Monday, 6 February 2017

Chapter 5


                                     Chapter 5: Gorgeous but Annoying

 Image result for looking up into maple  tree branches

It was my second day at school and I just wanted to be left alone, however the hard part is that in a school this small it’s hard to disappear into the background and since I’m the new kid everyone wants to talk to me about New York.  I don’t really want my life to be broadcasted so that everyone knows about me, god these people they are so nosey!  I guess that’s what it’s like to live in a small town; this was going to take a bit to get used to.  It’s almost lunch and I really don’t want to go to the cafeteria or the library so where do I go?  Camp out in my car? No, that would be an easy place for people to look.  I turned my head and looked out the window and there they were a grove of seven huge Maple trees, now there’s a place I could go to think!

The bell rang so I gathered my books and headed into the hall with all the other students.  I bee lined for the stairs and went to my locker. I dumped my books and grabbed a notebook and a pen and slipped them into my backpack and headed outside.  I put my ear buds in and cranked the tunes on my iPod as I headed around the school.  I walked under the first maple tree and looked up into the branches - it didn’t have what I was looking for.  The second maple tree was perfect, it had large enough branches that were high enough up to shield my presence if someone were to walk by.  I walked back about thirty paces and ran straight for the tree. I ran up the trunk four paces and grabbing onto the first branch I swung myself up twisting agilely so that I landed on my feet.  I hopped up to the next branch and settled myself into a small and relatively comfortable nook by the trunk of the tree.  I shimmied my back pack off and pulled out my notebook and pen so that I could write.  I also pulled out a map of the area and began to study it.  If I was going to be living here I needed to learn as much as possible about this town’s layout and the surrounding area.  I had to make contingency plans in case my father showed up; I had to have a least five plans, that way if one failed I could switch to another without thinking too much.  I studied the map and circled the major routes into and out of town, then I pulled out my highlighters and started to mark alternative routes in case I was cut off.

I opened up my notebook and started working on plans A, B and C.  While I was staring off into space thinking, I dropped my pen, and it landed on the ground right in front of a teacher.  I swore under my breath as he looked up with a startled expression on his face and spotted me lounging a good fifteen feet above him.

“It’s time the two of you headed for class.” He said.

Two of us? What was he talking about? I turned slightly and looked up into a pair of amused emerald green eyes and cocky smirk.  Alexander Foxworth was sitting above me just to my left.  I hadn’t even noticed him and there he was examining the map on my lap.  I glared at him as I quickly folded the map and stuffed it into my bag with my notebook and highlighters.

“What’s your hurry?” Alexander asked with an amused tone.

“I don’t like being watched by jocks with hero complexes.” I snapped.

“Well you’re in my tree” he replied arching his left eyebrow.

“Your name isn’t on it; first come first serve.  You weren’t here when I came outside” I replied coldly.  It didn’t matter how gorgeous he was, he was really getting on my nerves and it seemed that everywhere I went he always showed up.  He was cocky and excruciatingly annoying.

“Well I enjoyed the view” he smirked and the double meaning in his words was evident.  I rolled my eyes and slipped my backpack on.  I looked at the teacher as I leapt to the ground landing softly on my toes and snatching the pen out of his hand.

“Thanks for my pen” I said and started heading for the school.  The teacher had an astonished and bemused look on his face as he watched me walk away.

“You don’t like me do you?” an amused voice behind me said.  I stopped and spun to face the boy who had spoken to me.  I couldn’t figure out how he could sneak up on me like that; he was so quiet and stealthy like, it was unnerving!

“What do you want?” I asked in an annoyed tone.

“To know what you’re working on.” He replied looking at me curiously.

“That’s none of your damn business, so just leave me alone.” I turned and started back towards the school.

“Why are you so jumpy?” Alexander asked.

“I’m getting tired of nosey people like you” I retorted.

“Do I bug you?” he seemed so pleased with himself as he looked at me.

“As a matter of fact you do, so why don’t you go bug someone else and leave me alone” I glared at him as butterflies danced in my stomach as I looked directly into his amazing emerald green eyes.  I was almost lost for words as I studied his gorgeous face.

“See something you like?” he smiled leaning forward.

“No” I said too quickly turning as I tried to hide my blush and I rushed to music class listening to him chuckling behind me as I ran up the stairs.

Lizzy waved to me as I entered the music room and headed to the piano.  I nodded to her a bit agitated and sat down on the piano bench.  She looked at me slightly confused and then she noticed her brother walking to the drums.  I watched her eyes glaze over and then noticed Alexander turn slightly to look at her.  I would have watched them longer but Mr Chang called the class to order.  It was like they were communicating telepathically, I shook my head.  I must be imagining things.

            After class I quickly gathered my things and headed to my car.  As usual I noticed Alexander leaning on his car watching me as I opened my car door and as usual, there was a group of guys and girls crowded around him and his friend with the sapphire blue eyes.  It was amazing how everyone seemed to gravitate towards them.  I shook my head slowly and got into my car.  I was startled when I heard a tapping on my window and saw Lizzy smiling at me.  I rolled the window down and smiled back at her. “Hi Lizzy”
“Hey, I know you still haven’t decided about the movie but I was wondering if you wanted to get lunch together tomorrow, you know girls only” she asked.
“Are all the groupies coming too?” I asked arching my eyebrow at her.

“Groupies?” she inquired confused.  I looked behind her towards the group surrounding her brother and gestured with my hand towards them.

“Oh I was planning on asking a few people to join us, why?” she replied thoroughly confused.

“Would you mind if it was just you and me, I’m not big on crowds.” I asked softly not sure what her response would be.

“Okay sure, but I figured you would like a group since you’re from New York” she replied with a hint of uncertainty in her voice.

“I may have lived in New York but it doesn’t mean I like crowds or groups of people.  I prefer one on one conversations, less noise and distractions” I replied.

“Sounds good to me” she replied with understanding in her beautiful eyes. “We’ll just get to know each other.  See you tomorrow?”

“I’ll see you tomorrow.”

            When I got back to James’ place I changed my clothes so that I could go for a run.  I went into the bathroom and reinforced the bandage around my ribs so that it was good and tight.  I knew it would be uncomfortable to run, but staying alive was more important than a bit of rib pain.  I took some Ibuprofen and then grabbed my iPod.  I looked at the map I had been studying earlier and then headed out for my run.  I needed to know how long it would take me on foot to get each place on the map.  The only unfortunate part was that the road to James’ place ended about a half mile down from here so I had only one way for a fast getaway.  I would have to figure out some other ways later; one good thing was that there were a lot of snowmobile and ATV trails around here and I could easily run on them as well.  I had seen a trail map on the counter at the gas station when I arrived so I knew I had to get one of those too.  I decided to run to the store by the highway cut off which was a good ten to fifteen minute drive from here.  I grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and headed out.

            Feeling invigorated and alive, albeit a tad sweaty, I arrived at the gas station by the highway and I picked up a snowmobile/ATV trail map and another bottle of water.  As I was paying for my purchases I noticed Alexander Foxworth at the pump filling his car.  I shook my head and rolled my eyes I could swear he’s following me, there’s no other explanation for his constant appearances!  I ducked out of the gas station and cranked the tunes on my iPod so that I couldn’t hear anything other than the music.  When I got to the road I looked both ways to make sure no one was coming and jogged across the street heading for home.

Related image            A black BMW slowed and honked at me while I ran, I ignored it and kept moving.  The driver honked again, I glanced over and my eyes met the amused eyes of Alexander Foxworth. God could he not take a hint? I mean honestly, get over yourself.  I thought. I narrowed my eyes at him and shook my head in exasperation, and turned my attention back to the road.

He lowered the driver side window and called “Anastasia, hold up would you?” 
“Alexander bugger off, I’m busy.” I said continuing my even pace.

“Aw, Anastasia come on! Talk to me!” Alexander pleaded then winked at me.

“No, if you want to talk to me you’re just going to have to wait, I’m running” I replied trying to focus on my breathing and my stride.  But he was distracting me and I was starting to lose my rhythm which made my ribs start to ache more than they already were.

“Are you stalking me?” I asked trying to get him to go away.

“No, I was going to ask you if you were stalking me! Everywhere I go you show up” he retorted.

“God, you are so full of yourself!” I snapped at him. I stopped running and stalked over to his car.  He stopped his car and leaned out the window.

“Really, for someone who keeps saying they want to be left alone you always seem to be trying to talk to me” he said his eyes full of mischief.  Now I was so angry I couldn’t even think of a snappy retort.  I glared at him, spun on my heel kicking up dust and started running again.  I turned up the iPod to full blast and used my anger to push myself faster and ignored my aching ribs.  I didn’t look back and I didn’t stop running until I reached James’ house.

“Hey kid” James waved as I jogged up the porch.

“Hey, yourself” I puffed, smiling at him.  He just makes me feel comfortable and happy.

“Enjoy your run?” he asked

“Actually, no!  This guy from school won’t leave me alone.  How hard is it to get a restraining order?” I asked scowling and only slightly joking.

“Who’s bugging you?” he asked concerned.

“Alexander Foxworth! Everywhere I go he always shows up and today on my run he had the audacity to accuse me of stalking him!  I mean really, how lame can he be! I hardly know this town and I sure as hell don’t know him.  I’m trying to keep to myself and he just won’t go away.  What do I have to do to get him to leave me alone?” I asked hotly.

“Hmmm, I think he’s just trying to figure you out” James answered, there was laughter in his eyes.

“What by annoying me to death? I swear I’m never dating boys they are just too annoying and so not worth the aggravation.” I grumbled scowling.

“So I guess that means you like him huh.” James smiled at me, raising an eyebrow.

My mouth dropped and my eyes bulged at his statement. “WHAT?” I yelled, stunned.

“That’s what I thought” he chuckled.

“I-I don’t” I stuttered “He’s annoying!”

“Kid, if you want him to leave you alone either start acknowledging him, or become his sister’s best friend and then you’ll have an excuse to say no to him.  Or you can just say yes and go out with him.” James laughed shaking his head.

“I will never date that pompous, egotistical, hero-complexed moron even if he’s the last guy on the planet!” I fumed as I turned and slammed the bathroom door.

James laughed quietly to himself and left me alone for the rest of the night.

            The next day Lizzy met me by my locker when the bell for lunch rang.  I noticed her brother and his friend with the Sapphire blue eyes just down the hall watching us.  I clenched my jaw tightly as I opened my locker and dumped my books in.

“Anastasia are you okay? You don’t look too happy right now.” Lizzy observed.

“It’s nothing.  I just have a stalker issue and I haven’t figured out how to get rid of him yet” I replied as I grabbed my wallet and jacket.

“Who’s stalking you?” Lizzy asked confused.

“No one worth discussing, I’m thinking about getting a restraining order against him” I said as we walked by her brother.  I noticed that the boy with Sapphire blue eyes was trying not to laugh as I smirked to myself. Perhaps he’ll get the hint now.

            Lizzy and I went to a small restaurant just off the main street.  As we were placing our order for lunch her brother and his friend entered the restaurant.  My eyes narrowed in annoyance as they picked a table on the opposite side of the room.

“What is it?” Lizzy asked

I figured I may as well cut to the chase “Why is your brother following me?”  Her eyes widened.

“Is he bothering you?” she asked with a ‘not again’ tone in her voice.

“My god, Lizzy, Everywhere I go he seems to appear out of nowhere! It’s getting tedious and annoying” I replied.

“I’ll talk to him.” She said as she shook her head and glanced towards him.

“You know, I’ve told him several times to leave me alone and that I’m not interested but I think he just finds that a challenge.  I just hope he gives up soon.” I said shaking my head.  Lizzy looked at me and stated matter of factly.
 “My brother is very stubborn, if he wants something he’ll get it no matter how long it takes.”

“Well, he’s going to be waiting an awfully long time to get me. I’m not interested in dating at all. I have way more important things to do.” I replied.

“Really? Like what?” Lizzy asked looking at me curiously.

“Oh, I was thinking, of finding some friends, or better yet, one best friend to hang with” I stated with a grin. 

Lizzy laughed “Well perhaps I can help you with that” she beamed.

“So what do you want to do on Saturday?” I queried of my new BFF with a grin.

“How about we go to a matinee movie and then we can drive around town, you know I can show you all the important places to go shopping, hang out spots and stuff like that” she smiled.

“Sounds good to me” I replied as the waitress placed our lunch in front of us.  We happily tackled our meals, Alex was forgotten as we enjoyed our new found friendship.

            As Lizzy and I took our time walking back to the school I felt a strange presence behind us. I stopped suddenly and spun around with my fists clenched looking into a startling pair of sapphire blue eyes.

“Hi” the blue eyed boy said in a friendly manner.  I was taken aback and blushed.

“Um, hi” I said and turned back.  He chuckled softly as Lizzy rolled her eyes.

“Will this is Anastasia, Anastasia this is Will, my cousin.  I think he’s going to bug you a lot now because you blushed” she gave me an apologetic smile.

“Great, two stalkers, just what I need” I sighed.

“Stalker?” Will asked amused.

“Ya, first Alexander seems to be infatuated with me and follows me everywhere, now you’re going to follow me too” I replied trying not to stare at him. Hey, what can I say?  This family is beautiful and they all have beautiful eyes!

“Funny, that’s what he said about you” Will replied slightly amused.  My eyes narrowed as my anger started to flare.

“What! Why that presumptuous, pompous, egotistical jerk!” I flared.

“Wow, he’s really gotten under your skin” Lizzy observed wide eyed.  I looked at Lizzy, and counted to ten in my head before I replied.

“I’m sorry Lizzy, I didn’t mean to be rude.  I’m just not used to people not taking no for an answer.”

“Don’t worry Anastasia, he’ll lose interest when the next new girl arrives.” Laughed Will as he ran ahead to where Alexander was waiting.

“Anastasia don’t worry about the guys, they love to tease people and your reactions are what keeps them going.  You just have to stop reacting to them” Lizzy sighed knowingly.

“I’ll try but I’m not sure how effective that will be.” I said looking at the ground in frustration.  Lizzy put a hand on my arm and I pulled away instinctively.

“Sorry” I said as I saw the hurt in her eyes.

“What happened to you?” she asked quietly.

“It doesn’t matter” I replied trying to think of something else to say, I wasn’t ready to tell her why I was so jumpy.

“I won’t tell anyone if that’s what you’re worried about” Lizzy said, concern in her eyes.

“Thanks, but I’m not ready to talk about some stuff. I need time, and we just met, and...”

“I’m here whenever you are ready” she told me sincerely.

I nodded and smiled tentatively “Thanks.”

            We walked into the music room together and took our regular seats.  Alexander was looking at his sheet music, he was concentrating on it so I took a moment to watched him.  I started to realize that not only was he gorgeous, he seemed to be so sure of himself and confident.  I bet he was smart too.  Why couldn’t I look away from him? Why did I want to stare at this annoying boy so much and why did I suddenly have butterflies in my stomach as he caught my gaze?  Those startling emerald green eyes seemed to burrow into me as if he could read my very soul.  My heart started to quicken and then suddenly through the fog of my thoughts I heard Mr Chang saying something.  I pulled my eyes away blushing and tried to pay attention for the remainder of the hour.  After class I stayed at the piano while everyone filed out and started playing a sad melody that Stacy had taught me.  Lizzy leaned on the piano listening until I was done.

“That was so beautiful and sad” she commented.

“I usually play that song on the harp, but I just felt like playing it for some reason” I replied wistfully.

“Hey, I’ll walk with you to the parking lot if you want” she offered with a smile.

“Sure, I’d like that” I smiled in return.

We got our home work and headed to our cars chatting quietly.

“I heard you’re going to do the exemption run.”

“Ya, I think it’ll be interesting” I replied contemplating what may happen.

“Well good luck. It’s not as easy as it looks” she said knowingly.

“Thanks.”

“Do you know when you’re going to do it?” she asked

“It would be great if it was during my lunch and spare but it’s after school” I replied with a sigh.

“Well maybe they’ll change the time” she commented.

“That would be awesome.” I agreed.

“Ok, I’ll see you tomorrow!” Lizzy smiled and walked towards Alexander and Will

No comments:

Post a Comment