Chapter 26: Phone Call
Arriving home Lizzy gently shook me awake.
“Anna we’re home,” I blinked and looked blearily
up at her, confused at how had I fallen asleep on her lap. She just smiled at me.
“Well I
guess I make a good pillow,” she chuckled softly. I sat up blinking as we pulled into the driveway.
I smiled sheepishly at Lizzie,
“Sorry about that. You could have woken me.”
“Are you kidding? Alex has been in my head for hours and if you
think I could move you without him having a hissy fit in my head, and then
again when I got home, you’re out of your mind!” she teased. “Besides, I really didn’t mind. You looked very peaceful and you needed the
sleep.”
“Thanks.
Don’t let your big brother boss you around. If I fall asleep on you, you’re allowed to
ask me to move,” I smiled.
We got out of the car and collected our things,
hauling our wonderful treasures inside.
I was looking forward to seeing Alex, but the house was completely
empty.
“Where is everyone?” I asked looking around the
empty room.
“Stephan, Will and Max are following your
father, and George and Alex are hunting.
They should all be home around one this afternoon,” Katie said reading
the note on the counter. I nodded.
“I’m going to put my stuff away and take a nap.
I’m still a bit tired,” I said as I left
the kitchen.
I walked into Alex’s room, smiling because it
smelled just like him. I hadn’t realized
that I missed his smell so much. I hung
up my new dress in the closet and put away my new clothes and bathing suits,
then I had a quick shower and laid down on the bed we shared and fell asleep
comforted by his familiar sent. I woke
up around one thirty and Alex was sitting on the edge of the bed watching
me. I smiled sleepily at him.
“Hey, did you have a good hunting trip?” I
asked.
“Not really, I was too worried about you. I had no idea you had witnessed your mother’s
murder. We all watched the video when we got back. We sent it to a few friends of ours in the FBI
and CSIS (Canadian Security Intelligence Service), and they said they would
start a joint investigation,” he said.
“Thanks for telling me.”
“So, what would you like to do today?” Alex
asked changing the subject.
“Could we just go for a walk? I haven’t really seen the property and it
would be nice to get outside.” I looked at him hopefully. He looked at me sadly so I knew something
wasn’t right.
“Alex, is anything going on that I need to know
about?” He looked back at me surprised,
then sighed and said,
“Your father is back in town. He believes that you’re here in Huntsville
and he’s sending his men to watch each of the schools. That means it’s going to be difficult to get
you in and out of school undetected and if they start talking to the students
it’s really going to get dicey. We’re
working on contingency plans. Plus, I
think we need to let the principal know that you’re in danger, that way the
teachers will be aware and will watch out for any strange men or women on the
property,” he said seriously.
“Okay, if you think that’s the safest thing to
do, then do it. I don’t want to be
caught by surprise and having extra eyes and ears on our side would definitely help,”
I said confidently. “I’ll call James and ask him to meet us at the principal’s
office in the morning or do you think we should go to his house and speak to
him away from the school?”
“We could see if he is available to come here. Call James and see if he’s free and I’ll get
Max to call the principal at home,” said Alex.
I nodded and picked up the phone.
“Hi James, it’s Anna. No, no, everything is fine. We were wondering if you be able to come over
for a bit because we need to talk to you and principal Stevens at the same
time. No, don’t worry, we’ll explain
everything when you get here. Okay, see
you in twenty minutes.” I sighed as I hung up the phone and looked sadly at
Alex as he walked back into the room. This
situation was getting more dangerous each day.
I had taken the opportunity to pull on my jeans and sweater while Alex
was out of the room. He strode over to
me noticing the sadness in my eyes and I fit myself against his comforting solidness,
snaking my arms around his waist and placed my head on his shoulder. He wrapped his arms around me tightly as I breathed
in his familiar sent sighing happily as he gently kissed my forehead. I inhaled deeply enjoying our closeness and
the profound sense of love, safety and comfort I felt with him.
“I missed your sent. I hadn’t realized that until
I walked into your room this morning” I confessed.
“I missed you too,” He smiled into my hair. “I missed looking at you and watching you
sleep. You look so peaceful and serene,
like an angel,” he said quietly. I
turned my head so I could look at his face.
“Thanks. Do you always watch me sleep?” I asked
curiously.
“Not all the time. I usually work on the computer while you’re
sleeping so that I don’t disturb you because I only need to sleep about three
hours a night. Sometimes I sleep longer,
but that’s usually after I’ve been up for a few days in a row.” he replied.
He kissed my forehead again before breaking our
embrace to take my hand in his. We
headed down the hall holding hands. It
felt like heaven, just the feel of his warm hand on mine. It was hard to believe that he was only half
human. I had never seen his other side
and I was sure it would be ferocious. The door bell rang as we walked into the
family room. James and Mr. Stevens
arrived shortly after two thirty in the afternoon and Max and George filled
them in on my situation while I listened quietly. After Mr. Stevens left, James watched the
video for himself. He asked me if he
could have a copy so he could try to identify all the men involved. He told me he was planning on using his
connections in the military and government to find the scum that had performed
such a heinous crime. Of course I agreed.
No comments:
Post a Comment