Chapter 36: Stacy’s Place
The next day we reached Manhattan around two in
the afternoon. Wasting no time, we went
straight to Stacy’s. I still had a key
so I let us in knowing she was still at work.
Stacy usually spent two hours at practise every day and then had rehearsals
every Friday for four hours. I knew she
would be home in about half an hour and I hoped I didn’t freak her out being
here. I walked slowly around the uptown
apartment remembering my years with her.
I saw her favourite book sitting on the coffee table with my letter
sticking out holding her place. I smiled softly; I knew she would find the
letter I had left and know that I had to leave and that I hadn’t meant to hurt
her. James was sitting in a chair in the
living room waiting patiently for her to arrive. I heard the key in the door and I turned to
face Stacy as she entered. When she
opened the door and saw me standing there she dropped everything she was
carrying and stared at me in disbelief.
“Hello Stacy,” I said quietly.
“Alli, where have you been? When did you get here? What’s going on?” she demanded breathlessly
as she stared at me in shock. She
quickly pulled herself together and moved into the apartment catching sight of
James as she shut the door.
“Stacy this is my godfather, James Madley. My real name is Anastasia. You can call me Anna now. I’m living in Canada right now and, as for
what is going on, I can only tell you that my mother was very wise to have kept
me hidden. I’ve learned a lot this past
year. I’m sorry I left the way I did,
but it was the only way to keep you safe. You were being followed by one of my
father’s thugs. I didn’t want you to get
hurt because of me, so I left. I’ve seen
things that you would not believe and protecting those I’m close to is something
I’ve tried to do. I don’t want anyone to
get hurt because of me anymore,” I blurted out.
It felt so good to finally tell her the truth. She looked at me appraisingly, then suddenly threw
her arms around me and held me tightly.
“I’m so glad you’re safe,” she breathed.
“It’s good to see you too,” I whispered back
fighting the tears of happiness that threatened to spill over. I know she would believe me. I loved her so much.
“So why did you come here now?” she questioned
looking from me to James.
“Have you seen this writing before?” I asked
holding the pages Jeff had given me out to her.
She took the photocopied page and looked at it for a few minutes.
“Latin and Egyptian I believe,” she mused, more
to herself than to us. She sat down in a
chair by the window reading the passage quietly to herself.
“There’s one line missing. I have seen this before, but not the
original. Your mother had this written
on a piece of paper. I know there was
another line in Greek, something about a star choosing something. I really don’t remember, it was such a long
time ago.” She looked at me apologetically.
“Thank you,” I said quietly and exchanged a
glance with James.
“If your right then there is hope yet,” I
smiled with relief.
“What is this all about Anna?” she asked
raising the photocopy in her hand.
“That is a legend that my father and his family
believe in. I guess I kind of believe it
too, and I need to know as much as possible because my father and his family
think that I am the Rising Starr,” I explained.
“Anna!” James said in a disapproving tone.
I turned
to glare at him. “I’m not going to hide
this from her James. She’s in as much
danger as the rest of you and she needs to know why my father has been watching
her. It’s only fair,”
“You don’t know that Anna. He could have left her alone,” he retorted.
“I doubt that.
You know how thorough he is. I’ve
been keeping a low profile for years and he always finds me. The only reason he hasn’t done anything
lately is because of the ultimatum I gave him.” I stated flatly. James nodded tersely and crossed his arms
over his chest as he glared out the window.
I could tell that he wasn’t pleased, but he also knew I was right.
“Anna, what are you talking about? This is nothing but a silly story. There’s no real truth to it. Your mother left
your father because he was abusive.” Stacy looked at me in confusion.
“Yes, he and his family were extremely abusive,
but that wasn’t the only reason she left.
I mean, think about it Stacy, she never even told you my real name! She also never told me when my real birthday
was. I only found that out from James
this past September. She hid a lot about
me from everyone and James is the only one who knew the whole story and I knew
nothing of him until just before I arrived here.” I revealed to her.
Her eyes widened in shock as she took in what I had just told her. She shook her head in disbelief as she
thought about everything.
Just then, James’ phone rang. I
glanced at him as Stacy and I spoke quietly about my past few months in Huntsville . I didn’t tell her everything, I just gave her
a basic overview of how things had been.
I was listening to James conversation with half an ear.
“Yes,” he answered.
“When did it happen?” he demanded his eyes
darting worriedly to me and then out the window. My ears perked up immediately and I started
to pay attention to James and the tension in his shoulders and voice.
“We’ll leave immediately,” he stated firmly and
snapped the phone shut.
“We have to go Anna. Now.” He was on his feet immediately
and turned toward the door.
“What’s happened?” I asked in a panicked voice.
“Your school friend Jeff was found
murdered. We need to get back. I have to watch over the investigation,” he
said urgently as he headed for the door.
I nodded. I threw my arms around
Stacy and hugged her quickly as I folded the photocopy of the legend I had
shown her and put it back in my pocket.
“I’ll try to call you when this is over. I’m sorry you had to be involved,” I said
sadly. “Please stay safe.”
“I’m just glad you are okay. Take care of yourself.” She waved from the door as we got onto the
elevator.
We raced back to the airport
and booked the next flight back to Toronto.
“What’s going to happen when we get home?” I
asked worried.
“I don’t know.
I need to see the reports and, if I can, the body as well,” he answered.
“My father did this didn’t he? He’s getting impatient.” I looked at my
hands.
“We don’t know that for sure. We shouldn’t jump to conclusions until we
have all the facts.” James placed a hand on my shoulder trying to offer some
comfort.
“This is all my fault. I hurt the people I’m close to. I should be locked away forever.” Tears
starting to well up in my eyes. I felt
so helpless.
“Who are you talking about? Jeff or Alex?” he asked
softly brining me in for a hug.
I shook my head mutely, and leaned into his shoulder for support until
we could board the plane. I honestly
didn’t know who I was talking about at that point in time but I had a feeling
it was more related to Alex than Jeff.
No comments:
Post a Comment