Chapter 38: Letters
Lizzy threw her arms around me as I emerged
from the car. Cassy was right behind her
and grabbed us both in a group hug and I ended up losing my balance and we
tumbled into a pile on the driveway. We
all started giggling profusely.
“It’s nice to see you guys too but you don’t
need to knock me to the ground,” I laughed happily at them as we lay there a
tangled mass of limbs.
“Would you stop over reacting and stay put. You scared us half to death! I hate it when
you go all ‘powers of evasion with swirling energy barriers.’ It makes it
impossible for us to track you, and my brother was a blithering idiot for a
week. You have no idea the torture you put me through! And everyone else for that matter.” Lizzy mock
glared at me for a second before she started grinning again.
Cassy messed my hair. “You’re such a brat, you know that? George has
been sulking almost as much as Alex, although he hid it better. I hate it when he gets cranky. So next time when I tell you to stop would
you please do so? Cause if I catch you
I’m going to tie you to something with chains so you won’t be able to run!” She
put her hand on her hip and scowled at me
“You know it’s a defence mechanism, right? I run. If
you can catch me, I give you permission to do whatever it takes to keep me here,
there, or whatever, as long as it doesn’t hurt too much,” I said grinning as I
winked at them then promptly stuck my tongue out. They giggled at my mock display of defiance.
Alex, James and George watched us with amused looks on their faces. I looked at them as we all finally got up off
the ground brushing the dirt off our clothing.
“You don’t get it do you?” I asked the boys.
They looked at each other and shrugged.
“It’s okay, it’s a girl thing,” I winked at
them as I wound my arms around Lizzy and Cassy. We walked into the house together giggling leaving
the guys outside shaking their heads. I
spotted Katie in the kitchen and ran immediately and threw my arms around
her. She hugged me gently laughing.
“You are quite overzealous child. We haven’t had this much excitement since the
twins were children. I do hope you will
be able to tone it down for a few weeks, please. I don’t think my heart can take much more.” Her
eyes flashed with amusement.
“I am so sorry, I didn’t mean to make you worry,”
I said, suddenly feeling guilty for making someone I loved so much worry about
me. I lowered my head and bit my lower
lip peeking up at Katie.
“Oh, but you have that look mastered,” Katie
said looking at me with mock exasperation. “You’re forgiven and I sincerely
hope Lizzy did not teach you that.”
Widening my eyes “Teach me what?” I asked going for the Oscar with my innocent
look.
“She’s got a gift,” Lizzy said laughing.
I smiled at her and joined in the laughter. It felt so good to be here again. This house felt more like home to me than
James’ house did; I was truly at peace here.
Max, James, George, Stephan, Will and Alex were
discussing plans in the dining room. They were looking at a map of the field
that we would go to in August and planning detailed strategies for the possible
fight. They made plans to go to the
field to determine the best possible offensive and defensive positions. They were even planning which trail in my
father should take. I decided to that it
was best if I stayed out of that conversation. I knew battle plans were not my strong suit. I really couldn’t do anything but wait until
that fateful day in August. Thinking
about all this reminded me that I needed to re-read my mother’s letters.
Lizzy, Cassie and Katie had gone their separate
ways after giving me another welcome back hug and reassuring themselves that I
did not need anything. I assured them I
was doing okay and would ask for help if I needed it. Before going into the family room, I grabbed
a pen and noted pad from the kitchen. I
swung my backpack over my shoulder and went to sit on the family room floor so
I could sit spread out. I opened my bag
and took out the letters, the keys, and the map, placing them beside each other
on the floor in front of me.
I methodically opened each letter and spread
them out in front of me. I also opened
the map and spread it out beside the letters.
I recognized this map as the one my mother and I always used and as I studied
it I noticed that three cities were circled.
