Chapter 7: The Worthington’s
I actually slept in until seven thirty in the
morning which was a nice change for me.
I lied in bed looking at the ceiling thinking about the past week. I’ve come a long way. It’s hard to believe that I was running just
over a week ago. Now, in only a few
days, I was settled into my new school and living with my godfather who is a
bit of a mystery and it seemed that some of the girls at school had a crush on
him. I sighed. Not to mention that I’m
going out today with a girl from school whose brother I have a huge crush on
which is just an insane thought. I
thought about how I had treated him horribly yesterday and most of the past week
for that matter, but he just annoyed me so much. My music teacher was even able to get a harp
for me to play. I would have to say this
was a really great week except for the fact that my friend Paul had been killed
and I over reacted a few times. It’s
lucky I didn’t hurt that jock Mark or James although I doubt I could hurt James. I looked around for my iPod I wanted to
listen to music to keep me from rushing to get ready and to keep me relaxed. Lizzy wouldn’t be here for a few hours yet so
I could lie in bed and enjoy the luxury of lounging. My room was small, but I had two large
windows that looked out into the woods around me. I could see a blush of pink through the trees
as the sun started to rise over the hill. I stayed in bed until it was light
out enjoying the beauty of the sunrise. I
took my time with my morning shower since I didn’t have to rush, so I enjoyed
the hot water running down my back relaxing my shoulders. When I finally got out of the shower I
decided to dry my hair and styled it in soft curls. I have naturally wavy hair so it was easy to
curl the ends with a brush while I dried it.
I dressed in a pair of black cargo type pants and a loose long sleeved
pink tee shirt to hide the bandage that I replaced around my ribs. I walked into the kitchen area for
breakfast. James was sitting in a chair
in the family room watching the morning news.
“Morning James”
“Morning kid, sleep well?”
“Yah, like a log once I stopped tossing and
turning, the air up here is good for me.
I haven’t been this relaxed in..I don’t remember” I mused trying to hide
that I was still upset about Paul.
He smiled.
“So what is on your schedule today?”
“Lizzy will be here in two hours so I thought
I’d start laundry after breakfast” he nodded at me.
“Do you know where you’re going today?” he
questioned.
“Not really.
She said that she wanted to go to a movie, so I figured we would go for
lunch and then to a matinee show. You
can ask her when she gets here and I have the phone you gave me, I’ll put it on
vibrate.”
“Don’t worry, I trust you. I just want to see about dinner is all.” he
contemplate for a minute.
“Maybe Lizzy could come over for dinner” he stated
looking at me questioningly. I shrugged.
“Sure, I’ll ask her when she gets here.” I
finished my toast and went to gather all the laundry. Once downstairs in the basement I went to the
washing machine in the far left corner behind the stairs and started a dark
wash. James had a pool table and some
couches in the basement. There was also
a set of French doors that opened to the back yard patio which faced the
lake. Exploring, I looked around the
room I also noticed for the first time the dark wooden bar on the right with
stools lined in front of it. There were
different sizes of glasses on the top of the bar. When I went around the bar I saw a small
glass front fridge full of beer. There was also a small wine rack fully stocked
and on the shelves behind the bar were several bottles of alcohol. I guessed this was for guests since I had
only seen James drink beer.
I decided to go out onto the patio. It was cool in the sunshine so I wrapped my
arms around myself as I looked around and saw the bunky to the left. You could sleep four people comfortably inside
it. To my right was a storage shed. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted a flash
of movement in the trees, but when I looked it was gone. I shivered nervously and went back inside. I couldn’t be, sure but the movement I saw
wasn’t like the movement of an animal. Whatever
it was had jumped from one tree to the next with a speed that I had only seen
in movies.
I checked my watch and it was almost ten thirty
in the morning. I ran upstairs to my
room to get my wallet and a jacket. I
grabbed my favourite lip gloss and shoved it in one of the pockets of my pants
and my cell phone which I hooked to my belt.
Then I ran to the basement and changed the laundry over to the dryer and
started the next load.
I heard a knock on the door upstairs. James
answered it before I could get back up the stairs.
“Hello Lizzy, how are you
this morning?” He sounded amused like I
was missing a private joke.
“I’m great thanks, is Anastasia ready?” she
asked.
“Yes I’m ready.” I answered as I came into view
at the top of the stairs. She smiled
brightly at me.
“So what are your plans for today?”James asked.
“Well I thought I’d show her the town from a
teen’s point of view and then go to a movie” she replied happily.
“Well, that sounds like fun. Would you like to stay for dinner
tonight? I’ll order in your favourite”
James said.
Lizzy smiled. “Sure that sounds great I’ll let
my aunt know” she turned to me. “James used to come over a lot when my uncle
needed help with the basement” she explained. I guess my curious expression
gave me away. I nodded and grabbed my jacket. “I’ll see you later James. I’ll call you when we’re on our way back
here.” I said.
“You can invite your family to join us if you
like Lizzy. I haven’t seen them in
awhile and we could order a game on the big screen downstairs” James said
looking thoughtful. You could see the
plans forming in his eyes.
“Sure I’ll call home and get my uncle to call
you back. I don’t think the guys are
doing anything tonight.” she grinned at him as we exited the house.
Lizzy drove a black BMW with tinted windows just
like the one I had seen Alex with. The inside had leather seats which were very
comfortable. The stereo was on and
playing Linkin Park.
“Do you want to listen to something else? My brother was the last person to drive and I
didn’t change the cd. I’m not sure exactly what kind of music you like.”
“This is fine, I have pretty eclectic
taste. I listen to everything from
Mozart to Nine inch Nails.” I said softly as I looked out the window trying not
to remember the death of my friend.
“Wow that is quite the range” she replied. “So,
shall we start your tour of the wonderful town of Huntsville” she asked in an
amused tone.
“I’m ready and willing.” I grinned - anything
to distract me would be good right now.
Lizzy took me to all the places that I needed
to know about. The best hang out spots
that most of the other students frequented, the best restaurants, the best
stores to go to and, of course, which ones to avoid because of all the tourists
that stop here on their way to cottage country.
She told me that if I really wanted to go shopping I would have to go to
Orillia or Barrie for a mall and maybe we could make it a road trip in the
future. I laughed at that. After living in large cities most of my life
with everything within walking distances or a short ride on the subway, it was
different to think of driving an hour just to get to a mall.
Around two o’clock we went to see a new release
romance movie. Once the movie let out
Lizzy called home to talk to her aunt and uncle to invite them to dinner. As we drove back to my place she started
laughing into the phone. I looked at her
quizzically as she winked at me. After
she was done she let loose on me. “So, it looks like everyone is coming for
dinner. You had better let James know” she said thoroughly amused.
“Ok” I said confused dialling the number. “James, it’s me. Lizzy said everyone is coming over.” James
laughed and said everything would be ready around six in the evening and that
he would call the Worthington ’s
to let them know what time dinner was.
“Ok now that is settled, what is all the laughing
about?” I asked perplexed.
“Oh nothing, there’s just a standing bet
between your godfather and my uncle about a few things. They love to razz each
other every chance they get” she smiled at me. There was more to what she was
saying, I was sure of it.
We arrived at the house just as James was
putting plates and cutlery on the table.
“Hey girls, did you have fun?”
“Ya, it was great” we said and in unison and
started giggling. We went downstairs and
turned on the big screen TV and started to watch a movie while we waited for
her family to arrive. I was nervous to
meet her family, not because I didn’t know them, but because her brother would
likely be here and I didn’t want her to know that I had a crush on him. Not to
mention I was terrified that he would see through me like he had done the other
day.
Lizzy’s family arrived shortly after six thirty
and we went upstairs to greet them.
“Anastasia this is my Uncle Max and Aunt Katie,
my cousin Casandra, and you already know the boys” Lizzy smiled at me.
“Hello, it’s nice to meet you” I said to all of
them. I gazed at Casandra and tried not
to do anything stupid since I was sure she remembered me destroying my old cell
phone.
“It’s nice to finally meet you too. Lizzy’s been talking about you all week and
your godfather wouldn’t give us any hints except to show us a picture of you
when you were probably five years old.” Katie said playfully glaring at James. I blushed bright red yet again at the
attention.
“Oh, this is going to be fun.” said Will grinning
at me mischievously.
“Will, leave the poor girl alone. You don’t have to make tonight an
inquisition” said Alexander as he eyed me knowingly as I fidgeted uncomfortable
with all the attention.
“Hey man, she’s the new kid. The inquisition is on until I’m satisfied” he
laughed as I blushed an even deeper red and looked at my feet. James and Max started laughing at my reaction
too. Great, it was going to be a long
night of torture.
“Don’t worry Anastasia, I’ll keep him in check”
Lizzy assured me. I smiled thankfully at
her.
“So where are George and Stephan? I was sure
they would tag along with a big game on and all” James asked.
“They’re camping this weekend” Max replied.
“They’ll be back late tomorrow night.”
“So what’s for dinner?” asked Casandra “Oh
wait. Let me guess - PIZZA!!” she looked at Lizzy with a ‘not again’ look on
her face. Lizzy and I both smiled.
“Don’t worry Cassy, there’s left over Chinese
in the fridge if you want” joked James.
“Where’s the deck of cards? We might as well
play a game or two while we wait for the pizza to arrive.” said Will.
“I’ll get them” I said shyly, and walked
downstairs to the bar where I had seen a couple of decks of cards and grabbed
two. I turned to head back upstairs and
nearly slammed into Alexander. “Oh, sorry” I said jumping back immediately as I
turned scarlet at his proximity. He was
just as stunningly gorgeous as the first moment I saw him. Ruggedly handsome in a light brown sweater and
slightly baggy jeans. He grinned at my
reaction.
“I shouldn’t have followed so close, it’s my
fault.” he apologized rounding the bar to grab three beers from the fridge.
“Why do you do that?” I asked quietly
“Do what?” he said giving me that cocky grin of
his.
“Purposely try to get me to react to you?” I clarified
looking at him questioningly.
“I like the way you react. You blush beautifully and I know that you
hate it. It’s the one major weakness you
have” he said as he smiled at me, those gorgeous eyes glowing.
“I really wish you wouldn’t do that.” I shook
my head slowly.
“Don’t worry, I’ll behave tonight but I won’t
make any promises about school” he leered at me as we went back upstairs to see
that everyone was getting drinks and settling around the table.
“So what are we going to play tonight” James
asked.
“Let’s play gin rummy” suggested Katie. Everyone seemed to be ok with that. We had to use the two decks with eight of
us. The pizza arrived about 20 minutes
into our game so we all grabbed a slice and continued playing.
“Alex, are you still planning on going to that
car rally next weekend?” Lizzy asked.
“Ya, why?” he replied looking at her
quizzically.
“I was going to ask Anastasia to stay overnight”
Lizzy stated.
“Oh” he said giving his sister a curious look
as I looked at her questioningly.
Lizzy looked at me “I thought we could go
shopping in town for the day and then we could rent some movies. You know, have
a girls night. Everyone else is going to
be away and I thought it would be fun.” she smiled warmly at me.
“Do you mind James, if I go?” I asked politely.
“Sure kid, sounds good. I can always stop by and make sure there
aren’t any wild parties going on” he smiled knowingly as though he had done
that himself when he was growing up. I
looked at him with curiosity - he was always so accommodating. It was like I was missing something.
“Um, Lizzy” she looked at me with an open
expression.
“How exactly are you related to the others?” I
asked her quietly not wanting to be rude.
“Katie was my mother’s best friend. Our mother died shortly after we were born and
we never met our father” she told me openly.
“I’m sorry.
I was just curious.” I said looking down at my hands.
“That’s ok I’m not keeping any secrets. Besides,
I think everyone here is curious about you too.” she looked at me knowingly.
“Why?” I asked. “Why would anyone be curious
about me?”
“Oh! I think it has to do with the fact that no
one really knows anything about you.” she smiled.
“What do you want to know?” I looked at her
questioningly. That was the cue Will was
waiting for because then he started the on a barrage of questions.
“Were did you live before you came here?”
“New York”
“Were in New York?”
“Manhattan”
“Are the girls pretty there?”
“Um, I guess so I’m not really into girls” I
looked at him wearily and rolled my eyes.
Will laughed.
“Ok let’s get to the good stuff.” he said.
My eyes widened in fear. “What do you mean by good stuff? Exactly?”
“Well we’ve established that you’re not into
girls, which means you’re into guys.
What kind of guys do you like? To coin a cliché, what’s your type
Anastasia?” he asked with a sly grin on his face his vivid sapphire blue eyes
sparkling intensely with mischief.
I turned crimson, but not because of the reason
they were thinking. I was thinking of Paul
and I was doing everything not to let it slip that my friend had died recently. I looked at the floor trying to control my
emotions before I looked up again.
“Leave her alone Will, your taken.” said Cassy
chastising him.
I smiled thankfully at her. I really didn’t want to get into that
subject. The weird part was that
everyone seemed interested in the answer to that question. I took a deep breath and told the truth.
“I really honestly, can’t say. I’ve only sort of dated once before. It really isn’t a good idea for me, to date
that is. I move around too much.”
“Well now, that’s different, I personally know
of at least 3 or 4 guys who would love to ask you out. I could set you up or something” Will teased
winking at me. I’m not sure I could turn
any redder as my annoyance grew.
“Um, no thanks, I don’t think that’s a good
idea” I choked out.
“Will, leave her alone, the poor girl is
crimson and you just keep pushing. She’s
never going to come around now if you’re home.” whined Lizzy. Will and Alex laughed.
“GIN!” called Katie and that was the end of the
card game and some of my torment. I volunteered
to clear the table to avoid any more questions about my dating experience. Everyone had had their fill of pizza and they
were moving to the basement just in time for the big game. I washed the dishes as quickly as possible so
I could join everyone downstairs. I was
glad that the boys had gone downstairs so I could relax and that Cassy had
stayed behind to help me.
“Please don’t mind Will he’s just trying to be
a jerk, and he really isn’t. He loves to
tease people and I think he’s just trying to figure you out.” said Cassy from
behind me as she came over to dry the dishes.
“It’s ok, really, I don’t mind. I guess this is what it must be like to have
a big brother” I replied smiling.
“Yeah, an annoying one” Cassy jollied. We laughed as Lizzy came up the stairs to
join us.
“Do you want to play another game of cards? The guy’s are willing?” Lizzy asked us.
“I want to watch the game for a bit and then I
still need to call George. I’ve hardly
spoken to him all day” Cassy said and went downstairs.
“Sure. We could play euchre” I suggested. Lizzy called to the boys as she started
sorting through the cards.
“Don’t let Alex and Lizzy be partners” warned
James. “They table talk all the time. They’re
the best cheaters I’ve ever met.” Lizzy and Alex looked at James innocently.
“Alex can be Anna’s partner.” said Will and
winked at me. “You don’t mind being called that do you?” he asked.
“No, I guess not” I said as I sat at the table
looking at my hands. I never thought that being called Anna would feel so
nice. It was like being closer to my
mother in a way and I smiled wistfully to myself.
“So what happened to your mother?” Will asked
pointedly. The colour drained from my
face as all the memories came flooding back of the horrible incident. I took a
deep breath, pulling myself together.
“She died when I was ten.” I said in a crisp tone
that closed that subject. I didn’t like
to lie, but I really didn’t want to think about that day. I looked out the window and I could see Alex
and Lizzy glaring at Will in the reflection of the glass. I also noticed that they were almost
communicating without speaking to each other.
It was something more than just the look they had given him, it was like
they were talking to each other without speaking.
“I’m sorry I didn’t mean to offend you Anna.”
Will said quietly.
“It’s ok I guess, my mom is a touchy subject
for me still” I replied sadly.
“Hearts is trump” said Will and we started to
play. Unfortunately I had nothing and
couldn’t take any tricks. Alex didn’t
look too happy about that. But the next hand was a lot better, when it came around
to me to pick the suit, I stated “Diamonds, alone.” I looked at my cards - I
had the perfect hand Ace, king, queen and both bowers. I think I redeemed myself to Alex.
“So how do you like our school?” Alex asked his
emerald green eyes boring into mine, they had a swirling liquid quality to them
and I could feel my heart start to race as I seemed to be sucked into their
beautiful depths.
“It’s small, but I kind of like it. I seem to fit in ok I guess. Your music program isn’t bad I like Mr. Chang,
it was really nice of him to get a harp in for me to play.” I smiled at him
trying very hard not to stutter or blush.
“Wow, I’ve never heard of him doing that
before.” said Will as he led an ace of hearts.
“Well he asked me what instrument I played and
I told him the harp. He seemed to be
intrigued by that and the fact that my Aunt Stacy was a teacher and taught me
to play and that she played for the New York symphony orchestra. I also told him that I went to an ‘Arts’
school in New York” I said as Lizzy placed the nine of hearts on the
table. I took the trick with my queen of
diamonds and smiled evilly at them as I placed the rest of my cards on the
table.
“This would be my hand.” I said
triumphantly. Alex grinned at me and
nodded.
“So you can
play” Will smirked as I nodded.
“Well on with the inquisition.” Will continued
as Alex dealt the next round of cards. I
just shook my head in mock defeat.
“So what kind of music do you like?” he asked
making conversation.
“I pretty much listen to everything I’m not
crazy about rap or thrasher music. I like the classics, the 80's, 90's, jazz, MO
town, blues, dance, Celtic, rock, metal pretty much anything from Mozart to
Nine inch Nails as I said to Lizzy earlier today” I replied looking into his sapphire
blue eyes. It was going to be very hard
being around all these beautiful people without feeling a bit insignificant I
thought to myself.
“Your tastes are pretty varied. That’s cool. It won’t be hard for someone to
take you to a concert” he laughed as he gave Alex a sidelong glance. I pretended not to notice.
“So what was your last school like?” Alex
questioned
“Um, artistic would be the best way to describe
it. We all took music, acting and dance
lessons on top of regular classes.” I said looking at my cards.
“What about street running - which team were
you on?” Will questioned. My eyes
widened as I looked at him. I hadn’t
realized that they had figured that out or knew anything about running.
“What do you mean?” I asked warily
“We saw you running with the coach’s friend and
you were pretty good” he said. “Besides, we’re familiar with street running.”
“I ran with the Crazy Arch Angels.” I answered
not sure if I should have told them that or not.
Alex and Will looked at each other and then at me with raised eyebrows.
“What was your nick name in the group?” Alex
asked.
“Does it matter?” I said trying to avoid the
question. Alex rolled his eyes at my
evasion.
“Alex, leave her alone. She’s not crazy enough to tell you everything
and besides that, what would you ask her at school if you get everything out of
her tonight?” Lizzy had come to my rescue.
“How else am I going to torment her if she
won’t spill?” Alex pouted mockingly and crossed his arms across his chest.
“How about you don’t bug me at all! And stick
with the girls who faun over you at school.” I snapped at him. He was getting WAY too personal! And why did
I tell them as much as I did? That was weird.
“Ooooo, jealous much” he eyed me.
“Whatever.” I rolled my eyes. “You are so
annoying.”
“You like me and you know it” he smirked.
“Not in this lifetime.” I glared at him, I
hated the fact that he could see right through me and now I had to do
everything I could to make him think that I didn’t like him.
“Alex, stop teasing her and play the game.”
Lizzy said shaking her head.
Alex and I won two out of three games. We were
about to start our fourth game but Max and Katie came upstairs with James.
“It’s time to go kids” Katie said.
“What time is it?” asked Lizzy
“It’s almost one in the morning” Max replied
smiling.
“Who won the game?”Alex asked.
“Boston.
Like the Leafs would win.” said James.
They all laughed. We all got up
from the table and headed for the front door.
James and I wished everyone a safe drive home. I walked back to the kitchen area to gather
up the cards and put them away. I was
thankful that no one had brought up my strange defensiveness at school or the
dating thing again. I noticed a jacket
on the back of one of the chairs as I put the cards back into their boxes.
“Do you know whose jacket this is?” I asked.
“I believe that’s Alex’s” James answered with a
cough trying to hide the chuckle.
“I guess I’ll have to take this over to their
house tomorrow.” I said as my heart started to race at the thought. I really needed to stay away from him.
James just smiled.
“You look kind of flush kid. Are you feeling ok?” he asked.
“I’ve been feeling kind of off for the last
hour or so actually, I think I’ll head to bed.
I’ll probably feel better in the morning.” I replied smiling “Oh, by the
way, were you able to find a place for me to practise, tomorrow?” I asked
politely.
“Yep, there’s a place about four kilometers
from here. We’ll have to hike there if you’re up to it, would you like a
sparring partner for a bit? I could use a good workout.” James chuckled.
“Sure that would be great.” I beamed at
him. It would be nice to get a real
workout I thought.
“Night kid”
“Night”
I walked to the bathroom so that I could brush
my teeth and get ready for bed. Once I
had changed, I crawled into bed, very exhausted all of a sudden. I could hardly keep my eyes open. The dreams came quickly, I wasn’t scared of
my dreams usually, but tonight I wasn’t feeling so great and I felt like I was
in a cloud the last part of the evening.
One of my dreams was so real it startled me awake. I sat up drenched in sweat and panting my eyes
wide with fear. I couldn’t remember what
I had just dreamed all I knew was that I was terrified. I got out of bed and went to wash my
face. Climbing back into bed I looked
out the window. For the first time I
realized that I could see into the woods without a lot of difficulty. I knew it was dark out, but that didn’t seem
to matter. The trees were just as clear
as if the sun was shining. As I gazed
about in wonder I noticed movement in one of the trees. Whatever it was moved too quickly for me to
get a good look at it, all I knew was that it was relatively big for an
animal. I shook my head and rubbed my
eyes. When I looked back out the window,
it was dark again like it should be. I
crawled back under the covers and tried to go to sleep. What I didn’t realize then was that was the
start of my strange “gift” coming to the surface and making itself known. I finally did fall back to sleep after
awhile. When I woke up it was light out
already.
No comments:
Post a Comment