Monday, 23 January 2017

Chapter 3



Chapter 3: Vivid eyes


The next day was the first day of my new life.  I would be seventeen in only a few weeks, and even though I had my uncertain future ahead of me the one thing I was looking forward to was a routine.  School would be nice, and James seemed like a really great guy.  He was waiting for me in the small kitchen area off the main room.  There was toast and jam on the table waiting for me. I smiled at him in thanks and ate quickly.  We had a lot to do today since I was going to enrol at my new school and go shopping for some clothes and of course school supplies.
I was looking out the windows as we drove into town.  I was surprised at how small this town really was.  I was so used to being in a large city that this rural life was going to take some getting used to.  James turned onto a street named Brunel, as we drove up the road I noticed a modern sign on the left made of wood and painted blue that had an electronic message board with the message ‘welcome back students’ scrolling by.  We had reached Huntsville high school. It was a moderate size but what surprised me was, as we turned onto Camp Kitchen Road, I noticed that the school had almost no lawn.  There was no football field or soccer field just a parking lot that backed onto the arena and rocks and forest. How strange, I thought to myself.  What school doesn’t have a football, soccer or track team?  And if they do, where do they practice?
 We had arrived at the local high school around ten in the morning so the parking lot was full of cars and there were a few students lounging outside in the sun who were most likely ditching class because it was such a beautiful day.  As I got out of the car and looked at the front of my new school, I noticed some beautiful paintings hanging on the side of the school.  I had never seen anything like them.  There were four of them on the wall each depicting a scene of nature ranging from mountains to the Aurora Borealis, it was so unique.  James led me up the steps to the main entrance and opened the door and let me enter then he led me to the office.  The secretary was surprised when we walked in.  It was almost the end of September and the leaves outside were just beginning to turn different colours. 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My godfather was talking to the secretary and giving her all my information when I was startled out of my thoughts as the most good looking boy I had ever seen walked by the office window.  It was the same guy I noticed from the gas station, he was probably seventeen or eighteen years old and about six feet two inches tall with vivid emerald green eyes and blond wavy hair.  He wore a simple cream coloured polo shirt which clung to the contours of his well defined chest and a pair of relaxed fit, light coloured jeans.  He glanced at me for a second as he slowed his pace, and my heart quickened.  I could feel the heat rising in my cheeks, I was beet red in a full blush as he disappeared down the hall.  I never stared at people if I could help it and if I do, I usually made sure they didn’t notice.  I was sure he had noticed though especially since I saw a hint of a smile on his lips as he passed the window.  I turned quickly back to the secretary when she spoke to me.
“Here’s your schedule dear.  Your first day will be Monday I’m assuming?” she asked looking at James and myself for confirmation.
“Sure, Monday” I said quickly not really interested in what she had to say to be honest, my mind was still on the hottie who had just walked by.
“Our school is very different than your last school but I’m sure you’ll fit in soon” she smiled warmly.
“Ya, sure” I said and rolled my eyes.  James knew I wasn’t thrilled that they had no arts school here.
“Well, you can challenge your physical education classes if you want because of your last school but not many people pass.  The coach has a friend who came up with an amazing obstacle course and if you can make it through in a certain amount of time you are exempt from the class” she smiled.  My interest suddenly piqued, I asked “What kind of obstacle course and has anyone passed it?”
“Only four students have ever beaten the coach and his friend.  The Worthington’s and the Foxworth’s I’m sure you’ll meet them soon.  They are hard to miss” she smiled knowingly.
“Tell the coach I’ll do the challenge” thinking I could use a bit of alone time to do homework.
 
Once all the papers were in order, James and I left the office and headed for his car.  James took me to Orillia to go shopping.  I got a bunch of new cloths and a winter coat and boots.  Winter in northern Ontario was definitely cold and there was always snow.  
When we got home from our shopping trip there was a large envelop waiting for James on the front porch.  I looked at him curiously as he glanced at the writing.  He looked at me and turned slowly back towards the car. 
“I’ll be back in about an hour or so, I have to pick something up.  Don’t worry you’re not alone.  Go put your new stuff away and get things ready for Monday.  You’re going to be the new kid and everyone will want to know who you are!” he chuckled when he saw my horrified look.
“Thanks so much.  I’ve only tried to stay incognito for most of my life, you’re making this out to be like a celebrity sighting or something” I said sarcastically.
“Kid you’ve been more places than most of the kids that are in that school.  I’m sure you can come up with a great story to tell.” And he was off, laughing as he got into his car and drove away.
I put my new clothes away and set up my back pack for school.  I went to the kitchen to make something for dinner.  A knock on the door got my defences up and I grabbed a knife off the counter and headed for the door.  I peeked out the window and saw a woman with black hair in a Purolator Courier uniform holding an electronic scanning machine.  I sighed and slipped the knife on top of the fridge and opened the door.
“I have a package for an Anastasia Graham.” She smiled. “Sign here please.”
“That’s me, thanks.” I smiled as I saw the large box of my stuff on the porch.  I dragged the box into the house and quickly unpacked it.  James came in a few minutes later with two bags of Chinese food.  I raised an eyebrow at him.  “Don’t you ever cook?”
“Only on Sundays,” he said in an amused voice. “The rest of the time I survive on sandwiches and take out”
I smirked and shook my head.
“What’s this knife doing here on top of the fridge?” he asked eyeing me with concern.
“Someone came to the door and I guess I was over reacting a bit so I put it there.  Sorry I’ll put it away.” I reached for the knife and quickly placed it in the wooden knife block on the counter.  James watched me with concern still in his eyes but said nothing.  I guess he realized that I was still very much on edge, and I hadn’t told him about the fight in the alley.  My ribs still hurt like hell if I moved the wrong way, and I had taped my left side pretty good to hide the injury but the bruising was still colours of purple and a hint of yellow.
“So, where is this supposed body guard you keep telling me about?” I inquired changing the subject.
“Where you can’t see them” he said seriously.
“Why?” I asked curiously.
“Because that’s part of the deal, you’re protected but you don’t know who they are.  It’s better that way because I want you to have as normal a life as possible.  You’re seventeen years old and I don’t want you to think you’re being crowded” he said seriously.
“What are you talking about?  I’m not seventeen for a couple more weeks!” I looked at him confused.  I had forgotten that I hadn’t told him when my birthday was.
“You turned seventeen in August,” he said almost as confused. “She never told you? Wow! She really did protect you, even from yourself.” he said as he shook his head. “Your birthday is August eighteenth. I was there when you were born.” he looked at me seriously and thoughtfully while he waited for the impact of his words sink in.
I was dumbfounded and I just sat there staring at him.  I finally found my words again after a few minutes. “I’m seventeen.”  “August!” they were statements not questions, I was trying to wrap my head around this. Obviously I would be eighteen a lot sooner than I thought.
“Are you ok?” James asked with concern.
“I think so.  I just need a sec to process this.  I’ll be eighteen in eleven months.” Shock was definitely setting in.
“Here, sit down and have something to eat.” We ate in silence while I mulled over this new piece of information. When dinner was over I got up and started clearing the table.
“Oh, by the way, I’ll leave the keys to my car on the table so you can drive yourself to school on Monday.  I put you on my car insurance, that way you don’t have to take the bus and you’ll have a quick getaway if needed” James said socially.
“Thank you, but what about you? How will you get around?” I didn’t want to be a bother but it was really nice of him to let me use his car.
“Don’t worry about me, my new truck will be ready in the morning.” he smiled wagging his eyebrows up and down. He looked very excited and pleased with himself about his new toy.
 
The rest of the weekend went by quickly as I wandered around James’ place and went grocery shopping in town.  On Sunday James gave me his gas card and told me to fill up the car. When I was at the gas station I saw the boy with the vivid green eyes again and he was surrounded by a bunch of giggling, flirting airhead girls all vying for his attention.  He seemed vaguely amused by them and it was at that moment I decided that I didn’t like him because I felt he was leading those girls on. No matter how much they threw themselves at him he didn’t really seem to care.  I hated guys like that and no matter how gorgeous he is I would never say yes to him.  I paid for my gas and as I got into my car I saw him move from the wall and start walking towards me.  I quickly started the car and drove away.  When I looked in the rear view mirror I saw an amused smirk on his face.  Pompous ass, I thought to myself.
I went to my room early that night so that I could get a good night sleep.  I was worried and nervous about my first day at a new school.  I always hated being stared at it made me feel like I had a bull’s eye painted on my back.  I was hoping that I would have a least one class with the green eyed boy I saw yesterday because even if he was a jerk, it would make my day.  Eye candy was always nice and even though I knew I was being silly and that I shouldn’t get my hopes up, I could at least dream.  I wasn’t allowed to get attached to anyone because if I did they could possibly put a claim on me.  I refused to be controlled in any way and I’ve fought to long and hard to stay free of commitments.  But I couldn’t help the fantasy that was spinning through my head, meeting that perfect guy with the amazing vivid emerald green eyes.  Going on a date for the first time and dancing the night away.
“Ug,” I said. “I’m such an idiot.”  I shook my head trying to clear it of daydreams and fantasies.  I crawled into bed and pulled the pillow over my head blocking out the moon light and snuggled deep into the covers.  I finally fell asleep sometime after midnight.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment