Friday, 15 December 2017

Chapter 44


Chapter 44: Confrontation
 
The sensitivity in my eyes was disappearing quickly.  I opened my eyes again and looked up to the sky, it was a brilliant rainbow of pinks, purples oranges and yellows.  Everything was beginning to clear.
“Anna,” I turned to the familiar voice and saw the most beautiful boy I had ever seen.  His eyes were more brilliant than the finest emeralds.  He smiled at me softly.
“Alex?” I whispered questioningly looking at him in wonder. The feelings I had for him were beyond words, my whole being seemed to light up in his presence.  His face lit up as he nodded, caressing my face lovingly with his strong hand.
“Enough!” bellowed the Spanish accented voice.
My head snapped around to take in the man I had dreaded seeing since the day I first laid eyes on him when I was ten years old.  There stood my father, Enrique Reyes, with nine of his henchmen flanking him.                                                                                               
I stood up instantly, moving faster than humanly possible to the centre of the field, between the two groups.  I saw the stunned reactions of my father and his men to my new ability.  “So, have you come to your senses yet, daughter?” Enrique demanded harshly.
I cocked my head from side to side looking curiously at the man I knew to be my biological father.  I felt absolutely nothing for him.  I turned and looked at the group of people behind me, seeing the concern and fear on their faces, but I also felt the overwhelming love they all had for me.  I looked at my hands again, and then at the beautiful boy I remembered calling Alex.  I took a step towards him and stopped turning back to the tanned man in black.
“I will not go with you,” I stated quietly, but firmly.   I knew where I belonged and I knew that I would be staying with Alex.  I didn’t understand how I knew, I just did.
“Then you leave me no choice,” Enrique replied with an evil smirk.
“I, Enrique Reyes, your father by blood, claim you as my own.  My claim is binding.  No other has the hold over you that I have.  You will come with me, you will take your place at your grandmother’s side and you will obey her every word.”  The command in his voice was over powering.  I could feel my body start moving, like a marionette, my movements were jerky, I could feel my mind unravelling, and I could see strings searching for an anchor to hold me in place.  The strings were headed towards the man I most hated and feared in the wold.  I couldn’t stop moving towards him.  What do I do?  My mind was reeling.
“I, Katherine Worthington, claim you, Anna, as my own.  I claim you as blood kin on your mother’s side.  You shall be free to choose your own destiny, as you are my niece: and I claim you.” Katie’s voice rang out, strong and commanding.  I felt my mind split, the strings that were trying to anchor me were pulling in two different directions.  I couldn’t seem to decide which way to go, but my father’s claim was pulling me closer to him.  I managed to stop and I turned to look at Katie.  She was glorious with the morning sunlight streaming around her like a golden halo.
“Come to me now, Anastasia,” Enrique demanded and I could feel the jerky movements of my feet begin moving me closer to him.  Once again, I felt like a marionette.
“I claim you, Anna.  I claim you as my own and I free you.  I claim you with all that I am and all that I have; I claim you with my love, and I set you free.” Alex’s voice was strong and sure as he called to me.  I stopped.  I know I wanted to be with him and no one else.  I felt the strings of my mind anchor to him and Katie, their hold strengthening.  Lizzy spoke nest, her sweet voice strong and sure, and full of love.   
“I claim you, Anna.  I claim you as a sister, I claim you with friendship, and I set you free.”  Each member of Alex’s family followed suit making their claims and as each one did, my mind anchored more strongly to them.  Each strand bound me to them in a way that no one could have predicted.  As Stephan began to making his claim, Enrique became enraged.
“Anna, you will come to me now.  Enough of this nonsense.” Anger fuelled his voice as he moved his hand in a strange motion over his head.

In the next instant two vampires were viciously attacking Stephan and ripping him to pieces.  The sound was like steel claws running down a chalk board and his scream was cut short as he burst into flames and the two vampires darted back to my father’s side.  I looked at the flames in horror as I saw one of my protectors disintegrating into ashes.  Everyone stood there stunned with expressions of horror and disbelief as the thick wall of blue-black smoke rose with a sickenly bitter sent reminiscent of burnt hair and rubber.  I felt the shock ripple through my entire family on the other side of the field.  How could he do this?  How could he kill with no care at all?  My rage began to bubble to the surface.  I latched onto the strings that held me to Alex and the others as they provided me with extra strength, and turned slowly to face my father.  I planted my feet as I gazed at the line of creatures I faced.  I didn’t see men anymore, I saw only vile and repugnant creatures that needed to be destroyed.  The strings that had been heading towards my biological father immediately snapped back towards me as James, his voice strong, made his claim.  I realized I was fully anchored to a new family and Enrique Reyes had no hold over me.  I turned the full force of my anger on that poor excuse of a man and his sycophants.  My rage went beyond what words could describe as I unleashed my mental abilities onto the two vampires who had killed Stephan standing by my father’s side.  I bound them with their own energy and dragged them forward, struggling futilely and hissing in anger.  I leapt forward and sank my teeth into the first vampire’s throat ripping out his oesophagus and spitting it out.  I hated the metallic taste of blood that filled my mouth, and I spit on the creature as he crumpled to the ground sputtering, trying to rid myself of his unpleasant taste. 
‘George, Alex destroy them,’ I hissed angrily in my mind.  More vampires appeared out of nowhere and started to attack my family, the ones I loved and chose to be with.  Anger and a protective instinct took over and I quickly moved towards the next creature bent on attacking my loved ones.  I heard popping sounds as guns were fired.
George flew forward and ripped the second vampire to shreds in seconds, while Alex growled fiercely and lunged at anther vampire.  It was both beautiful and terrifying to watch, the graceful movements of both George and Alex as they worked with meticulous speed dispatching our enemies.  Max, Katie, and Cassy battled ruthlessly with other vampires while Lizzy protected James and Isolde.  Her movements were so fast that she was nothing but a blur of movement stopping the bullets from reaching their targets.
‘Will use your abilities to burn them’ me anger towards these thugs was beyond description.  I wanted them all dead. 
Will stepped forward sparks flashing between his fingers as he gathered a ball of electricity within his hands.  Once George and Alex were finished Will threw the charged ball of electricity at the pile of vampire remains.  It burst into flames instantly, adding another pillar of smoke to the otherwise clear morning sky.  Will turned and unleashed a spray of electricity towards Cassy and Katie.  They gracefully jumped out of the way as the vampires in front of them were enveloped in electrical flames.  Max moved with a ruthless efficiency as he ripped apart the two vampires that were circling him.  He was a master and he was an unstoppable force who destroyed the vampires in a matter of seconds.  Nothing but ashes floating in the air remained of the vampires that had attacked my family.
I turned my attention to the other creatures standing in flanking positions behind my father and concentrated on them.  Three men instantly fell screaming as blood burst from their noses and eyes.  Max placed a hand on my shoulder and thought, ‘enough Anna, you are better than this.  Do not let him turn you into a murderer like he is.  Calm yourself, you can rise above this atrocity.  We will grieve later.  Focus.’ Max’s words began to sink in and I released the remaining hateful men standing at my father’s side.  I made an effort to slow my breathing, relaxing one muscle at a time.  I only focused on what I would say to my father.  I closed my eyes and slowly opened them, staring at him with a fierceness that I had never known before.  I knew without a doubt that I was bound to Alex and his family forever and nothing could break that tie.  I suddenly felt at peace for the first time that I could remember which gave me even more strength.  I squared my shoulders and faced Enrique Reyes.
“I will never join you, Enrique Reyes.  You may be my biological father, but you are nothing more.  I choose to stay here. Alex is my family.  Katie is my aunt.  These people are my family.” I turned slightly to face my real family and swept my hand across them in a joining gesture before I turned back to Enrique.
“You could never give me what they can.  You will never understand the bonds we have.  You do not understand love.  You are lifeless, nothing but an empty shell.  You only know death and pain and now I am completely free of you.” My voice was strong and steady as I glared at him.  I could see the panic in his eyes.
“You are mine,” he spit angrily. He raised his hand signalling his men and they raised their weapons pointing them at my family.
“NO.  I am free, my mother left me all the clues.  She knew I could be free, and she was right, I choose my own path, no one chooses it for me.” I smiled knowingly at him.
“This is far from over child.  You may have won this battle, but the war is far from over.” His voice was laced with anger and malice.  One of the guns went off.  The bullet hit the swirling energy field in front of my godfather.  James’ eyes widened in shock as he looked at me.
“You can’t own me.  Stop this and go home.” My voice was calm, even, and deadly.
“You don’t understand child.  Your grandmother will stop at nothing.  You will join your rightful family and be by her side, or she will destroy you and all you cherish.” Enrique grinned wickedly at the thought.
“We will be ready and waiting for you when that time comes, Enrique Reyes.  Now I suggest you leave our territory before we leave you with no one to escort you home,” Alex said smoothly as he wrapped his arm around my waist.
“I don’t understand, she said there was no possible way for you to say no to the call of the claim.” Enrique said more to himself than to any of us. 
“I think of you as a sperm donor and nothing more Enrique.  Just because there is a biological tie does not mean that there is nothing stronger than that.  Love will always be stronger and that is obviously something that you and your grandmother don’t understand.  The ties to this family that I have chosen are ties that bind more completely than anything you could ever imagine.” I spoke quietly hoping he would understand, but I knew that he wouldn’t.
He just shook his head in disbelief and frustration.
“We will be back, Anastasia, and next time we will take you by force.  Your place is in Spain,” he stated with a surety that I didn’t understand.  I watched as he turned and walked back into the forest with his men following, carrying their injured.  Once they were out of sight I fell to my knees.  I wanted to scream with relief and pain at the same time.  My emotions were all mixed up, I was overjoyed at being free from my father but I was also profoundly heartbroken that Stephan was gone.
Alex wrapped his arms around me.
“It’s over, Anna.” he whispered sadly.  I just nodded unable to look away from Stephan’s still burning ashes.
“Let’s grieve now, for our lost son, so that we can be happy that his sacrifice brought our niece back to us,” Katie said quietly as she embraced George.  I wanted to cry but I couldn’t, I was too shell shocked to understand what had happened to him.  Alex held me for what seemed like hours while I sorted through what had just happened.  Finally I looked into his glorious eyes.
“Are you ready to go home?” he asked quietly.
“Yes, I think so.” My voice sounded strange.  Kind of sweet, like the time in the clearing when I hypnotized my father’s goons, only now it seemed that it was part of me and I didn’t feel so disjointed anymore.  We stood slowly and faced the rest of my family: Max and Katie, Cassy and George, Will and Lizzy, and finally James and Isolde.  They smiled warmly at me but there was sadness in their eyes.  I was afraid they would be angry with me for what happened to Stephan.
“We’re not angry with you, Anna.  What happened to Stephan was not your fault.  Your father is a devious man.  We knew it was possible that we may have some losses and we will grieve for that loss.  Right now we are just happy that you are safe and with your rightful family.” Katie smiled gently.
“I’m sorry, I’m just a bit overwhelmed by everything.  I think it’s going to take a bit for everything to sink in.”  My thoughts were scattered and disjointed.
“Don’t worry, your thoughts will clear soon enough.  Things will be overwhelming for the next few weeks I would imagine,” Max said quietly.  I looked at him confused.
“The claiming has had quite an effect on all of us.  We had no idea that you would bind us together mentally.  It’s rather fascinating actually, and it will take some time to get used to, but I bet it’ll come in handy in the future.” Max smirked wryly.
“I did that?  I bound us together?” I looked at him confused.
“Yes, and no.  If I understand what happened correctly, you need an anchor.  That’s what keeps you with the people you love.  When we claimed you, you mentally attached yourself to everyone in the family, only the attachment was incomplete when Stephan was attacked.  You hadn’t completely made up your mind to fight the other claim on you.  Once Stephan was attacked you decided to fight.  After just waking I was very surprised that you had that much control, I believe being linked to the rest of us is going to make your transition that much easier.  What we’re all going to have to learn is how to deal with your thoughts and everyone else’s until we can control them.”

“I guess I have a lot to learn don’t I?  What am I exactly, because I hated the taste of blood?” I asked curiously wondering if I was a vampire or not.

“Well, I don’ think yer a vampire, what ye are is something completely new,” Isolde said slowly.

“Don’t worry, we’ll take care of you.  That’s what family is for,” Lizzy smiled.

We walked back to the house in silence.  I managed to put up a wall to block my thoughts from the others but if my emotions were too strong they would certainly leak out.

“We’re all going to miss him, Anna.  It’s going to be really hard for George, they’ve been together a long time,” Alex said quietly.  I stopped and turned towards George.  He stopped and looked into my sad eyes.  Suddenly I had George’s massive arms around me in a fierce embrace that would have broken me a few days ago.  I hugged him back just as fiercely.  Strange, if I’m not a vampire how could I handle this crushing embrace?  Not that I really cared about that right now, my focus was George and his sorrow.

“I’m so sorry George,” I whispered.  My thoughts were nothing but confused turmoil.

“Anna, he knew the risks, and he thought of you as his little sister and wanted to protect you.  He was willing to sacrifice himself to protect you.  That’s what family does, they love and protect each other.  You and I already avenged his death.  Thank you for that.”  George squeezed me close once more and then let me go.

“Thank you George,” I smiled sadly.

 

Even though we lost a brother, we gained so much more.  Our family is stronger than ever and our commitment to each other is undeniable.  When we returned to the house I stopped and looked into the glass of the front windows.  I could see my reflection almost as if I was looking into a mirror and my eyes widened with wonder.  I hadn’t changed that much, really.  My eyes were now a swirling, vivid, jade green, my skin was the same pale white it had always been, and my hair fell in soft ringlets down to my mid back.  I looked almost graceful in the stillness of the moment. 

“What do you think?” Lizzy smiled.

“I thought I’d look a lot different, but I’m still me with the exception of my eyes and longer curlier hair,” I replied quietly in wonder.

“You are beautiful,” Alex whispered into my ear as he stood behind me, his arms wrapped around my waist.

“We’ll be’aven ta do some tests Anna.  We need ta figure out what ye be, but tha’ can wait.  I be think’n ye might need to’ave something to eat.” Isolde smiled knowingly at me.

As soon as she said that I could feel my stomach start to growl.  Alex grinned and took my hand as we walked up the stairs and through the back door into the kitchen.  I sat at the table while Alex and Katie prepared lunch for everyone.  After we ate we all sat quietly.  No one wanted to talk about the future or the possible up coming battle.  We just sat quietly talking about Stephan and how wonderful he was.

No comments:

Post a Comment