Chapter 28: The Prom
In
almost no time, Prom was here. Everyone
was abuzz with excitement, and Lizzy and Cassy were no different. I, on the other hand was stressed out than
excited for prom to finally have arrived.
All the high schools were holding their proms on the same night. Some of the students were planning on
splitting their time between two proms because their date was from a different
school. I really didn’t even want to go
to one prom. I was a bundle of nerves.
“Anna, you need to lighten up, it will be fun
tonight. A masquerade is always the
coolest. No one knows who’s who. It’ll
be great, now come on and start getting ready,” Lizzy pleaded. She was looking at me so hopefully I had to
laugh.
“Well, you had better put on some upbeat music,
because that’s what I need.”
“I’m on it!” she crowed happily bouncing up off
the chair. Suddenly the house was
blasting with upbeat pop music. I felt
my mood lightening almost immediately.
Only the girls were home. The boys wisely thought it would be a good
idea to go out while we spent most of the day getting ready. I went to the room I shared with Alex and
decided to start with a long, hot shower which always helped me to relax. As I luxuriated under the steaming water I
started day dreaming about the day Alex had asked me to the prom. I had just come back to school after being
off sick with mono for six and a half weeks.
We were standing in the hall by
my locker.
“Anna” Alex said quietly.
“Yes” I replied gazing into his amazing
green eyes.
“I was wondering….” he stopped and took
my hand in his. It sent shivers up my
spine.
“Since we missed our date before new year,
because you were sick, would you be my date for the Prom?” He asked smiling
warmly at me.
My heart had started to race and I could
feel the blood rushing to my cheeks. I
bit my lower lip hide my reddened cheeks smiling to myself. Alex gently raised my chin with his hand so
that I had to look into his eyes.
“I would like that very much,” I
whispered. He smiled at me, his eyes
sparkling as the sun came through the window by my locker. He lightly trailed his fingers over the curve
of my hotly blushing cheek and I could feel my head starting to spin. Then Will had appeared behind Alex. He nudged
him,
“So did you finally
ask her or what?” he smirked. “I hope you turned him down Anna, that way I can
bug the hell out of him.”
Alex sighed and shook
his head. “Way to kill the mood, Will! She
said yes, now leave us alone.”
“Ohhh, so that’s the
way it’s going to be now is it? So are
you two officially an item yet?” Will teased nudging Alex again.
I blushed deeper and turned away from
both of them.
“Will, would you
please stop pushing me. I just got back
to school,” I said in an angry whisper. “Alex and I are friends and I don’t
want to ruin that.”
“Awww, you know that
I’m just teasing, Anna,” Will complained rolling his eyes at me. Alex looked like he was ready to punch
him. I placed my hand on Alex’s arm and
looked into his eyes.
“Thank you for asking
me, I’ve never been to a Prom before. I’m sure it’ll be a lot of fun,” I said warmly. Then I turned to Will, stuck my tongue out at
him and started: “Stop being an annoying
big brother type.” I then spun on my heels and walked away grinning as I listened
to both of them trying to stifle their laughter.
Remembering this made me laugh. I never would have thought that I would become
so close to any one family as I was to this strange family of vampires and half
humans. I had never felt so at home and
at ease as I did since coming to Huntsville.
James, the Worthingtons and the Foxworths had welcomed and protected me,
no questions asked. They knew more about
me than I did and it was nice to finally just be myself without having to
concoct a story. I looked in the mirror as I towel dried my hair and smiled
contently. I found a blue track suit and
slipped it on, then I walked back to the bathroom and started on my hair. I had put moose into my hair, dried it and
put Velcro rollers in when Lizzy joined me in the bathroom looking fabulous with
her hair piled onto her head with elaborate curls and twists.
“How are you making out?” she asked smiling me.
“Well, the hair is underway and I was going to
start working on exfoliating my skin.
Since it’s only four o’clock I know we have lots of time to do a few extras,”
I said winking at her.
“That’s a great idea. Cassy you should do that
too,” Lizzy said in a slightly raised voice.
Cassy was in my bathroom in a flash, her hair in an elaborate array of
braids and long curls. I had never seen anything like it.
“Wow. Cassy your hair is amazing! You should do
movies,” I said awed.
“Thank you. It’s my favourite style,” she replied. “So exfoliation time. Let’s go to my room, my bathroom is bigger
and I think I have the perfect products.”
Once we finished in Cassy’s room I went back to my bathroom to put on my
make up before I took the rollers out of my hair. Lizzy came in to help. We slowly pulled out the rollers and used a
special hair putty to mould the curls.
Lizzy finished my hair with a beautiful blue and white rhinestone comb,
I stared into the mirror pleased with the finished product. Long curls flowed softly half way down my
back. Lizzy spotted my mother’s necklace
on the counter, picked it up and looked at it for a moment, then turned with
the clasp open to help me put it on.
“Thank you,” I smiled softly.
“It’s a beautiful piece Anna, your mother had
excellent taste in jewellery,” she stated matter of factly.
I smiled warmly. “Thanks, I like to wear it on special occasions. It’s a little piece of her that I get to
carry with me,” I said smiling at our reflections in the mirror. I glanced at the clock and my eyes widened.
“We better get our dresses on, the guys will be
back soon. I hate being late,” I said looking
at Lizzy.
“No problem Anna. Now this is your first official date, so it
should be a great night for you and I want you to have fun. Please promise me you’ll enjoy tonight,” she
pled.
“I promise to have fun and I’m sure you’ll do
everything you can to keep me busy when I’m not with Alex.” I laughed shaking my
head as I headed into the bedroom to retrieve my dress from the closet.
My dress was a light green strapless gown that reached
my ankles. The bodice was made of a
crimped chiffon that hugged my body and flowed into a skirt made of long layers
of chiffon that gave the impression the dress was floating on my skin. The colour emphasized my eyes making them a
deeper shade of jade green that was complimented by my peaches and cream complexion
that I had inherited from my mother. I
looked in the mirror one last time pleased with the picture I made. All I had left to do was put on my clear strappy
three inch heels. Which would make me almost
as tall as Alex. I grabbed my matching
clutch and made my way to the dining room as I heard the guys come through the
front door.
“We better see if the girls are ready,” Will
said walking into the foyer with Alex and George.
“I’m sure Lizzy will be ready, but you know
Cassy, she rushes right to the last minute,” George replied fondly.
“We better get changed or they’ll have our
hides,” I heard Alex say as he went down the hall towards our room. George walked into the dining room and
stopped abruptly staring at me as I slowly turned to greet him.
He whistled softly “Anna you look amazing. I don’t think Alex will let you out of the
house looking this good,” he teased.
“Thank you.
I’m sure Cassy will knock your socks off when you see her,” I smiled
delighted at the compliment.
“She always does,” he beamed. “Well, I better
get dressed I just wanted to see how you were doing.”
“I’m good. Kind of excited, but don’t tell Alex that.” I
winked as George laughed and left the room.
I wondered out onto the small deck off the kitchen to wait for the
others to finish getting ready. Lizzy
and Will were the first to join me. They
were the perfect couple; Will in his well tailored tux and Lizzy in a beautiful
pale pink silk dress with spaghetti straps the dress showed off her curves
amazingly.
“Everyone will know there’s something up with
you two. You both look absolutely stunning,” I complimented.
“Thanks,” Lizzy replied. Then she winked at me,
“I don’t think Alex will want to go out when he sees you I have a feeling he
will want to keep you all to himself. He
doesn’t like to share, and I should know,” she teased.
I laughed and shook my head, “You’re not the only one who’s said that to
me tonight.”
“Anna, promise me now that you’ll save me a
dance. That way Alex can’t object,” Will
said grinning at me.
“Of course I will dance with you Will, but if
and only if Lizzy is in agreement,” I teased him. He laughed.
Cassy and George joined us a minute or two later.
“Wow we’re ready before Alex. That’s a first,” Cassy giggled.
“Oh! He’ll never live this down,” George said
as he smiled at Will. I could tell by
their expressions the two of them were already thinking of snide remarks. I just smiled and shook my head. The others went into the house while Will and
George went to get the cars. George and
Cassy left shortly afterwards.
I was standing on the deck looking at the
forest admiring the different shades of green. I loved spring, it was my favourite season
with everything blooming and coming to life.
“Anna” I heard Alex call my name softly from
behind me and I smiled. I hadn’t even
heard him walk onto the deck. As I turned slowly to face him I was awed he was
the most beautiful creature I had ever set eyes on. His black tux fit him perfectly, he was
stunning. He looked like a renaissance
painting brought to life or the handsome prince from a fairy tale. I gazed admiringly into his amazing green
eyes, completely lost in the moment.
“You look stunning Anna,” he smiled as he took
in my transformation.
“Thank you. You look wonderful too,” I beamed
at him; my prince charming for the night.
I walked toward him and slowly reached my hand to his cheek wanting to
commit every moment of this night to memory.
He leaned down and gently brushed his lips over mine. He gazed lovingly into my eyes again for a
long moment then sighed and shook his head.
“We better get going. Lizzy and Will are getting impatient,” he said
grudgingly.
“I was told that you wouldn’t let me out of the
house,” I teased.
“I might not. I don’t want any of your other admirers to get
any ideas,” he replied as he gently ran his fingers down my cheek.
“Gee and I thought it was because you were
supposed to be selfish. At least that’s
what your sister told me,” I grinned at him.
He laughed and grabbed my hand leading me to the front door where the others
were waiting.
We arrived at the school about fifteen minutes
later and we parked beside George’s car.
He and Cassy were chatting with a group of other students. Alex came around and opened the car door for
me offering his hand to help me out. He
kept my hand in his we slowly walked towards the school. I saw Jeff and Tisha and Christine and Joel
with their usual group of friends. I
waved to Christine and her jaw dropped when she realized who I was.
“Oh my GOD!!! Anna you look amazing! Where did you get that dress? I’ve never seen anything like it,” Christine gushed.
“You look great too Alex,” she said trying not to stare openly at him. I must
admit, Alex and his family were very distracting when they dressed up. Everyone was staring at the beautiful picture
they made.
“Thank you Christine, I got it in Toronto last
weekend, it was a lucky find,” I replied, “you look so beautiful too! It’s nice to see everyone all dressed up,” I
said gazing around.
She beamed at me. “We should go inside the music is starting to get
good.”
We all headed into the gym after saying hello
to our friends and exchanging compliments.
The gym had been transformed into masquerade ballroom with streamers and
crepe paper. There was an archway into
the gym that was covered with twinkle lights and green ivy. Everyone was either dancing or sitting at
tables talking. We found a table with
the rest of our group and grabbed some snacks and drinks which we left on the
table.
“Shall we?” Alex asked holding his hand out to
me and looked at the dance floor.
“Sure,” I smiled placing my hand in his.
We walked onto the dance floor and Alex twirled me around to face him. I placed my left hand on his shoulder and he
put his hand on my back and pulled me close, and then we were twirling around
the room. Lizzy and Will were dancing
too and she smiled as we went by. I gazed
into his eyes and I was lost yet again.
I couldn’t look away; His eyes swirled with emotion and he had a soft
smile on his lips. He looked perfectly
content; I’d never seen him like this before.
I smiled to myself, glad that he was happy because I was happy too.
What bliss, another perfect memory, I thought to myself. It was like we were the only two people in
the room dancing together and gazing into each other eyes. I didn’t want this experience to end, I felt
so completely safe and loved.

No comments:
Post a Comment