Chapter 27: The garden
“Can we get out of here? I need to get some air,” I said looking into
Alex’s eyes. He took my hand and led me
to the back yard. As we walked slowly
hand in hand towards the trees I noticed they had an interesting shape. As we got closer I realized I wasn’t looking
at trees, but at an archway of climbing roses.
They weren’t in bloom yet since it was too early in the season, and the
leaves on the trees, bushes and vines had only begun blossoming a few weeks ago
so the trees were just starting to look full.
As we walked through the archway we entered into the most beautiful
secret garden I had ever seen. I stopped
suddenly and gazed around in wonder. The
spring flowers were a rainbow of colours, pinks, purples, yellows, oranges,
reds and white. It made me feel like I had just walked into a story book it was
so perfect. There was a large white
classic-looking fountain in the centre with benches surrounding it and the
trees in the background were draped with ivy which gave them a majestic look.
“It’s absolutely breath taking,” I said completely
awed.
“I knew you’d like it.” Alex said smiling tenderly at me. We walked to the other side of the water
fountain and nestled under the trees was an old-fashioned swing bench that
blended into the garden so well that I hadn’t even noticed it. We sat on the swing
and slowly rocked back and forth.
“This place is magical,” I breathed. I inhaled deeply enjoying the fragrances. It was so amazing, each scent blended into
the next and I sighed happily as a cool breeze played with the loose tendrils
of my hair. Alex caught one of these in
his fingers and gently tucked it behind my ear. I could feel my heart quicken as his hand
softly brushed my cheek. I looked at our
hands intertwined and noted how perfectly they fit together. I smiled happily and looked up into his vivid
emerald green eyes. I could gaze into his
eyes forever. I felt like I was falling
into their hypnotic depths; it was hypnotic, and I couldn’t seem to look away. Alex’s eyes had never affected me like this
before and mesmerized I moved closer to him and placed my free hand gently on
his cheek. Somehow I knew his
temperature had increased slightly and my breathing started to quicken in
response. My fingers moved slowly from
his face to play with his hair. Alex
placed his free hand gently under my chin and raised it slowly. My heart was hammering in my chest as he
slowly leaned down and brushed his lips gently over mine. His lips were warm and soft as they moved searchingly
against mine. His breath was warm and
sweet and my lips parted slightly responding to his. My fingers tangled in his hair, pulling him
closer. His tongue traced my lower lip sending
a shiver up and down my spine as he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me
into his solid chest. His tongue
searched for mine, and I responded eagerly and passionately. My head swirled and my heart was beating so
hard I wasn’t sure it would stay in my chest.
All I knew was that I didn’t want
this feeling to stop. When Alex slowly
pulled away, I was breathless. He smiled
at me mischievously.
“Well, for someone who’s never dated you do
that rather well,” he teased. I blushed
and buried my head into his shoulder as he chuckled softly and kissed my
hair. I squeezed closer to him.
“I feel like I’m in a dream. The best dream ever, and I don’t want it to
end,” I admitted as I inhaled deeply and sighed happily. He tightened his arms around me pulling me
closer.
“I feel the same way you know. I want to remember this moment forever,” he
whispered in my ear. We sat on the bench
for a little while longer and watched the sun set. The sky was a beautiful orangey-red and the
clouds had a pinky purple glow. It was starting to get cooler, so we finally
got up and started to walk back towards the house. It was the perfect end to a very long day.
The next day we went to school. As expected there was an assembly held first
thing in the morning. Everyone was
buzzing about Prom, so the assembly was a surprise this late in the year.
“Good morning everyone” Mr. Stevens said
talking into the microphone as he stood on the stage facing the students.
“Morning,” everyone replied.
“I’ve gathered you here today for an important announcement. I received some news yesterday that concerns
all of you,” he took a breath and started again.
“I want to remind you that in order for you and
your date to get into the Prom you both must be wearing a clear ID bracelet.
You will not be allowed in without it, and if you are caught not wearing one it
will result in you being removed from the prom and an automatic suspension,” he
said sternly. A collective groan rose
from the assembled students.
“There is a reason why we are doing things this
way. We have received reports that there
are strangers in town looking for someone.
We do not know who that someone is, but these men have been seen hanging
around the school parking lots. The
principals of the other high schools, and myself, are concerned for your safety
and we ask that if any of you see anyone that shouldn’t be here, please report
it to the office immediately,” he announced.
“Mr. Stevens,” one of the students called.
“Yes Sarah,” he said looking at her.
“I saw a man with a camera in the parking lot
this morning taking pictures. Is that
what you mean?” she asked. I looked at
Alex, Will, and Lizzy my eyes wide and my hands started shaking. Alex squeezed my hand reassuringly while the
others remained expressionless.
“What did this man look like Sarah?” Mr.
Stevens asked.
“Tall, short dark hair, tanned skin. He definitely didn’t look like he was from
around here.” she replied.
Alex held me in place because he knew I wanted to run, but the only
thing we could realistically do was wait.
After the assembly we all returned to class. Everyone was buzzing with the news wondering aloud
who these strange men could be looking for.
Alex and Will spent our lunch break outside
looking around while Lizzy and I sat at our usual table and quietly picked at
our lunch. I was so nervous and anxious
I could hardly sit still.
“Would you please calm down Anna, you’re
driving me nuts! Nothing is going to
happen,” Lizzy whispered harshly to me.
“I can’t help it. I just don’t feel safe. I would rather be at your place, not here,” I
said honestly. Lizzy looked at me
sympathetically.
“Even if they did find you, they wouldn’t dare touch
you with all these witnesses,” she said confidently.
“I’m not so sure about that. They shot Alex and my friend Paul in a public
place,” I reminded her.
“You’re safe Anna. This is the best place for you to be. Now we had better get to class,” she said as
she grabbed her bag and tray and stood up ready to leave. I know that Lizzy was doing her best to keep
me calm, but I could see the cracks in her calm demeanour. Saying nothing, I just nodded and followed
her out of the cafeteria.
The rest of the week passed without
incident. I was able to get to and from
school without any trouble, and the man with the camera had not returned. However I was still wary of my safety. I had to be – I couldn’t let my guard down
even though I had some powerful protectors.

No comments:
Post a Comment