Monday, 11 September 2017

Chapter 34


Chapter 34: Uninvited guest
 
Upon entering the food tent we found there was an unexpected surprise for Alex.  He stopped suddenly and stared at a young woman with long rich chestnut hair and a fabulous figure.  She was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen, but her eyes gave away her true nature.  They were a bright aquamarine colour that appraised Alex appreciatively.
“’Appy birthday, Alex” she cooed with a sexy French accent. When she spoke it was like listening to a beautiful melody, she was mesmerizing and exuded cool, sexy confidence.
“Sasha.  It’s nice to see you again.  Why are you here?” he questioned his eyes narrowing slightly.
“Can’t an old friend stop by to say ‘allo?  Such bad manners Alex.  Oo’s your petite amie?” she asked critically looking me over.  Her expression showed exactly what she thought of me; I was insignificant.  I felt my belly tighten and a hot ball of anger forming, but I also began to worry at that moment, and I wasn’t sure why.  Alex was as rigid as a board and I could tell he wasn’t at all happy.
“Anna, this is Sasha De la O.  She’s an old acquaintance from France. Sasha, this is Anna my girlfriend,” Alex said, pulling me beside him possessively as he looked coldly at her.
“I vould’ardly call us acquaintances Alex, ve vere much more zan zat,” she smirked as I stiffened.  I suddenly lost my appetite and I could feel the colour drain from my face.
“Come now Alex, ve’ave tings to discuss.  Your little toy vill’ave to vait,” she said smugly as she turned and sauntered away, her hips swaying seductively.  Oh, she was good.  I felt like a little girl compared to her.
“Anna, I’m so sorry.  She’s always been rude especially when she doesn’t get what she wants,” Alex glared after her, anger seething in his voice.
I looked into his eyes for a second. “You go on, I’ll be okay.” I said smiling with a confidence I didn’t feel.  Alex looked at me worriedly.
“Anna, she and I….” He started to say, but I put my fingers on his lips to stop him.
“You don’t have to explain now. Go see what she wants, I’ll be with the others,” I turned quickly so that he couldn’t see the fear in my eyes and walked out of the tent, my head held high.  I heard Sasha’s tickling laugh as I left. 
“That was very rude Sasha, and uncalled for,” I overheard Alex snap as he glared at her.
“A vee bit sensitive ees she? Too bad,” she said nonchalantly.  “Ve’ave business to attend to and I do not deal vith’er kind,” I had heard enough.  I stalked off to find Lizzy before I completely lost my mind.
I found Lizzy talking to Cassy and Tisha.  They were by the pool bar having a friendly debate about who the cutest guy on the basketball team was.
“Lizzy, can I ask you a question?” I asked as I tried to control the myriad of emotions I was feeling.
“Sure what is it?” she looked at me, her expression changing to concern as she looked at my face.
“Who is Sasha De la O and what is she to your brother?” I blurted out.
“She and Alex dated a long time ago.  Why do you ask?” she glanced at Cassy and then to me worriedly.
“Because she’s here and he’s with her now.  Something about business to attend to, and she was really rude,” I answered anxiously.
“She’s here?  Where?” Lizzy demanded scanning the area.
“In the food tent,” I said pointing.
“Stay here, I’ll be right back.” She looked pissed, even with the far away look she always got when she and Alex communicated.  She slammed into her brother’s head to find out what was going on.
“Cassy, please, what’s going on?” I begged.
“Alex should be the one to explain this,” she said quietly. “Come on lets go for a walk.”  I nodded and followed her away from the mass of people.  She waited till we were alone before she began.
“Did Alex tell you that he had dated before?” she asked looking down at the ground as we walked.
“Yes, he said he had a bit more experience than I did,” I replied quietly. Cassy nodded slowly.
“Alex met Sasha about a hundred years ago and they were inseparable for about twenty years.  He really cared about her, possibly even loved her but she took off with another vampire when she got bored of him.  That’s what she does.  She’ll draw you in, and then walk away, stomping on your heart without a care.  Alex was a mess for years.  Actually, until he saw you, Anna.  You brought him out of his shell and he’s happy for the first time in decades.  Lizzy is pissed because she doesn’t want Sasha to ruin his happiness, and you don’t want to get Lizzy mad.  Trust me.  She’s vicious,” she said searching my face for a reaction.
“But why come back now?  What could she possibly want?” I looked at her with troubled eyes my voice shaking.
“I don’t know, Anna, all we can do is wait.” she said quietly.  I nodded, sighing.
“Does this mean she’ll be staying here?” I asked trying not to let my emotions show.
“It’s a possibility,” she answered carefully. Cassy could tell I was becoming extremely emotional.
“I see.” I looked at my feet trying not to think too hard.
“Anna, don’t worry.  Alex cares for you now so Sasha shouldn’t be able to use her abilities on him.  At least I don’t think she’ll be able to,” she said anxiously.
I nodded slowly still looking at the ground.  My heart was squeezing so tightly in my chest I could barely breathe as Cassy led me into the secret garden for some privacy and quiet, but that turned out to be a huge mistake. Sasha and Alex were standing by the fountain talking, his back was to us, and he had his hand on her cheek.  Sasha saw us and leaned forward to kiss him passionately and he responded to her advance.  I froze in place clutching my chest as I felt my heart twist in agony.  It felt like it had shattered into a thousand pieces and I spun around and ran, my eyes blurred by tears.
“Anna! Stop!” Cassy screamed running after me.  I ignored her as I headed straight for the trees on the other side of the lawn.  Once I was out of sight I concentrated, putting my pain behind me.  I needed to move faster; like the wind.  I felt the energy moving around me and it spun faster and faster propelling me forward. My only thought was that I had to get away, away from the image of Alex and Sasha kissing, away from everything and everyone.  My feet carried me to the clearing where James and I used to practise because it was a place where I had been happy.  Even though I had stopped moving, the energy around me did not. It whirled around me creating a barrier between me and the rest of the world.  My aching heart was torn into shreds as the image of Alex responding to Sasha flooded my mind yet again. Leaves and grass swirled in the air around me as I stood in the centre of the clearing, dejected.  My body started shaking violently as rejection sank in.  How could I compete with Sasha?  She was everything I wasn’t.  I looked up to the sky and saw nothing but darkness, and I could feel the darkness getting closer, closing in on me, surrounding me entirely.  This was my nightmare.  Alone and afraid with no one to guide me through.  I couldn’t see the light, I couldn’t see any light and it felt like my heart had shrivelled up and died.  I screamed and fell to the ground, tears streaming down my cheeks.
“Anna!” I heard someone call.  I could hear them; but they were far away and I didn’t really care.  I was alone in my misery.
“Anna, please, Anna.” Through my haze of pain |I recognized James’ voice and I sat up slowly.  The energy was still swirling around me effectively making a barrier that muted sounds and protected me.  James trotted into the clearing and stopped in shock as his gaze landed on me. He took in the image of me surrounded by a whirling vortex of energy and he clearly saw the tortured expression on my face.
“Anna, calm down, please.  Let me talk to you.  Please, Anna.  You know I won’t hurt you.  Please let me in,” James pleaded with me, his eyes filled with sadness.  I turned away from him.  The wall was already in place, my emotions were being locked away and I didn’t want to feel anymore. When I looked back at him I felt nothing, I was dead inside, and an icy calmness engulfed me.
“Anna don’t shut me out.  You’re like a daughter to me, please don’t shut down like you did when you got here.  Don’t do it.  He loves you Anna, I love you.” James’ voice was heartbroken as he tried to reach me through my wall.  I looked at him with eyes that were flat and devoid of any emotion.
“I can have no attachments.  I will move back in with you until this is over,” I said emotionlessly.
“Anna, you don’t have to do that.  Sasha was trying to goad you.  She wanted to hurt you because she wants what she can’t have.  Lizzy and Alex have been searching for you all night along with me and the others.  Please Anna, just talk to Alex and let him explain.” he said quietly looking at me lovingly, and hopefully.
“I do not want an explanation. I just want to be left alone.  I was foolish to hope that I could be with him.  She has something I don’t have and never will,” I clipped flatly.
“Anna that was a long time ago, he doesn’t feel that way about her anymore.  Sasha is old history.” James was pleading with me to understand.
“Then why did he kiss her back?  I was there long enough to see that,” I stated coldly.  My eyes remained dry as I had no more tears left.  The swirl of energy around me started to fade as the deadly calmness engulfed me creating an internal barrier that would protect me.  I slowly rose and walked towards James.  I concentrated on the cell phone that was attached to his belt and it flew into my hands in an instant.  I taped the keys rapidly and returned it to James without a second thought.  I looked at him my face expressionless, my tone business like and curt.
“We will leave for the Smithsonian in the morning.  We have research to do.  I do not have time for silly emotions and games with beautiful vampires who have powers that I cannot compete with.  I have already booked the flight for you and I.  We need to leave in a few hours for Toronto.” I moved quickly grabbing James’ arm to lead him back to his house.
“Are you going to talk to him Anna?” he asked quietly.
“I have nothing to say to him.” My voice was flat as I looked straight ahead while we ran back to his place.
I went to have a quick shower after we entered James’ house.  I had a few sets of clothes and toiletries that I had left here in case of an emergency.  Lucky for me I wouldn’t have to go back to Alex’s place to get my clothes.  I heard James on the phone as I was getting dressed.
“Yes she’s here.  No I don’t think that’s a good idea, Alex, she’s completely shut off,” his voice was sad.
“No, it’s like when she first arrived, when she didn’t let anyone in, only worse.  I think her heart is broken and she won’t listen, not to me or anyone.  She thinks you still love Sasha.”  There was a pause and James’ voice became short with anger.

“I know you don’t, but she saw you kiss her back.  How could you do that to her?” He scowled at the phone as I approached looking at him tapping my watch.  We had to leave.

“No, we’re leaving in a few minutes.  No, I don’t know when we’ll be back.  I don’t think I can tell you that Alex.” I looked at James flatly. “Because, she’s standing right in front of me Alex.”

“No, she doesn’t want to talk to you and I don’t have to ask her.  I can tell by the expression on her face,” he said eyeing me worriedly.

“I will.  Take care Alex.  I’ll call you when I get back.” He hung up the phone and turned to me.
“You should talk to him Anna, he’s a mess.” James looked at me beseechingly.

“We have no time, it’ll have to wait.  We have a flight to catch,” I said flatly as I grabbed my duffle bag and walked out the door to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment