Wednesday, 1 November 2017

Chapter 40


Chapter 40: Trip
 
“Anna, it’s time to get up, you need to get ready.” Alex murmured into my ear around five thirty in the morning.
“Okay,” I replied sleepily.  I dragged myself into the shower to wake myself up and get ready for what I knew would be a whirlwind of a day.
“Alex, where are you?” I asked as I entered the empty room.  I had already gotten dressed and put on the wig and contacts.  I looked around; it was like he had vanished.  He usually waited for me and we would go to the kitchen together.  I frowned trying to get rid of the strange feeling in the pit of my stomach.
“Anna, you look great.  I wouldn’t have believed that was you.” Lizzy said smiling as she looked in the door.
“Thanks.  Where is Alex?   He usually waits for me,” I asked quietly.
“He took your bag and his to the car.  You need to hurry, they’re almost ready to leave,” she said as she gave me a quick hug.
I grabbed my slouch pouch with my wallet and passports and followed Lizzy to the kitchen where a bowl of cereal waited for me on the table.  I ate quickly and ran back to the washroom to brush my teeth again; looking in the mirror, I scrutinized my appearance.
“You’re Alia Stevens now.  That’s all you need to remember.  You were born September tenth 1991,” I said aloud to myself.  I nodded and made my way out to the car where the others waited for me.
 
We arrived at a small airport just outside Huntsville; George parked the car and we climbed out grabbing our bags before we headed to the hanger.  Once we were at the hanger George stored our bags at the back of the plane.  He then spoke quietly to a man wearing dirty jeans and a grease stained sweater.  The man went to the hanger doors and opened them, then he spoke to George for a moment.  George handed him our flight plan, the man nodded, and we got into the plane. 
It was small and cramped inside as it was really only meant for two people so the guys sat in the front while, Cassy and I sat in the back because we were smaller. Thankfully our flight wasn’t very long; we reached New Hampshire by nine in the morning.  George had arranged a rental car and it was waiting for us when we landed.
“What’s the address we need to go to?” George asked as he concentrated on driving.
“11 South Main Street.  We shouldn’t be long I hope,” I replied. “How long will it take us to get to Montana?”
“A few hours, maybe more depending on the wind speed.  Do you know what to do when you get to the bank?” George asked me seriously.
“Yes, I believe so.  Will you come in with me?”
“Do you honestly think I would let you go in there without backup?  Cassy will be in the driver’s seat and Alex will be look out while we’re inside.  I’m also hoping we’ll be in and out rather quickly.”
“Thanks George.” I said quietly.  He looked at me through the rear-view mirror, his concern evident.  He knew I was nervous and that I was trying to hide it.
 
We arrived at the bank twenty minutes after we landed.  George and I got out of the car and entered the bank.
“May I help you?” a pretty receptionist asked.
“Yes I need to open my mother’s safe deposit box please.” I replied.
“Do you have your key and identification?”
“Yes, I brought my mother’s death certificate too in case you need to see that as well.”
“Just one moment, I’ll get the manager,” she smiled.  I nodded and waited patiently.
A tall, pleasant looking man in his mid forties returned with the receptionist. 
“Hello, I’m John Mitchem.  I’ll take you to your safe deposit box.” He gestured at me to follow him.
“Do you have identification with you?” he asked as we walked.
“Yes, I do,” I said handing him the passport with my real name and my mother’s death certificate.  I had taken off the red wig and left it in the car, but I hadn’t removed the contacts.  He looked over my paperwork as we entered the vault, then nodded and handed my papers back to me.
“Do you have your key?” he asked with a friendly smile.
Nodding, I held up my key. The room we walked into was cool and three wall were lined with silver metal boxes.  He stopped in front of a row of boxes and placed his key into a slot, motioning me to do the same.
“On the count of three turn your key to the right,” John instructed.  I nodded my understanding.  He counted, we turned our keys on three and John slid the box out and placed it on one of the small tables in the room.
“I’ll be right here if you have any questions,” he stated retreating to give me privacy.
“Thank you.”  My throat tight, I opened the box slowly and looked inside.  All the bittersweet memories crashed around me and I felt tears surfacing again.  George put a hand on my shoulder, giving me a reassuring squeeze.  I picked up a small package wrapped in brown paper and a large envelope with my name on it.  I checked all sides of the box carefully to make sure that my mother hadn’t taped anything to the sides where I couldn’t see.  She used to do that when she was hiding things, but there was nothing.  I closed the box and took the items out of the room with me.  I looked at the manager sadly, “Thank you, I won’t be needing this box anymore.”
“Will you be closing her account today as well?”
“Yes, I don’t plan on being in the area for awhile,” I replied quietly as we walked.
“May I ask who the gentleman with you is?” he asked curiously.
“He’s my guardian’s son.  He’s like a brother to me and he knew I would have a hard time with this so he came to be my support.” I could feel the tears ready to spill over at any moment.  Mr. Mitchem led me to an office and motioned for George and I to have a seat.
“I remember when your mother first came here; I was a teller then.  She was very beautiful, not someone you would forget easily.” He smiled wistfully.  “You look a lot like her. I’m sorry to hear that she passed away.  May I ask what happened?”  I looked at the floor as I answered him.
“She was murdered a few years ago.  I wasn’t old enough to deal with some of the things that needed to be done, so I had to wait until I was ready.  I’m honestly not sure I’m ready to see what she’s left me, but I miss her and this is the only thing I might have left of her.” I couldn’t stop the tears from spilling over.  John handed me a tissue box, I quietly thanked him and took one and wiped my eyes.
“I’m truly sorry for your loss.  Did they ever find the killer?” he asked as he was typing on the computer.
“No.  I call every few months for an update, but they still haven’t found anything,” I choked.  He nodded sadly.
“I’m truly sorry for these unfortunate circumstances.  If you’ll excuse me for a moment I’ll be right back with your cheque.” He got up graciously and exited the office.
“Anna, you didn’t have to tell him the truth you know,” George said quietly.
“I know, but I don’t care who knows any more.  She was murdered, and I’m not going to hide that information anymore.” I said determinedly.  He nodded in understanding.
Mr. Mitchem returned a few minutes later and handed me the cheque.  I took it from him and folded it without bothering to look before placing it in my pocket.  I gracefully rose from my seat, shook his hand and turned to leave the office.
“Take care of yourself miss.” he said.
“Thank you.  You have a good day too, Mr. Mitchem,” I replied quietly.  George put his arm around my shoulders and looked at me with concern as we walked out of Mr. Mitchem’s office.
“Are you okay kiddo?  Do you want to sit for a minute? There’s no hurry.” I looked into his worried eyes and smiled slightly.
“I’ll be okay.  Can you just take me home? I don’t think I can handle going anywhere else today,” I admitted as we left the bank.
“Of course,” George smiled reassuringly.  We walked slowly to the car and he opened the front passenger door for me so that I could get in.  I hadn’t even seen Cassy move to the back seat, George must have given her a signal because she and Alex were sitting in the back.
“He’s still watching us,” George said quietly.  I put my hands to my face and leaned on George’s shoulder, something that I had never done before, but it felt safe, and like the right thing to do at this time.  George wrapped his arm protectively around me as he started the care and backed slowly out of the parking spot and left the parking lot. 
As soon as we were safely down the street I sat up and ran my hands over the packages on my lap.
“You’re very good at subterfuge, you know.” George smiled proudly at me.  “You don’t have to open those now Anna, it can wait.  We’ll be back at the airport and on our way in about half an hour.” 
I nodded, not saying a word.  Alex reached around from the back seat giving me a kind of hug.  I sighed in gratitude and placed a hand on his strong forearm.  
 
Once we reached the airport and our plane, I stored the large envelope and package in my backpack with the letters from my mother.  We were in the air and headed for Montana within an hour.  I sat staring out the window, thinking about everything; I didn’t want to talk.  Cassy held my hand comfortingly; I liked being with her because she always let me figure things out before interrupting my thoughts.
“Are you okay Anna?” she asked quietly.
“Yes. I didn’t think this would be so hard.  I’m going to be pretty tired when all this is done.” I looked at her sadly.
She nodded in understanding and Alex turned to watch me for a few minutes, the love and concern evident in his eyes.
“We’ll arrive in about half an hour and we should easily make it to the bank before it closes.  Are you sure you’re up for this?” Alex asked watching my face.
“Yes, let’s just get it done.  I don’t think I’ll be able to do much else after this though, and I’d like to see what’s in these packages.” I looked into his concerned eyes and gave him a floppy smile.  He knew I was doing my best and I knew they were all there to support me.  He nodded and turned to the front of the plane again.
We landed just outside Miles City, Montana around two in the afternoon.  I hadn’t eaten much and my stomach started to protest, but we didn’t have time to stop yet.  George changed his jacket and put on a hat and sunglasses.  It had been cloudy in New Hampshire, but it was sunny here so he needed to cover up so that he wasn’t a distraction.  Another car was waiting for us here. It had dark tinted windows and just looked sleek and powerful.  I saw the insignia on the front of the car as we walked towards it and realized it was a Mercedes Benz. I whistled softly.  Alex and George shared a glance and chuckled at my reaction to the car.
“We’ll get something to eat after we’re finished at the bank.  I’ve booked us a room at the Holiday Inn,” George informed us.
“We’re heading to 1115 Main Street to the First Interstate Bank,” I said looking out the window at the scenery whizzing by.  I didn’t feel like talking anymore.  I was on my last mission to find what little was left of my mother.  The packages and letters she left for me were all that I had left of the amazing person I missed so much.
The second bank was pretty much the same as the first except this time I found three letters addressed to me, one to James, and a small black book.  I closed the account my mother had there and placed another cashier’s check in my pocket without looking at it first.  I didn’t want to know how much money it was for, that was not at all important to me when I was dealing with such a profound sense of loss. 
We went to the Holiday Inn and checked into our rooms.  I opened the sliding door so that I could let the evening breeze cool the room down.  I pulled out all of the things that I collected from the two banks and laid it out on the bed around me.  I looked at the envelopes the first one said “Anastasia open immediately,” the second read “Anastasia open on your wedding day,” and the third said “Anastasia open when your first child is born.”  My heart ached and I had tears in my eyes.  She had thought of everything.  I couldn’t believe it, I would get to read her advice at least two more times after I read this letter. 
Smiling sadly, I slowly opened the envelope and took out the sheet of paper inside.  I inhaled deeply, it even smelled like her!  I would never forget her scent of jasmine and roses.  It was my favourite smell, floral, with a soft, rich, sensual aroma.  I sighed quietly and smiled to myself.  I always pictured her with her hair down blowing in the wind, her pale blue eyes sparkling with excitement as we walked together to our standing lunch date, every Wednesday afternoon.  I looked at her hand writing, recognizing it as the same neat scrawl that I missed so much.  As I read her letter I heard her voice in my head once again.  I missed that voice so much, so I re-read her letter, this time more slowly:
 
Anastasia
Sweetheart I know you’re scared traveling all over the place collecting
the items that I’ve left for you.  I guess I need to explain a few things.  First, as you know, you
 are the Rising Star.  In the black book you will find a copy of my DNA profile as
 well as your father’s.  We both have a dormant version of a particular virus or         
 something like that.  I didn’t have time for proper scientific explanations when I received
this.  What I’ve learned is that my dormant strain of the virus wakens when it comes
into contact with the strain your father has.  Beyond that I can tell you very little
 about the virus.  It has many names, I know it as the Starcrisless virus, or
 the Legacy virus, I don’t know the other names, perhaps James
can look into it.   Second, there is a list of all my accounts and account numbers
in the black book.  You were only aware of a few.  I have several accounts all over the world
as I was given a very large settlement when my marriage was annulled. I split the
money up with James’ help and we were living off the interest.  You have become a very
wealthy young lady, Anna.  Third, the package wrapped in brown mailing paper contains
some heirlooms that I wanted you to have.  Some of the items belonged to my
mother and the others I collected over the years.  I hope you enjoy them. Forth, the


large envelope has the only family pictures that I managed to save from my family
and there is one of your father’s family too.  I wrote all the names on the back
so that if you run across them you would be able to recognize them.  Finally,
when you go to the house there are some bags for you with other things I thought
that you might like.  There is also a clue for you there in the back of our favourite
book.  I know you’ll figure things out, you were always good at puzzles.  You
have a choice Anastasia, so choose wisely. Live life, be happy, stay strong,
find love, cherish those you care for and never give up hope.                                                                                  
My sweet beautiful girl
you are my heart
you are my life
I love you,
Mom
 
I didn’t realize that I was crying until Alex wiped the tears from my cheeks with a gentle brush of his fingers as I looked up into his beautifully vibrant emerald green eyes.  He smiled at me and softly stroked my cheek with the back of his hand.
“You okay?” he asked.
“Yes, I just miss her.” I replied solemnly.
“I’m here if you need me Anna, I’ll always be here for you,” Alex whispered.  I smiled and brushed the back of my hand across his cheek.
“I know.” I felt so much older in that moment than I really was. 
We ate a simple dinner at the diner across from the hotel and went to bed early.  George wanted to be in the air first thing in the morning. 
 
We arrived fifteen minutes outside Pine Bluff Arkansas around eight the next morning.  There was another black Mercedes Benz with tinted windows waiting for us there.  We drove it to 605 Barrow Drive, a small house with a white picket fence, just like in all the stories.  I walked up to the front door with Alex, Cassy, and George with me every step of the way.  Grateful for their support, I slowly unlocked the door and opened it.  I took a deep breath and walked into the small foyer. 
 