I thought that was odd since we had never been to any of those
cities. I held up the key chain to get a
closer look. The six keys jangled
together. I knew two of the keys opened
doors, two were for small locks and the remaining two keys were even smaller and
I noticed numbers stamped on them. I
studied the keys and looked at the map again. As I was surveying my pile of things Lizzy
padded softly into the family room and sat cross-legged on the couch watching
me curiously.
“That’s it!” I exclaimed. Lizzy jumped, startled at my outburst.
“That’s what?” she asked. “What ARE you doing
anyway?”
“Sorry, I was just thinking out loud.” I
replied smiling at her. I decided Lizzy
could be a great person to bounce ideas off, so I continued. “I was thinking
about what Stacy told me. She said my
mother had a hand written, but complete, copy of the legend so I thought that
she may have saved it for me; hid it somewhere and left me clues. In her letters I was always curious why she
would include strange words and numbers and this key chain; it has six keys but
I’ve only ever used three. My mother and I always used the same map wherever we
went. The hot chocolate stain in the
upper corner was my doing.” I smiled wistfully at the memory as I pointed out
the items to Lizzy.
“While I was looking at the map just now, I
noticed that three cities were circled. Mother
and I were never in any of those cities, so I think there is something she left
for me in each of the circled cities. I
also bet that the three keys I never used open whatever that something is. I know she left information for me out there and
I just have to find it.” I explained, my excitement building as I realized I
was likely on to finally learning more about my fate.
“Can I help you at all?” Lizzy asked as she sat down gracefully beside
me. I beamed at her gratefully; she was
such an awesome person and I knew I could use some help.
“Could you help me look at each letter and
write down any words and numbers that don’t match up? I think my mother hid the answers in these
letters.” Lizzy nodded her understanding
and immediately began reading.
Letter 1.
Anastasia.
If
you’re reading this letter it means things haven’t gone as I had planned. As
long as you do exactly as I say, you’ll be fine. I know it’s hard and you miss
me, but now is not the time for tears.
You need to stay focused, I know you can do it, sweetheart. The first thing you need to do is take the
bus to the address below. In the front pocket of the backpack you’ll find a set
of keys. You will need the key with the
blue ring on it. When you get to the place at the address I listed use the key
to open the door. On the kitchen counter
you’ll see two black bags, and at the end of the hall in the closet you’ll find
a black and red slouch pouch, put it around your waist and grab the bags off
the counter. Open the bag with the blue
stripe, pull out the red wig and put it on.
Make sure all your hair is hiddin honey.
Once you have that on go across the street to the bus station. Buy two
tickets; one under the name you have now, and pick any city far to the
northwest of here, such as Seattle. The
next ticket should be purchased under the name we used in Boulder. The destination for this ticket will be
Mexico City.
Once
you have both tickets, you will need to leave the bus station and take a taxi
to the airport. I want you to buy a plane ticket to Australia, then go to the
nearest bus station and buy a ticket to New York under your new name, Allie
Burns. You’ll see a couple sets of new Passports. Don’t use the one with your
real name on it, that’s for later, a last resort. When you get to New York City , New Hampshire
you’ll be staying with my friend Stacy.
Give her the letter that has her name on it. She’ll know what to
do. The passport with your real name is
a last resort, only use it if you’re found again. If that happens you’re to take a roundabout way
to your godfather’s home in Huntsville, Ontario. There is a letter for him as well. Do not open that letter, it’s for his eyes
only. I mean it. Don’t loose these
letters, they are very important. Concord .
When you get to New York read the next letter I have for you, it’ll explain a
few more things.
I love you
Mom
“Wow she was pretty thorough wasn’t she?” Lizzy
said in an awed tone.
“Yes, she was. You have to remember I was ten
when I had to read that first letter. I
don’t know if I could have done it without her.
She helped me to stay strong and focused.” I said thoughtfully.
“Well I’ve written a few things down from this
letter that don’t make sense so let’s keep going and we’ll have a look at
everything after,” Lizzy said casually.
We started to read the next letter.
Letter 2.
Sweet heart
I
love you. I would do anything to keep
you safe. Your father and his Centrix family want to find you. They are very bank people. They will force
you to do things that you do not want to do; that’s why I kept you from them.
11. I didn’t want you to get hurt or be used against your will. Remember, your father will stop at nothing to
find you. It’s imperative that he not find you until after your 18th
birthday because only then will he have no claim on you. He won’t be able to force you to do anything
you don’t want to. He wants you because
you will have abilities, special abilities.
They won’t start to surface until about a month after your 17th
birthday. K45634. You’re a very special girl Anastasia, and you’re far more
important than me. I need for you to
live and be free; I want you to be able to travel and to be able to enjoy your
life. Learn as much as you can, and please stay in school. South. Take care of Stacy for me, she’s a good
friend. Main . Stay happy, don’t be sad, I’ll
always be watching over you. Remember
that you have lots of people watching over you even if you can’t see them. You’re safe for now, but if the time comes
when your father finds you again read the next letter.
I love you and
I’ve done my best to keep you safe. I’m sorry that I can’t be with you now. I
hope that you’ll be able to forgive me.
My
sweet beautiful girl
you
are my heart
you
are my life
I
love you
Mom
Letter 3.
Anastasia,
I’m
so sorry that you have to do this again I was hoping that you would have some
stability for a while. Well, I have come
up with two options for you. I’m so sorry honey. You need to go online and buy tickets going
to somewhere in South America, California and Australia. Okay, Option 1: take a
bus to Phoenix Arizona. Do you remember that long drive to Montana? It took Miles to get to the City. Sorry, back
on topic. Take a plane to Seattle and
once there buy a ticket back to New York and one to Alaska. Get on the Grey Hound bus to Vancouver. You must use your real name for travelling in
Canada, no more wigs, dyeing your hair or coloured contact lenses to hide your
eyes. Once you use your real name you’re
going to have to stop hiding, that’s the end of running. K66541. You’ll have to
figure out who you are, and no more pretending, you’re going to go to
Huntsville by bus. Okay, Option 2: go to the warehouse on Water Street and use
the orange and pink key. If Stacey did as I instructed you’ll have no problems
with the bike. Take as straight a route
as possible North then back track a bit, if you have to go through a different
province to get there, do it. Make sure
you are not followed and remember to cancel your bank accounts before you leave
the states. Your godfather will know what to do when he sees the letter. First
Interstate. You have someone watching you at all times, don’t bother looking
around, you won’t know who they are. Just
know that your godfather has been protecting us for years. His name is James Madley. Don’t worry, he’ll
protect you and your secret, so you are safe to trust him. His friends are powerful. When you get to James, give him the letter
and you can read my next letter on the bus.
My
sweet beautiful girl
you
are my heart
you
are my life
I
love you
Mom
Letter 4.
Anastasia,
Well,
I guess I need to explain about your father some more. I met your father like I told you before and
we were married quickly. I loved him, I love him still, but I found out that
when I stayed with them one weekend on a visit to meet the family, they had taken
my hair and had it tested for something. I’m not sure what, but that was the
only reason why he was permitted to marry me.
I think he loved me, at least I hope he did. Another time I was reading in the library,
and no one knew that I was there. I overheard a conversation your father was
having with his grandmother. Something
to do with a legend called the Rising Starr.
She was angry that we hadn’t gotten pregnant yet, and said that we were
wasting time, that his only priority was a child to fulfil the prophecy. I was
disgusted by the tone of her voice and the implications behind it. So I started
searching for this Rising Starr legend. I found it and once I read it I new I
could never allow this family to have control of such a being. I was very
careful, but they got impatient, and they sent me to doctors and specialists to
figure out why I hadn’t yet conceived.
It had been 5 years and Enrique and I had one night together where I had
forgotten to take precautions. The next day our marriage was annulled by the
family and I was given a very large sum of money to go away. I came back to Canada and worked in a local
hospital in one of the critical care areas.
I didn’t need to work but when I found out that I was pregnant, well
Pine Bluff, I started hiding the money they gave me in accounts to the South where
it would be difficult to trace. I went
to your godfather and told him everything.
He helped me to hide the pregnancy and a portion of the money; he
doesn’t know how much we have. You don’t even know how much we have. You are only aware of three accounts. There
are more, but now is not the time for you to have access to them. I wish this
could be easy for you like when we were in Arkansas, but I know that you are
strong. I know that you’ll figure out a way to Barrow time. 605. You can do
this. Stay strong, stay focussed.
Remember you’re
protected. You’re being watched at all times, and you are free from disguises
now.
You are my
daughter. Fight for freedom, fight for you, and above everything, fight! I wish
I could be with you
My
sweet beautiful girl
you
are my heart
you
are my life
I
love you
Mom
“Well that’s everything. Let’s see what we’ve got,” I said quietly.
Lizzy handed me the page she had been writing on.
Centrix First
Interstate 605 Barrow
K45634 K66541
“Looks like I’m going on a little trip.” I
smiled as I glanced over the list.
“What’s that?” I heard Alex ask from the
doorway.
“I need to go back to the States. Want to
come?”I asked looking into his gorgeous eyes.
“I think you’re going to have to do a bit more
explaining before he explodes,” Lizzy giggled
“Can’t you just do the Vulcan mind meld thingy
so I don’t have to?” I asked hopefully.
“I think you’re going to have to explain it to
everyone this time,” Lizzy said smiling at me as the others came into the
room. I rolled my eyes at her and sighed
dramatically.
“You’ve been busy,” James said as he surveyed the
mess on the floor.
“I have to go on another trip to the
States. I’ve been wondering about these
keys and things in my mother’s letters that didn’t make sense. With Lizzy’s help we came up with this.” I
showed them the sheet of paper with all the information from the letters on it.
“Are you sure about this?” Max asked.
“I’ve never been to any of those places with my
mother, so I know this is what I need to do.
She’s left me things, more clues possibly, to help me. I have to do this.” I said looking earnestly
at Max and James.
“Alright but Alex, George and Cassy will go
with you. I need Lizzy and Will here to help set things up for the memorial
once we have the date,” Max replied.
Lizzy’s shoulders dropped and as she started to pout.
“I want to go too,” she demanded.
“No, Lizzy. Stop acting like a four year old or I’ll start
treating you like one.” Max gave her a fatherly look. It was the; don’t mess with me, or you are
toast look. I had to smile as she
conceded.
“But you just got back,” she wined to me.
“I promise that I’ll stay here for at least a
week or so. That way we have time to plan the trip so that we are not gone
long. Is that fair?” I looked at her fondly,
it was hard to believe that she was 126 years old when she acted like this. She nodded, still pouting.
“Dinner is almost ready, so don’t go too
far. Lizzy, Anna, could you please set
the table and clean up that mess?” Katie asked politely.
I quickly put my mother’s letters back into the black backpack, folded
the map up, grabbed the keys and put everything back into place. I took the backpack back to Alex’s room and
then returned to the kitchen to help set the table for dinner.
Alex stood in the doorway watching my every movement with a soft,
thoughtful look in his eyes. I saw Katie smile to herself as she glanced at Alex and then to me. She was happy, I could see that, but I still
wondered what she was thinking.
We all sat down, those of us who were eating, for a simple meal of salad
and lasagne. After dinner James hugged
me good bye and promised to come over in a few days to see the plans we made
for our trip.
“What would you like to do tonight?” Alex
whispered in my ear. Sending shivers up
my spine. I was standing at the counter
handing Katie a dish that I almost dropped because of him.
“Alex, leave the poor girl alone. We are trying to clear table and you know she
can’t concentrate when you use your talents on her.” Katie smirked as I blushed
crimson. Alex just laughed and put his
arms around my waist so that I couldn’t move.
“Well?” he breathed with a hint of melody in
his voice which made me feel like Jell-O.
My knees got all weak and I was really having a hard time finding my
words; Alex hadn’t done this to me for a very long time.
“Movie,” I managed to squeak out as he chuckled
softly removing himself from the room. I
had to grab the counter to stop from falling to the floor. Katie shook her head with an amused look on
her face.
“He’ll never change,” she said quietly.
I looked at her quizzically.
“He used to do that to girls at the parties we
would hold just to see their reaction. He
did that to you all the time in the beginning didn’t he?” she asked.
“Yes, although he just had to look at me to get
me to swoon. It’s rather embarrassing to
be honest.” I watched my hands shaking as I responded.
“That’s why he does it. He enjoys teasing you
far too much. Don’t let that get out of
hand! When your abilities are in full
force I hope you give him a taste of his own medicine; although you did do that
a bit at the pool party with the bikini,” Katie winked. “I really think he
needs a healthy dose of his own medicine.” she replied with a mischievous glint
in her eyes.
“I’ll see what I can do,” I laughed as I
finally got my composure back.
“Just make sure that I’m there to witness it,”
she smiled.
“I promise,” I said smiling back at her.
I handed her the last dish and put away a few items before I went to the
family room to curl up on the couch with Alex.
“So what movie would you like to watch?” he asked
grinning at me as I snuggled up to him. “Hmmm…..something
fun,” I answered.
“Lizzy, any suggestions?”
“I was thinking about a late night swim. Anyone want to come?” she asked smiling.
“Now I like the sound of that.” I grinned and
jumped up to get changed. Lizzy and I raced
down the hall and we each ran into our rooms.
I put on my red bikini and grabbed a towel from the hall closet and
joined Lizzy, who was wearing a blue bikini, in her room. Will and Alex were walking down the hall
towards us when Alex stopped in his tracks with his mouth open as Lizzy and I emerged
from her room. I smirked as I sidled up
to Alex and kissed his cheek. I traced a
finger down his chest which made him shiver deliciously and look at me, his
eyes hooded. I smirked again and was
just going in for another kiss as Lizzy and Will burst out laughing.
“Don’t be long,” I teased as I brushed past him
moving down the hall to the kitchen.
Lizzy followed me trying to stifle her laughter.
“Anna, you’re so bad. I love it! I haven’t seen Alex get a taste of
his own medicine in a while. That was
fantastic!”
“I was just getting even for the kitchen,” I grinned
at her.
We ran to the pool because we wanted to get there before the guys. Lizzy popped into the pool house and turned
the pool lights on while I slowly entered the water. Lizzy suddenly jumped in with a splash completely
soaking me. That meant war and a splash fight commenced as the guys walked onto
the pool patio. Will and Alex watched us
with their heads cocked to one side, grinning.
Lizzy’s eyes glinted as she leaned forward and whispered into my ear.
“Do the ‘hot chick coming out of the pool’ move
you see in movies all the time,” I nodded and dove into the water, heading for
the stairs. As I surfaced, I stood up
and slowly emerged from the water taking one stair at a time. I tried to look coyly at Alex and move alluringly
as possible. I’m pretty sure it worked
since Alex stood transfixed in front of me.
I continued walking slowly towards Alex until I stood directly in front
of him. Then I placed my hands flat on
his chest, looked into his eyes as I raised up on my toes to whisper in his
ear.
“So,” I breathed. “How does it feel?” Then I
brushed my lips softly along his jaw line.
“If you don’t stop that, I’m going to take
advantage of you,” he groaned. I slipped
my arms around his neck.
“What’s wrong Alex?” I asked innocently as I
pressed myself against him.
“You are driving me crazy. I haven’t seen you in a week, then I think I’m
never going to see you again. I was
expecting the worst when I went to see you at James’ place and now what do you
do? You unleash the power of your
feminine whiles on me. How am I supposed
to keep you honest when you do things like this?” he growled playfully.
Lizzy and Will were laughing in the pool. They were thoroughly amused by Alex’s
reaction to my toying with him. He suddenly
swung me up into his arms and jumped into the pool.
“Feel better now that you’ve cooled off?” Will teased.
“Not really! Does Lizzy drive you insane all
the time?” he asked baffled.
“Lizzy is very good at driving me insane, yes,
but I’ve learned how to hide those reactions. Most of the time it works, but
there are times when she gets the better of me,” Will explained, placing a
knowing hand on Alex’s shoulder.
“Anna, you’re under age. You had better behave yourself. I intend to keep you virtuous, so please
stop. I’m not sure I can control myself
when you act like this,” Alex said eyeing me hungrily. I smiled sweetly as I put my arms behind my
back and looked at him innocently.
“I don’t know what you’re talking about”
“Arhhh” he exclaimed throwing his arms up in
the air in frustration.
“Anna, you’re diabolic. I’ve never seen him this mind boggled,” Lizzy
giggled.
“I’ve got to get you to do this more often. It’s hilarious to watch,” Will mused punching
Alex in the shoulder.
I giggled and dove into the water. I swam to the far end of the pool enjoying
the feel of the cool water against my skin.
I was going to swim a few laps but that didn’t happen. As I began to
swim back, Alex grabbed my foot and pulled me under. I tried to get away, but, like last time, it
was impossible. He twisted me around so
that I was facing him and slipped his arm around my waist pulling me close to
his chest. He placed his other hand at
the base of my neck, and slowly pulled me close. His soft lips brushed mine as I laced my
fingers into his hair and pulled him closer.
He kissed me urgently and I responded, melting into him; our bodies
fitting together like two puzzle pieces. I finally pulled away so that I could surface
for air. I was feeling dizzy so Alex put
an arm around my waist and held me above the water until I felt okay.
“Anna, how are you feeling?” he asked.
“Just a bit dizzy. I need to breathe more than
you do apparently,” I sighed.
He towed me to the shallow end so I could stand.
“Hey, what’s up Anna?” Will said concerned.
“Apparently, I need more oxygen than you do,” I
replied smiling weakly at Will and Lizzy.
“How long were you under?” Lizzy asked.
“Only about a minute,” Alex replied.
“Anna, you don’t look so good.” Will said
quietly, studying my face.
“I’ll be fine, just give me a minute. I haven’t been eating all that great, so
that’s probably it.” I smiled reassuringly at them.
“How are you feeling right now?” Alex asked.
“I’m not sure. I kind of want a steak to be honest,” I looked
at him confused.
“Okay,” he drawled with raised eyebrows.
“You asked,” I replied to his reaction.
“I think I’m going to take you to bed. You are getting all weird on me.” Alex swung
me up into his arms and walked out of the pool.
He grabbed towels for us as he headed for the house. Lizzy and Will stayed in the pool.
Alex set me down when we got to his room. I slipped into the bathroom and changed into pyjamas,
a cute t-shirt and shorts set. I looked in
the mirror and I was a bit pale, but I felt fine. I brushed my teeth and washed my face, then I
went to lie down. Alex had already
changed for bed and he watched my every move as I crawled under the covers. I
inhaled deeply, enjoying his light scent.
“Why do you do that?” he asked.
“I like the way you smell.” I smiled softly
looking into his eyes.
“Oh, I forgot about that. It’s almost like a drug to humans,” he smiled.
“So that’s why I fell asleep so quickly when I
was in the car with the girls on our way home from Toronto.” I recalled.
“Katie probably did that. You needed the rest at the time.” I nodded in
agreement.
Alex went into the washroom for a few minutes
and then laid down beside me on top of the covers. I curled into him and rested my head on his
chest, sighing contentedly. Alex smiled
happily as he ran his fingers through my hair until I fell asleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment