Tuesday, 17 October 2017

Chapter 39


                                                 Chapter 39: George
 
The morning came too soon; it felt like I had only slept an hour or two.  Alex was at the computer working on something, and I could hear music softly playing in the background.
“What time is it?” I asked sleepily.
“It’s about ten. How are you feeling?” he eyed me slowly.
“I feel like I’ve hardly slept all night. I must have been tossing a lot,” I answered as I did a quick self assessment.
“I think you were having a nightmare.  You were all over the place and you scared me when you sat up with your eyes open at three in the morning.  I thought you were awake but you just mumbled something incoherently and then went back to sleep.  It was very bizarre.” he recounted.
“Sorry about that.” I sat up and ran my fingers through my hair.  I stopped and frowned at my hand for a second; it was weird I could have sworn I saw the colour of my skin change to a greyish green.  I shook my head, dismissing the strangeness as a trick of the light.
 
It was hard to believe that so much happened yesterday.  I mused as I made my way to the kitchen.  George was channel surfing in the family room when I sat across from him eating my toast.  I knew he was my protector and I always felt safe around him even when he wasn’t visible, but I really didn’t know him that well.  I remembered two pictures from my childhood that were destroyed in New York, and if I remembered right he was in one of them, and his brother was in one too.
“What’s on your mind, Anna?” George asked politely.
“I was just thinking, how long have you actually been watching over me?  I mean, it’s been longer than I realize isn’t it?” I looked at him curiously.
“Why do you ask?”
“Well, I could swear that I’ve seen you and your brother several times as I was growing up, but you were always on the side-lines.  I had a few pictures and I swear you’re in some and so was Stephan.” I said watching his reaction.
“I guess we didn’t stay quite hidden enough,” George smiled wryly. “Stephan and I have been watching you since you were born.  We would take turns over the years, always making sure that you were safe but we didn’t interfere unless it was absolutely necessary.  You see Anna, your mother trusted James, but not us, and she was right not to allow us to get too close.  You are very tempting to vampires, even if we don’t act like the typical stereotype,” he explained.  I thought about what he had said and, because I wanted to understand George better I asked: “Is that why you let me be because you know me better than the others?”
“I think I know what you’re getting at.” George replied. “I think of you as a little sister, and so does Stephan.  Probably because we watched you grow up and we saw firsthand how strong you are, and how determined you are. Yes, you can take care of yourself, but you need a shoulder to lean on every now and then too.  We couldn’t do that for you, it wasn’t permitted, but believe me we both wanted to be that shoulder.  We were only permitted to stay in the background.  When your mother died I wanted nothing more than to bring you here to live with us but James said no, there were contingency plans in place for your safety.  Stephan and I were only to intervene if your father had managed to spot you but he didn’t, so we followed you to New York, and then here.  Although, it seems that Alex did more than he was supposed to on that trip to New York.  He really changed after spending those few days with you.  Stephan and I never told anyone that he had made contact with you.” George smiled softly and continued. “Stephan and I would take turns being your guardian every other month.  He remembers the first time you walked and sang.  I remember your first words and many of your first days of school.  You hated being the new kid and you usually did a good job of hiding except with the street running.  Even though you wore a disguise, you still made quite a name for yourself.  Cassy and Lizzy would constantly ask us questions about you while you were growing up.  That’s why they also think of you as a sister; they know almost as much about you as I do,” he smiled softly.
“What about Alex, though?” I asked.
“What about me?” Alex asked leaning on the wall behind me with a quizzical expression on his face.  George smiled mischievously at him.
“Alex didn’t believe me when I spoke of you.  He always thought I was embellishing,” George said as he smiled broadly.
“Well, I had to see her for myself.  You’re biased.  You’ve watched her her whole life, as if I could believe what you said,” Alex retorted as he watched my face for a reaction.
“I told you she was beautiful and independent, but you wouldn’t believe me until you actually saw her at the gas station the day that she arrived.  Plus, you didn’t realize how fiercely independent she was until the Halloween party we had.  She certainly put you in your place that night.  It was hilarious.  I love it when she teases you, it kind of gives you a taste of your own medicine.  It’s actually quite refreshing to watch you two.” George stood up and stretched.  He reached over and ruffled my hair, grinning.
“Don’t let Alex pick on you too much, Anna.  He might be like a brother to me, but if you need me to I’ll knock him down a peg or two,” he winked.
I smiled up at him. “I’ll keep that in mind. Oh, and we need to plan the trip to the States.” I looked at him determined to start planning.
“No problem kiddo.  We’ll do that when I get back.” George started to head for the door.
“Where are you going?” I asked realizing too late that it wasn’t any of my business.
“I have to get something for Cassy, I’ll see you in a few hours,” he winked and was gone.
“So what is all the curiosity about?” Alex asked sitting down next to me.
“Well, I don’t really see George and Stephan all that much but I feel like I know them.  I didn’t fully understand until George explained things a bit more.  I didn’t realize that he and his brother had been watching me since I was born,” I said quietly.
“Cassy was happier when you lived in Toronto, that way she could see you and George regularly.  Lizzy and Will were in school up north and I was in no state of mind to deal with a toddler or their silly assignment.  I didn’t believe the stories until I actually met you.  You have a mysterious air about you, Anna.  You don’t let people get very close to you and you hinted at a life that was strange for most of our peers in school to understand.  They don’t relate well to you because you are mature beyond your years, likely because you were forced to grow up quickly just to survive.  You’re very patient, kind hearted, stubborn and sure of yourself-well, most of the time anyway,” he smirked.  I looked at him curiously as he never really said what it was he liked about me before.
“So you’re okay with the fact that I’m independent, that I can think for myself?” I asked
“I love that about you.  That’s what fascinates me, you don’t play the silly games the other girls your age play.  You decide what you want and you go after it, even if you hesitate at first.  You don’t let things hold you back, and from what George and Stephan have said, you don’t give up.  With everything you are dealing with you never seem to let it really get to you.  You may freak out once in a while but you always take charge and get things done no matter how tough things seem to be,” Alex smiled softly at me as he brushed my hair behind my ear.
“It’s nice to know how you feel.  You do show me sometimes but you mostly keep things to yourself.  I’m glad I have your strength to count on.” I said looking into his eyes briefly before resting my head on his shoulder.  I just wanted to sit quietly with him, even if it was only for a few minutes.  I knew Lizzy would be on the prowl soon wondering what I was doing and making sure I didn’t sneak away again.  I had to smile to myself at the thought that Lizzy was the best friend anyone could wish to have, and I knew I was lucky to have such a wonderful and strange family in my life.  I was happy, I realized.  Really happy.
“Anna, how are you feeling this morning? You’re looking much better than last night,” Lizzy commented.
“I’m feeling much better, thanks.  I think it must have been sensory overload or something.  I haven’t had any down time and I guess I need a break.  I also have to plan my next trip because I want to get it over with so I can spend more time here with everyone,” I said quietly.
“Anna, I wish you would just stay here.  I don’t want you to go away again because I miss you dreadfully when you’re gone. It’s not fair that Alex, George and Cassy get to go and I get stuck here,” Lizzy pouted.
“I promise to try and make it a quick trip.  I don’t want to be gone longer than a week.” I looked at her kindly.
“I know, it’s just it feels wrong when you are gone,” she replied.  I knew exactly how she felt.  The rest of the family walked into the room with George following behind them holding a map.  The plan was for everyone to help with the planning of my trip to the States.  Katie sat in the corner of the room and watched me concerned.
“What is it Katie?  Is something wrong?” I asked.
“No, dear, nothing is wrong.  I’m just concerned about the trip you are planning,” she replied solemnly.
“I promise we won’t be gone long. Which means we could cover three cities in a week.  We could fly to each city and then home.  I don’t want to be gone for very long either.  Do you think it’s possible to do it that quickly George?” I asked.
“Yes, we could fly to New Hampshire first and then Montana, and then Arkansas and then home from there,” he replied. “It should only take about three, maybe four, days to complete the trip.  If we are efficient it could take us even less time.  Anna, I know you would rather be here, but you’re going to have to use a different name for travelling and you’ll have to disguise yourself again like you used to,” George stated matter of factly.  I nodded, I knew the drill I had everything that I needed.  I always kept a bag ready just in case.
“Lizzy, you’re going to have to dress and act like Anna.  Do you think you can handle that?” Max asked.
“Yes, of course.  Why?” she asked.
“You’ll be going to the school for an assembly because Anna needs to be seen.  Will and Stephan will be with you, and Stephan will go as Alex since Anna and Alex are usually seen together.  Katie and I will also attend as chaperones.  And remember, this charade will have to go off without a hitch.” Max explained.
“Anna, Alex, George, Cassy, I want you back here as quickly as possible.  I don’t want Anna’s father to realize that she isn’t here.” He turned to George, “Have you decided when you’re leaving George?”
           “We will leave in the morning.  I’ll be flying us to our destinations in the CATIA V5, that way we can get in and out as quickly as possible.  We will have to spend a night or two in the US, but we shouldn’t be gone long; and if we time things right we can hit two places in the first day.” George turned to face us with a serious expression on his face.  “That means you all have your work cut out for you.  You can only bring a back pack with one or two changes of clothes.  There will be no time to shop, this is strictly a salvage mission.  Does everyone understand?”
“Thank you George, and everyone.  You don’t know how much this means to me, that all of you are so willing to help me.  I am truly grateful.” I looked into Georges’ eyes with a small smile.
“You’re like a sister to me Anna, and I won’t let anything happen to you on my watch.  You are family,” George stated matter of factly.
“It feels like home here, and I’ve never had a place I could call home.  You are like a family to me too.” I looked at my feet trying not to cry or say anything too stupid.  Katie put her arms around me and hugged me gently. 
“I’ll help you get things together for tomorrow.  Alex and George need to plan a bit more.  You’ll need yours and your mother’s ID to get the information from the banks.” She took my hand and led me back to Alex’s room. 
“Are you okay dear?” she asked quietly.
“I’m not sure Katie.  I’ve been feeling strange lately and having weird cravings that I don’t understand.  I guess it could be PMS, but it’s too early for that.  I’m feel tired and not sleeping well, like when I first started having nightmares back in September.  I’m worried that I’m changing and I won’t be myself anymore.” I looked into her eyes solemnly.  “I’m scared Katie, and I don’t want the twins to know how scared I really am.  I’m trying to put on a brave face, but I don’t know how long I’ll be able to do that.  George can see me cracking, that’s why he wants this trip to be done so fast.  He wants me here where everyone can keep an eye on me.” I looked down at my hands and sighed deeply.
“Anna, you’re more perceptive than most people. You know that we care for you as if you were one of our own children.  Let me look into what you are experiencing; please tell me what your cravings are exactly?” she questioned.
“I want rare steak all the time, and I usually only want that when I have my period.  I know it means that I’m low in iron, but why would that be happening now?  My period shouldn’t start for another week and a half and my dreams are getting more vivid every day and they scare me Katie, they really scare me.  I hurt people in them; I see myself ripping people apart and I don’t understand why.” My voice was weak and full of fear.  Katie put a consoling arm around my shoulders and looked at me critically.
“I think you are changing Anna, but that change started a long time ago, and it is now nearing completion.  Your mind was the first thing to change, and now your body appears to be changing as well.  However, what that change is, I do not know.  Until we get the information your mother left for you we may not know what exactly is happening until August.  Your birthday is just over six weeks away, so we don’t have that much time to figure things out, but I believe things will work out as they were meant to.  I believe you will do the right thing for us and for yourself,” Katie said in a motherly tone.
“Thank you for listening and believing in me,” I smiled gratefully at her
“Let’s find everything you need for your whirlwind trip.” she smiled softly, watching my every move and assessing everything I did.  I knew she would do this until my battle was over.  It was a bit unnerving but also strangely comforting because I knew she would see things that I wouldn’t.
            I gathered a change of clothes and my travel bag of toiletries and put them in my backpack.  I then went into the closet and grabbed the suit case full of wigs and other accessories that I would need.  I pulled out a red and brown wig and a set of brown contact lenses and shuffled through my pass ports deciding which character I would play to get across the border.  I decided to become Alia Stevens, a name I hadn’t used since I was a little girl; she had red hair and brown eyes and I knew I could easily become her; I would do what was needed, just like always.  I gathered up the letters and keys from my mother and placed them into the backpack as Katie chose a simple outfit for me to wear in the morning.  It only took a couple of hours to get everything ready, the rest of the afternoon we relaxed in front of the TV.    

No comments:

Post a Comment