The house was pretty bare.  There was a utilitarian couch and TV in the front room, both coated with about an inch of dust.  The kitchen was small and just as dust covered; it looked as if no one had been inside the house in years.  I went upstairs to the bedroom and looked in the closet.  I found two black duffle bags in the back of the small closet exactly where my mother always put things for me to find.  She was always consistent, I had to give her that.  I smiled wistfully as I grabbed the bags and brought them down the stairs. George took them from me and carried them to the car.
“I just want to check the entire house over once and then we can go.  Is that okay?” I asked George from the doorway.
“Do whatever you need to do.  Your mother went to a lot of trouble to get you here. Check everything,” George replied.
“Alex, Cassy would you two check and see if there is a basement?  I want to see if there is anything else hidden away, and your senses are far better than mine,” I asked politely.  They nodded and went to search the main floor while I went back upstairs and searched each room.  There were only three rooms and all were empty, except one which had a shelf with two books on it.  I picked up the first book and read the title.  I was shocked that it was an original first edition copy of Sleeping Beauty.  My mom used to read this to me every day; I loved this story.  I looked at the other book and it was another favourite, Rush Cape.  It was also a first edition - these were priceless memories from my past.  I checked the rest of the room and the bathroom, but everything else was clear.  I made my way back downstairs and met Alex, Cassy and George at the base of the stairs.  I was holding the books up for them to see.
“Look what I found!  They’re my favourite stories, I thought we had lost them in one of our many moves.  Mom would read them to me all the time.” I smiled wistfully in remembrance. The next thing I knew, Alex was saying my name as Cassie looked on, a puzzled look on her face.
“What?  Oh sorry, did you say something?” I questioned, feeling slightly dazed.
“You completely zoned out there for a minute,” Alex said, touching my face reassuringly. “Anyway, we checked the rest of the house and didn’t find anything.  If you are ready, we should get going.  We should be able to make it home this afternoon and that way you can go through everything in a safe quiet place.” 
“Anna, we’ll go through everything together.” Cassy promised.  “We’ll all help you sort through everything,” Cassy was so sincere and gentle as she took my hand and pulled me towards the front door to leave.  I slipped, but caught myself at the last second, and when I looked up I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the glass of the door. It stopped me in my tracks; my skin was so ghostly pale and my eyes swirled almost like Alex and Cassy’s did.  My eyes widened and I started to skake.
“What’s wrong with me? Why do I look like this?” Fear rippled through my voice.
“I don’t know Anna, but we have to get you home, NOW.” George said urgently.  “Alex, carry her to the car we have to get in the air as soon as possible.  She’s changing faster than we anticipated and we need to get her to a safe place so we can figure out what’s going on with her.” Alex easily swung me into his arms and ran to the car, gently placing me in the back seat and strapping me in.  The entire time he didn’t take his eyes off me and slid in beside me, gathering me in his arms.  When we arrived at the airport Alex unbuckled my seat belt and carried me to the plane.  Once we were aboard he handed me a bottle of water.  I gratefully took a sip but started retching.  The water actually it felt strange in my mouth, and I knew it wasn’t what I wanted.  I wanted was steak, and the craving was almost overwhelming.
“I need steak, I want steak,” I whimpered weakly.
“Anna you couldn’t even handle a sip of water,” Cassy said worriedly.
“But I need steak…..I must be low in iron.  That has to be it.” I whispered.
“George, can you hypnotize her until we get home to help her get through the flight?” Cassy asked, looking at me with concern.
“Alex should do it.  She trusts him and he is very good at keeping her calm.” George replied.  Alex nodded.  He gathered me into his arms, so I was gazing up at him as he began to speak.
“Anna, rest now.  Close your eyes and rest.” Alex’s voice was all soothing bells and melody.  I stared at him wide eyed, my attention riveted on him. I had never heard him speak like this before, it was the most amazing sound I had ever heard and I could feel myself relaxing.  He leaned towards me and breathed slowly into my face, his breath warm, sweet, and so soothing. My eyes felt heavy and I felt as though I would fall asleep at any moment.
“Alex, what’s going on?  Why am I so tired?” I blinked trying to shake off my lethargy.
“You are safe, Anna.  I won’t let anything happen to you.  Now rest and I’ll wake you when we’re home, I promise.” His voice rang like bells again and my eyes closed as he pulled me closer and I sank into oblivion.  It was peaceful, but I still managed to hear a strange conversation while I was in this dream-like state.
“Is she asleep?” I heard Cassy asked.
“I think so.  George let’s get out of here, she doesn’t look so good,” Alex said urgently.
“I’m pretty worried about her myself.  I’ve never seen anything like it, she went so pale and her eyes; did you see her irises?  They almost went liquid!  That’s not something a human can do.  What is she?” George’s voice was soft and questioningly, full of worry.

“I wish I knew,” Alex whispered “I’m really worried about her.  I don’t know what I’d do if anything were to happen to her.” I could hear the fear in his voice.

“We all know you love her, Alex.  The real question is what would you do to keep her? Would you claim her in order to keep her?  To keep her safe from her father and his family? Would you actually be willing to do the one thing you promised you wouldn’t do?” George whispered.

“I don’t know George, I want to but I could never betray her like that.” Alex’s voice was sad and far away.

“You’ll have to make a choice Alex, and likely sooner than you want to,” Cassy whispered.

“I know,” His voice was so uncertain.  I wanted to reach out to them, tell them not to worry but it was just a dream, a strange far away dream.  At least I think it was.  I didn’t hear any more far away voices as I drifted deeper into a dreamless sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment