Chapter 4: The First Day
My alarm went off at six in the morning. God it
feels like it’s the middle of the night!
This is cruel! I gazed blearily at the ceiling, still half asleep as I
decided whether or not to get out of bed or hit the snooze button. I heard James wandering around the kitchen
already. When did he get up? I thought six was early, man he’s an early
riser. I decided to forgo the snooze and
got up to have a shower. That way, when
I went to the kitchen I would at least feel somewhat alive and hopefully I’d be
able to be cordial. I was definitely NOT
a morning person.
After my shower I dried my hair and pulled it
into a ponytail so that it was out of way, having long hair that brushed just
below my shoulder blades can be a pain in the ass sometimes but I refuse to cut
it off, it was the one thing that was distinctly me. I went back to my room and quickly got
dressed in the jeans and dark blue hoodie that I had bought yesterday. I walked down the hall into the family room
where I suddenly stopped and gawked. The
sunrise was so beautiful this morning. I
stood there for a few moments lost in the breathtaking beauty of the morning’s sky
with its soft pinks, oranges and reds.
James chuckled softly at my reverie.
I looked at him and smiled.
“Morning kid. You sleep ok?”
“Yes” I said quietly.
“It’s beautiful isn’t it?” he asked.
“Yes. I haven’t seen the sunrise
over the water in a long time. The lake
is like a mirror. It’s absolutely breathtaking”
I looked out the window again before going to the cupboard to get a bowl and
find the cereal that I wanted for breakfast.
“I hope you have a good first day.
I know it’ll take a while to get into the swing of things but I’m sure
you’ll fit in, in no time” he grinned.
“Thanks James, I’m sure I’ll be fine.
I’m just a bit nervous is all” I replied.
“I have a cell phone for you. I
would have given it to you last night but I wanted to make sure it was charged
and I wanted to program a few numbers in it for you.” he smiled widely handing
me the phone.
“Thanks. You shouldn’t have” I said sincerely.
“No thanks needed kiddo. I want you to be able to reach me if you need
me and this is the fastest way. My
office is in town but I’m on the road a lot.” he stated.
I glanced at the clock it was almost eight in morning already and I
would have to get going soon. I picked up the cell phone and looked it
over. It was the latest iPhone, it had all
the cool features like internet access, a camera, google maps and iTunes. It
was totally sick! James really rocked. I
smiled to myself. I wasn’t used to being
taken care of like this. It felt really
nice. I was always a bit standoffish
with Stacy even though she tried to get me to open up, I never had. She always thought I had a chip on my shoulder
and to be honest I acted that way a lot.
I guess it was part of my defence mechanism. I didn’t want anyone to get
too close to me. I’m still not sure if I
can get close to anyone, let alone wanting to.
“I’ll call you later then, on my way home from school.”
“Sure kid that would be great. If
you need anything just call.”
“I will, and thanks again for everything.” I said quietly looking down
at my feet. He watched me with assessing eyes for a minute before he nodded as he
left for work. I'm not sure what he saw but I guess it was something that was at least OK. I cleaned up the kitchen
and set out for school.
Huntsville high school was an average size for
a small town. Nothing like the factories
I used to attend in the big cities.
There were only about 1200 students in the whole school which would make
it very difficult to be invisible. As I
turned into the school parking lot, kids were milling about in groups waiting for
the first bell to ring. I parked in the
first parking spot I could find. I took
out my schedule to see what I had for my first class since I hadn’t bothered
looking at it yesterday when I was getting everything ready for my first day. Biology first, and then algebra and geometry,
what a morning! At least the tough courses were early and my easier subjects
were in the afternoon, a spare and then music.
I slowly got out of my car grabbing my gym bag
and slinging it over my shoulder. I
pulled up my hood and slipped on my sunglasses as I looked around and started
walking towards the main school building.
Once inside I went to the office to get my assigned locker number.
“Hello Anastasia, it’s good to see you
again. Here is your locker number, do
you need help finding your first class?” the secretary asked with exuberance.
Her name was Sara Jenning, I only knew that because I looked at her name
tag, and she was just as energetic today as she was last week. God what kind of
happy pills was this chick on.
It would take me forever to remember all the
new names that I knew I would be inundated with today.
“Um. Thanks, no I should be able to find it” I said as I looked at the
piece of paper with my locker number and combination on it.
“Your locker is on the second level near your first class. Good luck, Oh, I spoke to the coach and
you’ll do the exemption test on Friday after school, you can meet him at the
gym.” she smiled warmly at me.
“Thanks, bye” I said leaving quickly so that my nervousness wouldn’t
show too much. I was always looking over
my shoulder. It was something that I had
grown used to over the past few years since I had to constantly watch my back. As I walked upstairs to the second level to
find my locker and first class, I noticed a group of girls leaning by what
should be the gym doors. They watched me
as I went up the stairs, I kept my eyes on the stairs only looking at them from
my peripheral vision. One of the girls
had long dark hair with striking sapphire blue eyes. I had never seen a girl like that before she
was pale and very beautiful. She was
holding pompoms and leaning against the door she was in front of watching me as I
ascended the stairs with curious eyes.
I found my locker easily and dumped most of my
stuff in it. I only took a notebook and
pen to class as I did not have my text book yet. As I walking toward my first class I pushed
back my hood and propped my sunglasses on my head when I saw the boy with the
vivid emerald green eyes leaning against a locker talking with another boy who
had the same striking sapphire blue eyes as the girl downstairs. They both glanced at me as I passed by, and I
looked down at the floor letting strands of my hair that came loose from my ponytail fall forward to hide the
blush I knew was creeping into my cheeks. I took some slow deep breaths trying to calm
my racing heart but I winced because I forgot about my ribs. I tried to hide it
the best I could because I was nearly to my class. I didn’t want anyone to
know I was in pain since I felt that it was not a good way to make a first
impression. When I entered the room only
a few other students were seated. I went
to the front of the class to talk to the teacher. She was young, probably around 30 years old with
flaming red hair.
“Hello, you must be Anastasia, I’m Ms Carla Steven’s” she smiled.
“Hi.” I smiled back “Nice to meet you.”
“Here is your textbook and you can have a seat over here” she pointed to
the desk work table on the right two rows back from the front.
“Thanks” I replied and went to sit down.
A girl with curly reddish brown hair sat next to me in class. Her name was Christine Thomas and she seemed
really nice. We both had the same
morning classes so she questioned me relentlessly in between classes.
“So what do you think of our school?” she asked curiously.
“It seems pretty nice. Kind of
small though. The last school I went to
was a lot bigger than this one.” I replied with a shy smile.
Christine smiled. “Were did you go before you came here?” She was eager
for information and I knew everyone would know everything I told her by lunch hour.
“The Professional Performing Arts school in New York City. I was there for a couple of years” I
said matter of factly. I really didn’t
care if I told the truth about what school I had attended. What difference
would it make?
“Wow. New York! This is really
different then” she said looking at me with wide eyes and almost an awed
expression on her face.
“It’s no big deal really. I lived
with my aunt and she was a teacher there” I lied so well, it was scary. Christine hammered me with questions about New York City for the rest
of the morning. She introduced me to a
group of her friends when we got to the cafeteria. I sat down and listened intently as she
introduced me to the group.
“This is Sally, Carrie, Jeff, Dwayne, Jennifer, Tisha, and Michelle” she
pointed to everyone as she introduced them.
“Everyone this is Anastasia, she came from New York” she was excited
and practically vibrated when she told them all the news she managed to get from me. I just smiled
and let her tell the tale. I tried to pay attention but I was just not that interested in lying to them about myself, it was too much work. My eyes wandered
around the room. I spotted the girl with
the striking sapphire blue eyes sitting with a group of different people, the
two boys I had seen in the hallway this morning and another girl. All of them were very beautiful with pale,
almost luminous skin which made them look so mysterious. They also all had strange bright coloured eyes
that appeared to almost glow. Just then
Sally asked me a question and I turned to look at her.
“Um, sorry could you repeat that? I was distracted” I said
apologetically.
“That’s ok. Christine forgot to
ask you the most important question” Sally giggled.
I looked at her questioningly “She did?”
I looked at her questioningly “She did?”
“Do you have a boyfriend or do you prefer girls?” She asked bluntly
wiggling her eye brows. I noticed that
Jeff was listening more intently than the others. I would have to be careful of him in future,
perhaps a little white lie would be good right about now.
“Oh! Um, I sort of have a boyfriend and I am so not into girls” I
blushed and looked at my hands embarrassed at the direction of the question.
The girls giggled. “Sorry, but we need to get
all the info on you out there so that those who are possibly interest can ask
you out. We don’t want any confusion” said Carrie slyly. Carrie was a pretty, athletic looking girl
with black hair that was pulled up into a ponytail.
“Wow, you guys certainly get to the point
quickly! I just got here. No one could
be thinking like that already and besides Paul and I are still sort of an item.”
I stated. Paul was a real guy who I hung
out with in NYC but we were just friends, he was the leader of the Crazy Arch
Angels street runner’s gang.
Carrie smiled. “After you registered Friday,
the rumour mill started right away.”
“After all, you're staying with James Madley.”
Jennifer almost swooned. Jennifer was a
small girl with mousy dirty blond hair and braces.
“My godfather? What’s that all about?” I asked
almost worried.
“He’s just so cute and he’s in the military,
what isn’t there to like?” Jennifer said.
“He’s nice and all but he’s just looking after
me for awhile.” I said.
“Where are your parents?” asked Dwayne. Dwayne had red hair and freckles and he wore
circular glasses like John Lennon.
“My mother died a few years ago and I don’t
know who my father is.” I didn’t have to
lie about that.
“I’m sorry” he said looking at his hands
embarrassed.
"It’s ok. It’s not your fault.” I said quickly. I was distracted just then by the group I had been watching earlier. The boy with the vivid emerald green eyes walked by, he looked at me curiously and I looked back. This time I didn’t blush, I wasn’t going to show my weakness. He smiled at me and left the room. The bell rang then warning us it was time for the next class. Suddenly my old cell phone buzzed. I looked down at it surprised to see the name on the view screen, it was Paul.
"It’s ok. It’s not your fault.” I said quickly. I was distracted just then by the group I had been watching earlier. The boy with the vivid emerald green eyes walked by, he looked at me curiously and I looked back. This time I didn’t blush, I wasn’t going to show my weakness. He smiled at me and left the room. The bell rang then warning us it was time for the next class. Suddenly my old cell phone buzzed. I looked down at it surprised to see the name on the view screen, it was Paul.
“Hello” I said with a smile.
“Allie, where are you?” He asked in his usual
boyish voice.
“I moved, you know that” I stated flatly.
“Come on Allie, you didn’t tell anyone, you
just disappeared after the run. What’s
going on ?Where are you? When are you coming back?” Paul demanded.
“Paul, I’ve started at a new school and I won’t
be returning to Manhattan any time soon” I replied.
“Allie come on, where are you?” he pleaded.
“Sorry Paul I have to get to class. I’ll call you later.” I hung up the phone
without giving him the chance to ask me where I was again. Sure I missed him, he was a good friend but I
couldn’t risk telling him. If my father
used my friends to get to me they could get killed. I also wasn't sure if any of my old friends were being watched or monitored. I didn't want my phone traced. I know that it takes about a minute or so to track a cell phone call.
“Was that your boyfriend?” Christine asked a
bit confused as we walked out of the cafeteria with Tisha and Michelle.
“Ya, he’s being a bit over possessive. He wants me to go back to Manhattan but I just
got here and I need to give this place a chance.” I replied.
“He sounds like a bit of a jerk if you ask me.”
Tisha stated.
“Well when you miss someone you tend to be a
bit stupid sometimes.” I replied. The
girls nodded in agreement.
“Is there some place I can go where I can be
alone to do my homework?” I asked.
“Well you could go to the library or into the
gym, it’s usually empty this period” Michelle suggested.
“Could you show me where the gym is?” I asked
with a soft smile. I really needed to be
alone so that I could think and doing homework was just an excuse.
Tisha and Michelle walked me to the gym, before
they went to their next class, I wanted to be alone without being interrupted
or stared at. Being the new kid sucked
and I had to remember what truths and what lies I had told. I walked into the gym and headed for the
bleachers. There was a stage at the far
end for assemblies and the gym’s bleachers were to the right of the stage. I found a spot to sit where you could see the
side of the stage but I couldn’t be seen.
It was nice to be hidden away in a corner without anyone being able to
see me unless they came forward to the edge of the stage. I pulled out my books and started to work on
my homework when I suddenly heard heavy breathing. I looked up and glanced around confused. Then I noticed a guy on the stage partially
hidden by the curtains with his pants down around his ankles and his hand on
top of a girl’s head. I couldn’t believe
what I was seeing. Great, if I moved or
made any noise they would know that I had seen them and think I was a pervert
or something. I pulled out my ipod and
put my ear buds in, as I was about to turn it on I heard the girl’s voice and
realized that it was one of the girls that I had met at lunch. I think her name is Sara or Sally something. I couldn’t believe that she would let herself
be used by a guy like that, blow jobs are so gross. I wouldn’t want some guy
spewing stuff all over me or in my mouth, I mean, he gets all the gratification
and what does she get, a sore mouth and sore knees. I could hardly wait till they were
finished. I cranked my music so that I
wouldn’t have to listen to them as they decided to take it to the next level.
I had just finished my last math problem when a hand grabbed my shoulder. I reacted on instinct and I spun grabbing the thumb and twisting it so that the guy flipped onto his back on the bleacher below me and my other hand grabbed his throat, anger raging in my eyes as I glared at the startled jock who had just screwed the girl from my lunch table.
I had just finished my last math problem when a hand grabbed my shoulder. I reacted on instinct and I spun grabbing the thumb and twisting it so that the guy flipped onto his back on the bleacher below me and my other hand grabbed his throat, anger raging in my eyes as I glared at the startled jock who had just screwed the girl from my lunch table.
“I don’t think she likes being touched” said the
amused deep rich voice of the boy with the vivid green eyes. He smiled as he glanced between me and the
jock. I looked at him startled and let
the jock go stepping away quickly as I removed the ear buds from my ears.
“Jesus, are you psycho or what? I just wanted to tell you the bell was about
to ring” the jock said with a shaken voice, his eyes searching mine wondering
if I had seen him with the girl.
“I have a watch. Don’t sneak up on me again, I might not hold
back next time” I snapped as I stuffed my books in my bag and quickly walked
down the bleachers heading for the exit.
When I glanced around for the boy with the vivid green eyes, he was
gone. I sighed to myself in relief that
the spare was over. Note to self, stay
out of the gym during my spare because apparently that’s where kids went to get
it on.
I found the music room on the third floor. It was set up like a pie shape. The room was sound proofed, that was easy to
tell. When I walked to the lower centre
level to speak to the teacher I noticed the boy with the vivid emerald green
eyes sitting at the drums. He watched me
intently as I moved to the front of the class.
I started to feel a bit self conscious because I knew he had witnessed
my rash reaction to the jock and I wasn’t exactly proud of myself for being so defensive.
He had also been at the gas station the
other day and I hadn’t been all that nice that day either.
“You must be Anastasia, I’m Mr. Chang. Do you play an instrument?” the teacher asked
smiling at me.
“Yes, I play the harp” I answered.
Mr. Chang raised an eyebrow at me. “Really,
that’s an unusual instrument to play. Where did you learn to play?”
“I went to the Professional Performing Arts
School and my aunt played for
the NYC symphony orchestra. She taught
me to play. It was my favourite
instrument and I always thought it was elegant.” I spoke softly as most of the
students were already in their seats.
Mr. Chang thought for a moment.
“I don’t have a harp here at the moment but I’ll
see if I can get one here for you to play by the end of the week.”
“Ok” I said as I looked at my feet.
“For now you can have a seat by the piano. Can
you play that as well?” Mr. Chang asked quizzically.
I nodded and moved to the piano, everyone at
the Professional Performing Arts School had to play the piano. It was kind of the basic instrument there,
sort of like how everyone knows how to do basic math functions; we all had to
learn how to play the piano. Mr. Chang nodded with a smile as I walked to the
piano and sat quietly as class began.
Once class was over a beautiful, slender girl
with long blond hair and vivid emerald green eyes approached me. I remembered her from the cafeteria. She looked very similar to the boy sitting
behind the drums and she was carrying a piccolo in her hand. She stopped in front of me and smiled widely.
“Hi. My
name is Elizabeth Foxworth. I thought
you played the piano very well.”
“Thank you.
I’m Anastasia” I said shyly.
“You can call my Lizzy. Everyone else does. That's my brother Alexander, he’s the one on the
drums.” She looked over her shoulder gesturing with her head towards her
brother.
“Are you twins? You look a lot alike” I asked curiously. I looked down at my feet trying to fight off
the blush for being so forward.
“Ya, I know its way to obvious isn’t it? Our cousins always tease us” she laughed. Her laugh was wonderful it had such a sweet
melodic sound to it that I could not help but smile back at her.
“Do you play any other instruments” I asked.
“Oh, I play the flute and the piano too.” she replied
cheerily. “Would you like to go out to a movie with me this weekend? I know you’re new in town and I thought you
might like to see the sights” she asked brightly. “I know it’s not New York,
but I would love to give you the grand tour of Huntsville if you’re up for it!”
“I have to run it by my godfather first but it
sounds good to me.” I replied nodding with a hesitant smile.
“Ok. Let
me know tomorrow.”
“Sure.
I’ll talk to you later and thanks for the invite.” I smiled shyly
at her.
Lizzy walked up the steps to the door where her
brother waited patiently watching every move I made. She turned smiling brightly and waved as she
swung out the door. I stood there
contemplating what had just transpired and I grinned to myself. Mr. Chang looked at me. “Lizzy is a very
smart girl. She would be a good friend
for you.” he said approvingly. “By the
way, great job at the piano today.”
I smiled at him. “Thanks, I’ll see you
tomorrow. I really hope you can get that
harp because I’d love to keep up with that instrument” I said eagerly.
“Considering how well you play the piano I
can’t wait to see what you can do with the harp. I’m sure I can pull a few
strings” he laughed at his own joke. It
was corny but I couldn’t help grinning back at him.
I walked to my car after I had collected all my
books and homework. As I approached the
parking lot I noticed the group of students who I had met at lunch were all
gathered around a group of cars. Christine waved and I smiled in return. Jeff, Joel and Sara or was it Sally were watching me as I
threw my bag into my car.
“Hey, Anastasia” Christine called.
“Yes” I replied.
“What are you doing after school tomorrow?” she
asked inquisitively.
“I don’t have any plans” I looked at her
questioningly.
“Would you like to come to my place and hang
for a bit?” she asked.
“Sure, that sounds great” I said. Jeff and Joel immediately started talking, whispering
frantically between each other at this news.
I looked at them wondering what the heck they were up to. Weird.
“I’ll see you tomorrow, Christine” I smiled and waved at her as I got in
my car to head home. She waved back as I
sped off.
I called James to let him know that I was on my
way home. He told me that he would be
late and to eat whatever I wanted or order out whatever I felt like. When I got home I sat at the kitchen table
and finished all my homework. I got up and walked to the refrigerator to find
something to eat. Perusing my options, I
thought, left over Chinese food it is. I
made myself a plate, threw it in the microwave and then went to see what kind
of movies James had to watch. I wasn’t
really into watching TV much. I loved
movies because I felt they were a great way to relax. My favourites are action/adventure, fantasy,
martial arts, and the occasional girly movie.
James had mostly action movies which was cool. I chose to watch Resident Evil. I hadn’t seen it in a while and if I fell
asleep during it, it wouldn’t matter. I
curled up on the coach with a blanket, a pillow and my plate of Chinese food and
hit play. I relaxed so much that I fell
asleep after eating my dinner. I woke suddenly and jumped off the couch swivelling
into a defensive position when a hand touched my shoulder while scanning the
room for a weapon that I could use on who ever touched me. James jumped back with his hands up in front
of him. He moved very slowly until I
realized who I was looking at. I flushed
beet red when I realized it was him.
“Sorry to startle you, Anastasia.” James said quietly as if trying to reassure a wounded animal.
“It’s ok. I’m sorry I’m so jumpy. I fell asleep watching
a movie. I didn’t hear you come in.” I
apologised, as my heart rate slowed to a more relaxed rhythm.
“I should really go to bed. I have to be up early in the morning” I
started to straighten up, wincing at the pain in my side. Damn, I’m going to
need some Tylenol.
“Anastasia are you sure you’re ok?” James asked
looking at me with concern. I turned and
looked at my godfather.
“James I’m sorry but this is who I am, I’ve
been running for a long time and the only way I’ve survived this long is by
being on guard all the time. Stacy never
understood why my defensiveness got worse over time. But that defensiveness is what saved me from
the two goon’s who tried to force me to go with them to my father a week and a
half ago. That’s how I ended up here. So I’m asking you to be patient and understand
that this is the way I am.” I looked at him begging with my eyes for his
understanding.
“Okay, I’ll try to but you don’t have to be
afraid here. I hope you understand that. I won’t let anything happen to you. So, how was your first day at school?” he
asked trying to change the subject for me.
“You know, it was pretty good actually. I think I made some new friends and one of
the girls in my music class named Lizzy Foxworth asked me to a movie this
weekend and she’s going to show me around.
Is that ok?” I asked.
“Lizzy, eh? She’s a nice kid. I know her uncle and aunt, they’re good
people, so sure go have some fun. You
could use some down time” he smiled but the worry was still in his eyes.
“Thanks James, it’ll give me something to look
forward too.” I said with a bit too much happiness in my voice.
“Oh ya, my music teacher is going to try to get
a harp for me to play. I hope he can, it’s my favourite instrument.” I beamed
genuinely.
“That sounds great kid. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.” James
smiled and winked.
“Night James I’ll see you in the morning.”
“Night kid.” James watched me move down the hall, he was still worried about me. I saw his sad worried expression in the mirror as I passed by it on the way into my room.
I just hoped that
James would give me the time I needed. I
doubt I would relax much, but I will adjust eventually. Well, let’s think about
the good things instead of the psycho things I’ve done today. I met so many new people and they seemed rather
nice to me, so I think I’ll fit in here ok.
I was excited about meeting Lizzy and finding out that the boy
with the vivid emerald green eyes like hers was her twin brother
Alexander. Now I had a name to go with
that beautiful face. I could dream about
those eyes and now I had a name! What am
I thinking...? I can’t get infatuated with him.
I scowled at myself in the mirror.
You know you can’t get involved with anyone. “You have to be strong” I chanted that for a
few minutes. But I knew as soon as I
closed my eyes only one thing would happen.
I would dream of Alexander.
No comments:
Post a Comment