almost took twenty minutes. I knew they were just being thorough. Once we arrived at our destination I moved
quickly to gather my things. I had done
this hundreds of times. I knew how to
pack things and store things in a manner that no one would know that I had been
there. I had everything packed that I
needed by the door in less than fifteen minutes. Lizzy and Alex watched me move methodically
in wonder. They had no idea how
efficiently I could move or how well I could hide things. I retrieved several well hidden packages from
around the house. Lizzy and Alex looked
at each other and then to me. I smiled at
them “My mother trained me well” I said answering their unasked question. I placed the packages into one of the bags
and I was done. We grabbed all six bags
by the door and headed back to the truck.
We got back to the Worthington’s home about fifteen minutes later.
I knew that I had been awake for only four
hours but I was exhausted.
“I think I need to lie down for a bit. I’m sorry but I’m so tired. I have so many questions but I don’t know if
I can stay awake long enough to ask them” I yawned as Alex and Lizzy smiled.
“Don’t worry we’ll answer all your questions
later we have time.” they said in unison.
Alex led me to his room so that I could lie down.
“Will I be staying in your room or do I get my
own room?” I asked looking up into Alex’s amazing green eyes. He just smiled at me.
“Don’t worry about that now, just get some
rest. We’ll discuss living arrangements later.”
He leaned down and kissed my cheek. “Sweet dreams Anna, I won’t be far I
promise.” Alex whispered in my ear. His
breath was warm on my cheek. His smell
surrounded me, the scent of jasmine and vanilla, I didn’t want him to go. He chuckled quietly, he seemed to know what I
was thinking. He took my hand a led me
to the bed. I sat down and kicked off my
shoes. I lay down and Alex pulled the
covers over me.
“I’ll stay until you fall asleep” he said
quietly smiling down at me I nodded and closed my eyes.
No comments:
Post a Comment