Chapter 31: Enrique Reyes
In the morning things got a bit more
interesting. Max knocked on the door
before he entered Alex’s room.
“Anna we need to talk.” Max said quietly
motioning me to follow him down the hallway. I nodded and followed him, Alex was right
behind us. When we entered the kitchen,
everyone else was there waiting for us. Max
motioned us to sit down.
“Anna, you need to know that there is a
problem,” Max said quietly.
I watched him and the others intently as he started to explain.
“This is going to be a harder fight than any of
us had suspected as your father has some unexpected connections that we did not
know about. Apparently, your father has
connections with an old Vampire clan.
They’re sending a few reinforcements to help him, which will complicate
things. Our sources told us they are
mainly coming to witness, but if he needs help they will not hesitate to intervene,”
Max stated.
“What do we do?” I whispered feeling dread
settle into my belly.
“We will set a time to meet with your father
and we will try to stop this,” Katie stated simply. I looked at all of them seriously.
“He won’t stop.
He made that clear with my mother’s death. The only thing to do is face him on my
birthday. We can only try to keep him at
bay until then. Have you found a place
that we can meet him where no one else might be hurt?” I asked. I was coming up with a plan. I could see it forming in my head. Alex put a hand on my shoulder looking at me
questioningly.
“Yes, we have. Why Anna? What are you thinking?” George asked. He always seemed to know when I was hatching
a plan; it was rather strange.
“I’m going to call him,” I stated, knowing it
was the right thing to do.
“Are you out of your mind?” Alex spun me to
face him, his eyes frantic.
“No, I’m not out of my mind. If wants me then he’ll have me but on my
terms, and my terms only,” I said smiling reassuringly at him.
“You can’t mean that!” Alex and Lizzy exclaimed,
confusion in their eyes.
“Yes, I can. I will tell him where and when we will meet so
that everyone at school or elsewhere will be safe. That way he can make all the plans he wants
while we’re listening. All I have to do
is tell him when and where,” I looked at everyone confidently. “Don’t worry, we’ll be ready, my birthday is
only two and a half months away. It’s
June now, I think he can wait a bit longer,” I stated, trying to hide my fear,
but also, strangely certain this would work.
“She’s crazy” Cassy said quietly.
I smiled at her, “Not crazy Cassy, realistic. He’ll find me one way or another, but if I
give him a specific time and place he’ll wait, he’ll plan, and he’ll get
cocky.” I was sure of this. I didn’t
know why, but I was.
“Wow! She’s amazingly clever, she’s figured
more out in a few minutes than we did in months,” Stephan said admiringly.
“Well, I’ve been running most of my life, so I
kinda know how he thinks,” I replied grinning.
“When do you want to make the call?” asked
Katie.
“Do you have an untraceable phone?” I looked at
Max.
“Yes,” He pulled a phone from his pocket and
tossed it to me.
“Well then, let’s get this over with,” I said
confidently.
“Anna, you don’t have to do this right now,”
Alex said, concerned.
“There’s no point in procrastinating Alex. This is the only way I can protect everyone.”
I looked at him squarely. He had not
seen this side of me before and I could see the turmoil in his eyes.
“Anna, please be reasonable,” Alex’s eyes were
pleading.
“No, this is the way it’s going to be. It’s got to by my way Alex. I want to face this head on and give us some
time to prepare.”
“You won’t be able to stop her Alex, her mind
is made up. She’s right though, things
will work out. I’m not exactly sure how,
but they will,” Cassy said confidently, she had a sense that what I was doing
was right.
I looked into Alex’s eyes asking him to trust me, and he finally gave in.
George handed me a piece of paper with the
phone number I needed. I dialled the
number quickly not wanting to prolong this any longer than necessary.
“Hello?” a deep voice with a Spanish accent
answered.
“Hello Enrique, this is Anastasia.”
“How did you get my number?” he asked,
surprised.
“I have my ways, now listen up. You want me. Correct?” I stated confidently.
“Yes, I want you to come home. I want you to be with your family,” he cajoled
trying to make me believe that was all he wanted. He was extremely manipulative and shrewd .
“Let me make one thing perfectly clear. YOU killed the only family I had. I have no family. I have no home. YOU took
that away from me. You have nothing that I want,” I said flatly.
“Then why the phone call, my daughter?” he asked
sarcastically, any hint of niceness gone.
“Because I don’t want anyone to get hurt. I will meet you, but only on my terms. You will do what I say or I will disappear
and you will never find me; not even with your vampire friends,” I stated
matter of factly.
“You’re very well informed for a seventeen year old girl,” he seethed,
his anger palpable through the phone.
“You have no idea. We will meet on August eighteenth at a place
of my choosing. I know I don’t care who
you bring with you, I don’t care how many weapons you bring, but if you go near
the town or the school again you will never find me. Am I Clear?”
“Quite. Where is this place you want to meet?”
“It’s a clearing about the size of the sky
dome. I’ll text you the coordinates
exactly one month from now.”
“Why not give me the coordinates now?” he asked
curiously.
“You need to earn that trust. One wrong move and I’ll know about it. By the way, I can tell you’re trying to trace
this call. Bad boy, now you won’t get
the coordinates until August. Cross me
again and you’ll be sorry.” I laughed without humour.
“I will have you Anastasia, you belong to ME!”
he yelled , trying to claim me. I
laughed into the phone.
“I belong to NO ONE! You’ll find that out soon enough though. By the way, the only time a claiming can
happen is on the eighteenth of August.
If you knew anything about the legend at all you would have known
that. But I guess you don’t know your
history that well after all. Bye,
Enrique,” I said sweetly, snapping the phone shut.
Only then did I take a deep breath and slide to the floor shaking. Lizzy and Alex were immediately at my side
comforting me with their presence.
“You’ve got guts. I’ll give you that,” Alex said shaking his
head admiringly.
“She’s as stubborn as hell. She’s worse than us at Christmas,” Lizzy laughed.
My brain was still going like a roller coaster so I got to my feet slowly
and walked out to the deck. Suddenly it
dawned on me: I needed to see that prediction, I needed a copy to study. The answer to my problem could be in the
prediction itself.
“Max,” I spun around running back into the
kitchen.
He looked at me bewildered.
“Is it possible to get a copy of the
prediction?” I asked, breathless.
“Your father might have a copy with him. Why do
you ask?” He took in my eagerness.
“I need to see it in its original form so that
we can translate it literally and figuratively.
I’m not sure, but I think the answer is in the prediction itself,” I was
so excited that I was almost bouncing.
“Well, we could see what we can find. The original version as far as I know, is
still in Spain. George, do you want to
take a little vacation?” Max grinned.
George grinned back.
“Hmm, that is indeed an interesting
thought. Cassy and I haven’t been there
in a while. This could be a graduation
present perhaps.” George enjoyed a
challenge that was obvious.
Cassy and George walked out of the room to
start planning their trip. Stephan
watched me for a moment, his expression unreadable.
“I’ll go to your father’s room at the hotel and
see what I can find. Anna, I hope you’re
right about this,” Stephan was hopeful but still cautious.
“Thank you, Stephan.” I looked at him warmly.
“Well, all we can do is get back to normal for
the next little bit,” Lizzy said as she walked to the window.
“You cause an awful lot of excitement Anna, I’m
not sure I’ll make it to our birthday let alone yours.” She shook her head as
she gazed across the back yard.
“You didn’t tell me your birthday was coming up,”
I looked at her and then to Alex.
“It’s the day of the pool party silly. That’s how we celebrate.” Lizzy grinned.
“Well now I need to go shopping again.” I mockingly
complained.
“Oh no, you don’t!” they all said in unison.
“What do you mean? I have to get you both a birthday present.” I
looked at them in astonishment.
“No. You’re not going anywhere. You’ll just
have to make do with whatever is here,” Alex said sternly, his arms crossed
over his chest as he glared down at me.
“Oh really? And you’re going to stop me?” I stated
defiantly crossing my arms across my chest and glaring back at him.
“Yes I will.
You’ve done enough for one day to almost drive me over the edge,” he
growled, something I had never heard before.
It made my heart race; I wasn’t scared, but I couldn’t explain the
reaction I was having to his commanding tone.
But I was still angry at being told what I could and could not do.
“OOoo! Scary Alex, you can growl,” I snipped
sarcastically, rolling my eyes at him. I
turned and walked out onto the deck.
I heard the growling sound intensify, Alex was
clearly annoyed. I half smiled to myself
with the revelation that I could provoke him.
Whatever, I thought. I do what I want. I shook my head and headed down
the stairs to the lawn. Just as I stepped
onto the grass I found myself in the air with Alex wrapped around me. He had come out of nowhere. We tumbled to the ground as he crushed me to
his chest for a few seconds before pinning me to the ground beneath him. My eyes were wide with wonder and
astonishment, but there was no fear.
“You were saying?” he growled menacingly into
my ear. He almost did scare me when he
sounded like that. But, although his
face was stern with anger, his eyes were full of love. I knew he wasn’t going to hurt me, ever.
“You still aren’t that scary. You put on a good show but your eyes gave you
away,” I smirked.
He leaned forward until he was just an inch from my face, his eyes taking
on a cruel edge and he smirked knowingly.
Then he was tickling my side and I burst into laughter as I squirmed
trying to get away from him.
“Please stop!
I give in,” I begged giggling.
“NO.”
“Please, please I’ll do whatever you want, just
stop. Please.” I was almost breathless
with laughter, tears trickling from my eyes.
He looked at me and could not hide his feeling for me.
“No presents and no shopping until after this
mess is over with in August,” Alex demanded seriously.
“No fair,” I complained. With that he flipped me onto my stomach in such
a swift movement I was helpless to defend myself as he got my shoes and socks
off and began tickling my feet. That
sent me over the edge. I could hardly
contain myself.
“OKAY, I PROMISE! NOW STOP IT OR I”LL THROW YOU OFF!” I yelled
squirming.
Alex flipped me back over and sat on my hips, grabbing my wrists and
pinning them over my head. He leaned in
and brushed his cheek against mine as he whispered, smiling seductively, “I
win.” His lips lightly traced under my
jaw and down my neck where he kissed the base of my throat and then placed his ear
to my chest so that he could listen to my pounding heart. He chuckled quietly.
“What’s so funny?” I asked breathlessly.
“It was so easy to get you to cave,” he
purred. “I guess I now have a weapon
against you and now I can get you to do whatever I want, within reason of
course,” he grinned.
“Hey now! Tickling is unfair. That’s clearly taking advantage,” I pouted.
“Anna, I’ll do whatever it takes to make sure
you stay right here.” He looked into my eyes and smiled softly, then brushed
his lips to mine.
I was amazed that he had successfully distracted me out of my bad mood. Of course I found his kisses intoxicating, my
heart was pounding and I had butterflies in my stomach.
“I hope you really mean that,” I said in an
almost inaudible whisper.
Max and Katie had been watching us play fight from the patio and wisely
broke out intensifying romantic spell, bringing us back to reality.
“Anna, I thought you could fight? Are you going to just let him win?” Katie
chided.
I looked over Alex’s shoulder at her and winked. She had distracted Alex perfectly allowing me
to hook my foot around his ankle, then I bent my other knee and pushed as I
jerked my arms to the side. I had
unbalanced Alex enough to roll him onto his back where I then pinned him to the
ground. He looked at me startled and I
giggled. I heard Lizzy and Will snickering
from the kitchen.
“Do you want to play now?” I asked in a teasing
tone.
He tried to dislodge me so I shifted my weight slightly pinning him more
tightly to the ground. I couldn’t win a
strength contest, they ALL had me beat there but I could use what I knew to my
advantage. He got an evil glint in his
eyes as the corner of his mouth twitched upward and I knew I was in
trouble. In one fluid movement he was on
his feet and I was over his shoulder as he trotted towards the trees at the
back of the yard. Will was bellowing
with laughter as I realized that we were headed for the pool.
“Don’t you dare!” I said worried.
“Don’t do what?” he asked mischievously.
I locked my arms around his waist; I wasn’t going in unless he was. He rounded the corner and in two strides we were
in the air and over the deep end of the massive pool. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath just
in time as we plunged into the sparkly blue cold water.
Lizzy, Will and the others came around the corner as we surfaced.
“I will get you back for this. You just wait. I’ll bide my time,” I seethed at him. He looked at me crinkling those beautiful
emerald eyes and laughed heartily.
Everyone else was laughing too, and I had to join in; I could help
it. It really was funny. The next thing I saw was Will tossing in
Lizzy, who landed within inches of Alex. Then Will jumped in before he got
thrown in. Max got tossed in by Katie,
and as she reached to help him out he pulled her in. That was when the water fight started and
lasted for a good hour. Everyone was
soaked and laughing. We all needed a release
from the stress of what had already happened today and what we all know was coming.
No comments:
Post a Comment